"No cash no test drive" -Explain

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

"No cash no test drive" -Explain

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:01 am

One of my pet hates are those agressive car sales ads, that basically tell you to go and F*(k off before you are even finished reading the ad, let alone taken the time out to actaully go and view the car :roll: (I thought these recessionary times would have stamped that out....how naive)
Can someone please explain the logic behind this gem "No cash no test drive".
Do they?
a. Expect you to pay for the test drive :smt017 If so WTF?
OR
b. Expect you to carry around a big wad of cash to display to them, to demonstrate that you are serious about their particular car, and will have the money to leave a deposit there and then :?: If so, anybody can drop by an ATM and pick up a few hundred bills, to wave under someones nose in order to show they are serious.
OR
c. They'll make a judgement call based on your appearance as the wheather they think you are monied enough to afford their car. :nwor
OR
d. Some other warped logic, not covered in the above options.

Discuss!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: "No cash no test drive" -Explain

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:36 am

I've gone to check out cars only to be told by the seller that I can't test drive it (some excuse about my insurance not covering it). When I go and see a car I want to drive the thing you fool!

While 'priced to sell' doesn't appear as much, theres still people out there who are unwilling to negotiate on price.

'px with cash my way' also annoys me (whats wrong with 'px considered'?), as do spelling mistakes, txt spk and technical inaccuracies.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:28 am

It is annoying. on the other hand I'd imagine particular cars attract dreamers or test pilots.
colm_mcm

Postby fatboyfat7 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:10 pm

CJ wrote:'px with cash my way' also annoys me (whats wrong with 'px considered'?), as do....
CJ

I dunno, I think thats different. Maybe the seller needs/wants cash and is prepared to p/x as long as they receive more than just a car. Its informative about possible deal, letting people know that a straight swap wouldnt happen. 'px considered' implies they are prepared to do a straight swap which may not be the case.

It is ridiculous that you couldn't test drive the car. Take your busiess elsewhere if they aren't going to take you seriously!
Fully functional White GPvR....
fatboyfat7
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby optical illusion » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:17 pm

fatboyfat7 wrote:
CJ wrote:
It is ridiculous that you couldn't test drive the car. Take your busiess elsewhere if they aren't going to take you seriously!

Indeed. I'd make sure to let them know what a twat they were before though.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:32 pm

I think the problem with a lot of ads (as per Mustang) is the nature of the language used, it often gives you an insight into the mind of the seller. Sellers need to be more flexible and less agressive these days, it is after all a buyers market. Defensively advertising car isn't going get the punters flocking in. Give the impression that you're willing to negotiate, it may very well widen the scope of interest. Be direct by all means but not to the point that you're putting off potential buyers.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:39 pm

CJ wrote:I think the problem with a lot of ads (as per Mustang) is the nature of the language used, it often gives you an insight into the mind of the seller. ...............

Nail on head - I simply wouldn't bother contacting a seller if he used language like "no tyre kickers" / "no test pilots" / "no cash no drive" - it says more about the seller than prospective buyers. Not the kind of seller I'd be interested in dealing with.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 pm

There are many such phrases that annoy me from the getgo, no test pilots, no dreamers, no tyre kickers, no timewasters -I don't like them but I understand what the are saying.
Some of the time I don't even think the seller is being intentionally agressive, I reckon some of them (a bit naive) just read a few adds with these key phrases and think -that is the lingo in need to use, it will make me look streetwise. :smt002
Guys I will be to the point here, Can some please explain to me in simple terms what "no cash no test drive" is supposed to mean, I'm not trying to be funny here I genuinely do not understand the message and the thought process behind it.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Mustang wrote:....... Can some please explain to me in simple terms what "no cash no test drive" is supposed to mean, I'm not trying to be funny here I genuinely do not understand the message and the thought process behind it.

Luuuk bud! If ya wanna drive the bus then ya gotta have the spondulics to show that yer seriouuus 'bout the kaaar and not jus going for a joyriuude like!

:smt102
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Mustang wrote:Can some please explain to me in simple terms what "no cash no test drive" is supposed to mean, I'm not trying to be funny here I genuinely do not understand the message and the thought process behind it.

I don't know if theres a definitive answer. It could mean:

a. I don't take cheques or drafts
b. Show me the colour of your money - i.e. have you brought a deposit?
c. Unless you temporarily hand over a cash deposit, you ain't drivin' my motor

Regardless of the definition, its too ambiguous to use in an ad. Its the parlance thicks if you ask me.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:12 am

I think they want to put off time wasters and want to have some kind of security in case you have a tap or decide to take off with the car. That's how I'd interpret it anyway.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:20 pm

No test drive - No purchase - end of..

I've always had the seller with me in the car anyways.. Test drove a little 306 gti6 before I got the fto (loved it btw class car that).
I was taking it easy cause we were in some town (could have been waterford) and the sellers girlfriend told me to give it some beans! So I did...Seller then went "That's more like it"..

Good job he was asking a bit too much money & the car was a minter so I didn't have anything I could use to haggle or I might have bought it...

anyways..

If I was a test pilot timewaster kindofguy those remarks in ads wouldn't put me off one bit..not a chance..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby soc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:24 pm

CJ wrote:I think the problem with a lot of ads (as per Mustang) is the nature of the language used, it often gives you an insight into the mind of the seller. Sellers need to be more flexible and less agressive these days, it is after all a buyers market. Defensively advertising car isn't going get the punters flocking in. Give the impression that you're willing to negotiate, it may very well widen the scope of interest. Be direct by all means but not to the point that you're putting off potential buyers.

CJ

I think the aggressive attitude is tactic used by both buyers and sellers - I've experienced both. When I was selling my second FTO I had one girl (who was very insistant on the phone) arrive with a possie (at least 6 of them) - boy was I glad I had her view the car in work!! Two of the lads started telling me there as an oil leak and I was "taking the pi$$" with the price and tried to make out I'd wasted their time so I should sell them the car for 3k instead of the asking price of 6k :shock: I won't lie, I was a little nervous and glad of the daylight and nearby security. Made me realise what scumbags are out there.

When I sold on the GTI after that I'm sorry to say I "appraised" all prospective buyers on the phone and if I didn't like the sound of them I told them the car was gone. It was worth it to save the chances of getting similar grief. I'd also only show the car in work and never at the house (whether people like it or not).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic