GPX Timing Belt Snapped

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

GPX Timing Belt Snapped

Postby hylander » Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi all :smt006
Its been a few years since iv last been on the forum as my car has been of the road due to its thirsty nature, I just got the seized calipers sorted and took it for a test run and BANG!!!! my belt snapped and my heart broke :cry: :cry:. the engine cut out and i had enough sense not to start it again. the belt was had been changed so suspect it was rubber rot, being off the road. Im left with the choice to fix or strip and scrap.

Would anyone know where i could find a guide on how to strip the cylinder heads off like a haynes manual? Or would anyone have any advice? searching the forum i could find a few other unlucky people. Im expecting bent valves at best, possibly second had heads, new belt at 80, heads gaskets at 25. Going to have a go a striping the heads off and see what the damage is. <snip - no advertising with less than 10 posts - CJ>. Cheers
hylander
1st gear
1st gear

Re: GPX Timing Belt Snapped

Postby goz_83 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Manual or auto? Also where you based?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby hylander » Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Its 1996 GPX Tip. Only 70,000 on the clock and its dead:(. Im based just north of the border on the M1 motorway near Newry 20mins from Belfast and 1Hrs 30Mins form Dublin.
hylander
1st gear
1st gear

Postby hylander » Fri May 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Sorry CJ didn't know about the advertising thing. hopefully i will take it apart and the engine will peachy and creaming and have not bent any valves and i wont have to chop it up..... yea right lol. may take a few pics tho for those that are interested.
hylander
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:11 pm

With such low miles, that's an engine you'll want to fix.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby hylander » Fri May 04, 2012 10:47 pm

Well i can only hope to fix at present, will have to see what nastyness i find inside its back hart. if do it will be a weekend car, iv spent a the gut of 2 grand keeping my crappy 50Mpg work Citroen on the road (hindsight is a wonderful thing) and don't have enough cash just to leave it into the garage so have to take on most of the work myself. sucks

i Recon i can get 2 used cylinder hear do about 170 Quid but im not sure if i could buy individual vales that i can replace anywhere and i could possibly replace the damaged valves. im just hoping the pistons aren't damaged. really don't have a clue what to expect. :!: :?
hylander
1st gear
1st gear

Postby steelroe » Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 pm

I would get a new timing belt on and do a compression test. I have seen these engines survive a broken belt before.
it will prob work out cheaper and quicker to just replace the engine. Less work aswell.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical