Just bought FTO! Mirror problem, please help!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Just bought FTO! Mirror problem, please help!

Postby dec1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum but it seems to be a great resource. I would apprecieate any help with my folding mirror problem. The problem is, they don't fold electronically at all, all i hear is a faint click when i push the switch. I did find an online guide with how to remove the mirror and re-attach the connections inside the mirror that control the folding capability. My problem is that upon removing the mirrors from the door, i found that there is no connector block to detach the mirror from the wires exiting the door pocket, the wires are permanently connected into the mirror with insulation tape around the connectors. However, the 2 brown wires do not enter the mirror at all, they were just loose inside the door, i can pull them out just about but then there are no brown wires coming out of the mirror to join them to. Does anyone know if it's feasible to put 2 new brown wires into the mirror (and where they would connect to) so i could then join them to the ones that were loose inside the door? I hope that's not too wordy and that i am making sense. Great forum! Dec.
dec1984
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Just bought FTO! Mirror problem, please help!

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Far as I remember, the connector block is inside the door anyway.
colm_mcm

Postby dec1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:56 pm

From the pics i have seen, the base of the mirror should have a connector block fixed into it, which mine doesn't, the cables just come from the door straight through into the mirror.
dec1984
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:21 pm

dec1984 wrote:From the pics i have seen, the base of the mirror should have a connector block fixed into it, which mine doesn't, the cables just come from the door straight through into the mirror.

That's right. There should be a connector block, but that doesn't really matter as long as all the wires are properly connected. Where are you based and what colour is your fto?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dec1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi, I'm in Manchester, not Ireland unfortunately. My fto is black.
dec1984
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 am

Did you get this problem sorted?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical