Reverse selection problems

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Reverse selection problems

Postby fto52c » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:44 pm

I've always had problems getting the car in reverse, but have only recently been failing on a regular basis - so i've just started to deal with the problem, but could do with some advice.

I thought it was the locking mechanism getting stuck when i select 5th gear and not disengaging properly, however i've looked at it and it seems to be OK. My next thought is the synchro, but before i get in too deep does anyone have any specifics i should be checking?

Could it be as simple as changing the gearbox oil?
fto52c

Re: Reverse selection problems

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:25 pm

fto52c wrote:I've always had problems getting the car in reverse, but have only recently been failing on a regular basis - so i've just started to deal with the problem, but could do with some advice.

I thought it was the locking mechanism getting stuck when i select 5th gear and not disengaging properly, however i've looked at it and it seems to be OK. My next thought is the synchro, but before i get in too deep does anyone have any specifics i should be checking?

Could it be as simple as changing the gearbox oil?

http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20846

V similar problem.

MfFTO
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Reverse selection problems

Postby CJ » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:38 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20846

V similar problem.

MfFTO

Indeed, I had this problem in the GS (also affected 5th gear), one of the clips on the end of one of the selectors was bent. Not a major job to fix IIRC.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical