FTO Lambo Doors - Where Not To Go

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

FTO Lambo Doors - Where Not To Go

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:46 am

So I was searching around for companies that do lambo door kits for the fto and one that came up in the searches was Scissor Doors Inc. On June 19th 2012 the price for the fto bolt on door kit was $799.99USD. The weld on kit was and still is $699.99USD. After exchanging a few emails, I would recommend against this company, because imo, they are not competent enough to price the things, let alone make them. The boring email history is below if you want to see what I mean. The price is now $2799.99USD for the bolt on kit. Amazing difference based on an assumption explained below. Delivery was quoted at $199USD.

From: Gary McGrath Email: (my email addy) ------------------------------------------------------ I am interested in the lambo door kit for a Mitsi FTO. I am finding it difficult to settle with any one company, because I am hearing stories that adjustments need to be made for every single kit if I order for my fto. I also hear that they are not designed for every day use, but rather for weekend/showcars. Can you fill in the blanks for me? I would also be interested in the pricing of the remote control door opening mechanism and to know how this works. Delivery would be to Ireland too, so a price on this would be needed. I look forward to hearing from you.

Subject: Re: Message from Scissor Doors
Date: Tue, June 19, 2012 6:47 pm
To: Gary

Hello Gary,
Thank you for your inquiry. Although we don't keep a Lambo Door Kit in stock for your Mitsubishi FTO, we can do a custom order bolt on system for you. This is not a popular conversion for us due to it's limited production, however we can produce a direct fit application that is designed to bolt in place of your factory hinges. The production time is 3-5 weeks however the end product will be worth it! All of our products are backed with a lifetime warranty and guaranteed to not come out of adjustment. Our Direct Bolt On Lambo Door kits come complete with both drivers and passenger side door hinges, gas lift supports, gas lift mounts, hardware and installation guide.
The cost of the custom built conversion is $2849 USD plus $199 for shipping to Ireland. On custom order conversions we can accept payment via check, money order, bank wire transfer or Western Union.
If you have any questions, or would like to place an order, please don't hesitate to contact us again at anytime.

Regards

Scissor Doors Inc

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:43:06 -0700, gary wrote:

There is a serious inconsistency with the price you gave me and the price advertised on your website, which is 699.99 usd for the weld on kit and 799.99 usd for the bolt on kit for the mitsubishi fto 94-00. $2849 is a massive difference in price, more than 3 times higher than advertised. I might have considered paying $800 and maybe more with the remote control unit, but your pricing is way off the mark and contradicts what you have advertised on site here. That's a very quick way to lose a great deal of business. The fact that your reply did not have a personal name is also discouraging and lacks that personal touch I look for when doing business. I will take my business elsewhere.
Gary

Subject: RE: Message from Scissor Doors
Date: Thu, June 21, 2012 4:50 pm
To: <gary>

Hello Gary,
Thank you for your email. unfortunately there was a discrepancy in the listing. Our pricing was based on the GTO and FTO having the same bolt pattern. Because we cannot confirm (fto's were not sold here)this we had to price it as a special order. If you could confirm that the bolt patter is the same as a GTO AKA 3000gt AKA doddge stealth. Then we will sell you a bolt kit at $799.99.
We apologize for the confusion and look forward to hearing back from you.
Regards,
Matt
Scissor Doors Inc
1-506-455-8968

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:31:05 -0700, gary wrote:

Hello Matt,
The FTO was not launched in Ireland either, but like the USA, a few people shipped them over privately. The assumption that the fto and gto bolt are the same is a poor way of pricing and still does not explain why you priced it differently when I made my enquiry. I don't think its wise to price something over an assumption, because this could lead to lost revenue, as well as anger and confusion, as it has in this case. I am not in the car modification business, but the quoted price would seem to be very excessive if the base price is anything to go from. What I understood of your site, is that many of the units were custom made (including the gto), which would not explain the sudden jump in an fto scissor door pack.
All that aside, I cannot confirm if the bolt pattern is the same on the fto and gto. If you have never produced a scissor door pack for an fto, I would have no confidence in the end product either way. I appreciate your reply, but I will be ordering from a company with fto experience and proper pricing guide lines.
Gary

Subject: RE: Message from Scissor Doors
Date: Sun, June 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Hello Gary,
Thank you for your email. We appreciate your feedback but now that the mistake was caught the pricing has been corrected.
With regards to the bolt pattern of the two vehicles. We are referring to the factory hinge bolt pattern, not a scissor door or lambo door bolt pattern as they are the same thing.
Unfortunately for you there isn't a company the world over that makes a kit for the GTO, and we are the only company that will do a custom order, so it appears that you will not be ordering a lambo door or scissor door kit from anyone, unless they are claiming it will work just to get your money.
Thank you for contacting us.
Regards,
Scissor Doors Inc.
www.scissor-doors.com
sales@scissor-doors.com
1-506-455-8968

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 08:47:37 -0700, gary wrote:
> Fortunately for me, I am not looking for a GTO kit and I am aware of a half dozen companies offering kits for the FTO, which is what I am looking for. Thus far, I have one company in the UK who I will likely be ordering from. Shockingly, their advertised price is the price they quoted, with a discount if I order the remote unlock kit. So, it does look like I will be ordering, but not from you. Your response was both childish and the information within was inaccurate. "The world over" is more than just the USA by the way. There are several companies in Germany alone, which can do custom lambo doors. There are two in Italy that I found and I am sure there are many more. I do my research and make contact before making any decisions. I assure you, that the mitsubishi owners of Ireland will not be ordering from you. Your responses, including the incorrect information and botched pricing will be made available to them.
> Gary

Date: Sun, Jun 24, 2012 9:49 pm
Hello Gary,

Thank you for your reply. We did not mean to be rude just to the point. This can often be misunderstood over emails. We apologize if we came off as rude, or childish, it was not our intention at all. We are more concerned that you might not receive exactly what you had hoped for, and if it does "fit" that it wouldn't be properly rigid and sturdy as we all to commonly see in the lambo door industry, the world over, the North American market included.

Please take a moment (if you haven't already) to look at our custom order lambo door hinge gallery http://scissor-doors.com/lambo-doors.php. Reading your emails it is clear that you have an eye for quality and we would like you to be totally informed as to the engineering that goes into a rock solid lambo door hinge system.

Please contact us with any question you have.

We look forward to hearing from you regardless of where you purchase from. Also if you are installing your hinge system after hours or cannot get ahold of the company you ordered from when it is convenient please do not hesitate to use our 24/7 technical support here:

https://a4.websitealive.com/711/operato ... nquestion=

Any one of our tech reps would be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Scissor Doors Inc.

www.scissor-doors.com

sales@scissor-doors.com

1-506-455-8968

MY THOUGHTS: It's certainly possibly I misinterpreted their email, but that doesn't excuse some of the grave mistakes they made, as a company claiming such high quality. Should the customer be left to establish bolt patterns? Should they not have been honest that they have not produced an fto kit, rather than saying that it wasn't "a popular conversion" for them. Misleading for sure. If I were to order a kit from these guys, I reckon I would be having serious regrets. I wonder how many other kits are custom guessed.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: FTO Lambo Doors - Where Not To Go

Postby the real technikhaus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Very interesting read there. Definitely will not be going to them!

Please do keep us updated on who you do order from as I'd be very interested to know!
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:20 pm

No problem. If I order anything for my fto, this is the first place I come to post my info.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gt94 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 pm

I know each to there own i just dont like lambo doors on ftos, i would perfer to spend that kind of money on brakes upgrade or a nice front bumper and side skirts.It killed me to spend E400 on tires during the week but they were needed badly, i couldnt spend that much on hinges.
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:36 pm

gt94 wrote:I know each to there own i just dont like lambo doors on ftos, i would perfer to spend that kind of money on brakes upgrade or a nice front bumper and side skirts.It killed me to spend E400 on tires during the week but they were needed badly, i couldnt spend that much on hinges.

+ 1 - if I had a grand to spend on an FTO - I'd be putting it towards a big brake kit and/or a set of lightweight rims or better tyres.

Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:15 pm

The brakes are satisfactory and I don't drive like a lunatic, but I know the argument on brakes. Lambo doors I think look pretty cool on the fto. I have seen that lambo door slag ad before on this very forum (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12696&p=96261&hilit=lambo+doors#p96261), but it is very much cosmetic preference and I think it has some practical benefits too when parked a little too tight against a wall, which is common in my drive. The doors opening vertically would give that extra space to get in/out. Some might spend the money on a boy racer body kit, but i'm very happy with the original skirts and facelift bumper. tbh, i like the oe spoiler too, but I am sold now on bare-ass, or hks spoiler. Maybe in time I will do a serious brake upgrade, but I would defo put lambo doors above that for now.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:15 pm

How would a company in the US make a set of custom hinges for an fto without having one on site?
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:13 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
gt94 wrote:I know each to there own i just dont like lambo doors on ftos, i would perfer to spend that kind of money on brakes upgrade or a nice front bumper and side skirts.It killed me to spend E400 on tires during the week but they were needed badly, i couldnt spend that much on hinges.

+ 1 - if I had a grand to spend on an FTO - I'd be putting it towards a big brake kit and/or a set of lightweight rims or better tyres.

Sorry OT - but I know what happened to that yellow lambo after filling up there - check it out !!

From Youtube.com
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 am

colm_mcm wrote:How would a company in the US make a set of custom hinges for an fto without having one on site?

Oh, Oh, I know this one. They assume it's the same as the GTO they have on site :lol:

The amount of crap leaking from those emails almost drove me insane. Most intelligent liars will at least wrap it up in a bit of truth, but the muppet on the key-board just kept walking into it, despite my early statement of no interest. The custom GTO ordering was my favourite bit.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion