Some interesting information for tipbox owners

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Some interesting information for tipbox owners

Postby soc » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:47 pm

I just heard from a friend in work (who got the info from a mechanic in Wexford) that the tipboxin the FTO has an oil cooler in the gearbox - apparently this is necessary for all high performance cars with autoboxes. Anyway this guy said that the FTO's oil cooler is prone to leaking inside the gearbox which results in the oil boiling and greatly reducing its effectiveness...... could this be the reason so many tipbox fail??

He recommended that for anyone with a tip FTO if you find you are loosing coolant but cannot find an obvious leak then get the cooling system/pipes for the gearbox checked cause this could be the culprit.

Has anyone ever heard anything like this?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:12 pm

I thought the FTO tip box was somehow piped through the car’s cooling system and didn’t have it’s own independent cooler.
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:17 pm

adrian wrote:I thought the FTO tip box was somehow piped through the car’s cooling system and didn’t have it’s own independent cooler.

maybe that's what he meant - I think what he was getting at is that they can leak into the box and dilute the oil which causes boiling etc..... eventually leading to a dead tipbox
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:13 pm

There are 2 aluminium pipes at the bottom of the the Rad on all FTO's with TIP boxes. These pipes carry coolant through the tip box. The pipes enter the top of the box near the selector.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:28 pm

Almost all auto box cars have an oil cooler in the bottom/cold tank of the rad, From my experience this brings atf from the gearbox into the rad and the oil is cooled and returned to the gearbox. This is the reason why you shouldnt tow an auto car as the gearbox will over heat.

If the oil cooler was leaking into your rad you'd see contamination in the coolant,

You could get a seperate rad to cool the oil independant of the engine rad if you were worried?

Cheer's

R
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Return to General FTO Discussion