Car is Serviced and Lowered.....

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Car is Serviced and Lowered.....

Postby soc » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:38 pm

Just back from getting the wheels balanced and tracking done after having the car lowered yesterday. Also got what amounted to a full service and the car is running pretty damn smooth atm.

It cost me 300 euro all in for all the following:

* engine flush
* change oils and filters (engine and gearbox) + cylinder head lube (to quieten the tappets, makes a big difference)
* new plugs front and rear (previous owner had put normal (non-platinum) plugs in the back bank of cylinders)
* spot weld exhaust (cause it was blowing slightly)
* fit Apex lowering springs (from Camskill)
* check disks, pads, bushes etc.

I suppose 300 euro aint bad considering all the work that was done

And for anyone thinking of going the lowering route.... I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference to the way the car drives - slightly harder (but not much) but way more direct and with a lot more feel from the wheels - worth every penny!!!

Now all I need to do is break open the piggy bank for some wheels and maybe some type-f bits for inside :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:49 am

Very reasonable price considering the work that was done. Did your mechanic in Lusk undertake this?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:38 am

CJ wrote:Very reasonable price considering the work that was done. Did your mechanic in Lusk undertake this?

Ciaran

Yup, they're now servicing 2 FTO's (and both are GR's I think). They're pretty on the ball and are straight up and honest - that's the best thing about them.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:02 am

As a matter of interest, does the lowering effect the exhaust hitting speed bumps? I noticed mine tends to scrap a bit when I go over them if I go anyway fast (not foot down but if I am not crawling).
Does lowering not increase the possibility of this happening?
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:42 am

I've never had this problem (on two FTO's) with either the Mongose or standard exhausts. Hitting speed bumps at speed with lowered suspension is not to be recommended though ;)

Ciaran

Ivan E wrote:As a matter of interest, does the lowering effect the exhaust hitting speed bumps? I noticed mine tends to scrap a bit when I go over them if I go anyway fast (not foot down but if I am not crawling).
Does lowering not increase the possibility of this happening?
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ivan E » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:52 pm

I can imagine alright. With my front bumper it isn't wise to go with the lowering in any case. But the exhaust does tend to scrap a bit going over large speed bumps so have to be careful there.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to General FTO Discussion