FTOless for another year?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

FTOless for another year?

Postby Uncle B » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Well all, long time since I've been on here, college stuff and then summer work etc. got in the way.
So after Mr Nolan got the old girl in working order after a huge slumber, all was good.

And still is really, only snag is that I'm heading up to the big smoke for year long masters in DCU.
The insurance and running costs are the only issue really, and I'm not sure its worth it as the house is only 5 mins cycle from college.
The insurance dropped from 1114 to 890 which is a step in the right direction but still quite dear when I have rent and other bills to contend with.
I have to admit the waft of car robberies going on is a bit off putting too...

So my question to the people of Dubland, is it worthwhile to take the motor with me?
I'll be living in Glasnevin, so the bus into town is fairly regular.
I know it makes financial sense not to but financial sense and this FTO never saw eye to eye!
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: FTOless for another year?

Postby goz_83 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:09 pm

I would have to tell you to xxxxxxxx, or I will have to steal it. Edited, keep it PC please

Public transport might be regular, but so are the junkies in the back. You don't "need" a car if you're close to college, but you do own an fto and by your own account, the sums have never added up economically.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 pm

FInd somewhere nice and safe you can park it up while you're away.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby StewyD32 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:21 pm

:whs . If your in glasnevin your only up the road from the college. Personally I'd leave it in Galway.
I'm sure you'll be back there every few weekends to take it out in Galway.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 pm

If your going to Glasnevin your only up the road from Finglas too. Just saying
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:30 pm

What does that mean Chris?
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm

colm_mcm wrote:What does that mean Chris?

:ll
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 pm

:lol:
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby Kace » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:04 pm

This all boils down to whether you can afford it. Don't worry about parking or security in Dublin - get yourself a BFO chain or motorbike lock if you're worried.

I presume you would drive the car at the weekend anyway down home, so you probably woudln't take it off the road, or would you ?

Off the road would probably allow you to save more than €2k all in, when you consider some fuel.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby White_Beast » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Personally i'd be FTO-less for a year. You'd save a huge amount of cash. Also between studies, are you going to have much time to drive it anyway? Or... try it for 2 - 3 months using public transport etc and if it doesn't work out, put the car back on the road.

I went backpacking for 2 years recently and had my FTO off the road (garaged) 1year previously (to save money), 2years during travels and 1year upon returning because it took me a while to get a job again. I got mine back on the road 1st Sept last week. Missed not driving it for 4years but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
1994 Mitubishi FTO GR owner 05 / April / 2005 to 06 / October / 2013
White_Beast
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby optical illusion » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Leave it in Galway.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:40 pm

It's true finglas is close by but not as bad as most people think it is. Then again ballymun is parallel to finglas more or less then you got phibsboro and cabra.
Worked in all these places for a few years and all have mainly bad points. Anyone who knows what I did for a profession will know I would be in most premises there and hear it all.
If you have a secure place bring it if not don't.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:47 pm

You're car is at risk no matter where you are. If it can be parked on a driveway, it's much safer. Seriously though, Glasnevin is not a bad place and both Finglas and Ballymun are cracked up to be much worse than they are. I wouldn't feel comfortable parking my car on the roadside in any of them over night, but then again, I wouldn't comfortable anywhere in Ireland if my car was left on the road over night. I've worked all over Dublin in residential sales and what I am tuned into is the fact that the scumbags will less likely steal from their own doorstep and will move to a "nicer" estate nearby. If you can park the fto in a driveway, then I would be doing this. It will be more expensive running the fto than using public transport, but I know I would doing everything possible to avoid using the bus.

How long has it been since you've been insured? Will you lose NCB if you go another year without a policy? Could you insure a piece of sh!t and then insure the fto (assuming 15 years old) as a classic, as you will be doing few miles?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies, there is a gated driveway at the house but there's really only room for 1 car and there's already one there...
I've just paid my fees but hoping for a grant to come through so I think I'll leave the decision making until then!

I've been insured up until August so no issue with losing my NCB anyway.
Hmm the classic option is interesting, I'll have to look into it for sure, who were you talking to about that Gary?
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Campion Insurance
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion