"Gearbox" update....thanks Shane!!

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

"Gearbox" update....thanks Shane!!

Postby adrian » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:27 am

Well all,

OK, first things first. The FTO (GS 4 sp TIP) is running sweet again!! I changed the plug leads (as shane suggested) to bran ew mitsi ones and when I floor it in 1st there is no judder at all!! I even tried it on my way to work this morning (wet road) and it spun off big time! It's driving so much better too. So, it was a dodgy lead not gearbox which is GREAT!! I am soooo happy.

Anyway,one thing. When I put it in Reverse and floor it the car DOES still judder. Is this normal because of load on the box?? I mean, why have the leads completely fixed it (as far as I can see) in Forward but not reverse? It's only when I floor it in Revere it happens....even semi-hard acceleration in reverse and it does not.

Any thoughts??
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Dean » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:51 am

Cool, so how much did that save you?
Dean
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: "Gearbox" update....thanks Shane!!

Postby soc » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:59 am

adrian wrote:Well all,

OK, first things first. The FTO (GS 4 sp TIP) is running sweet again!! I changed the plug leads (as shane suggested) to bran ew mitsi ones and when I floor it in 1st there is no judder at all!! I even tried it on my way to work this morning (wet road) and it spun off big time! It's driving so much better too. So, it was a dodgy lead not gearbox which is GREAT!! I am soooo happy.

Anyway,one thing. When I put it in Reverse and floor it the car DOES still judder. Is this normal because of load on the box?? I mean, why have the leads completely fixed it (as far as I can see) in Forward but not reverse? It's only when I floor it in Revere it happens....even semi-hard acceleration in reverse and it does not.

Any thoughts??

Glad to hear this mate - good to see the leads make sure a difference. But then its probably the first time they've been changed on the car. Dunno about reverse though - never floored my car in reverse. I suppose you should fit the speed sensors anyway.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:10 am

Dean wrote:Cool, so how much did that save you?

Well, if the reverse problem is, eh, not a problem and the box does not need doing then it's saved me €1500!!
If anyone else out there has a tip, could they floor it in reverse tonight and let me know the results?
My decision now should really be should I keep the car (as I know it's history and I have services it so religiously) for another year or two...and get it lowered etc...or go out and find a nice manual 2L now that I can honestly sell the car as being a good motor? PROBLEM...there are no good manual 2L's on the market ;o(

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:16 pm

adrian wrote:
Dean wrote:Cool, so how much did that save you?

Well, if the reverse problem is, eh, not a problem and the box does not need doing then it's saved me €1500!!
If anyone else out there has a tip, could they floor it in reverse tonight and let me know the results?
My decision now should really be should I keep the car (as I know it's history and I have services it so religiously) for another year or two...and get it lowered etc...or go out and find a nice manual 2L now that I can honestly sell the car as being a good motor? PROBLEM...there are no good manual 2L's on the market ;o(

A

Start advertising your car for sale - it may take a while for someone to come along that wants an FTO as its seems to be quite a niche market these days - at the same time start looking for a manual. But (as many people have found/said before me) manual's don't come cheap and don't come often so you may have to settle on a nice tip - just make sure you get it checked and get a warranty on the gearbox - should be ok then...
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:45 pm

shane wrote:Start advertising your car for sale - it may take a while for someone to come along that wants an FTO as its seems to be quite a niche market these days - at the same time start looking for a manual. But (as many people have found/said before me) manual's don't come cheap and don't come often so you may have to settle on a nice tip - just make sure you get it checked and get a warranty on the gearbox - should be ok then...

Yea, thats all very well but I want to decide now to do things to my GS (which is running so sweet again!) like lowering, white dials, front nose touchup etc. No point in doing all that if I am gonna sell it. I am thinking more and more of keeping it for another year or two and then getting something special (sorry, more special).
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby steelroe » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:10 am

Adrian

When you changed the plug leads did you replace the spark plugs. I recently had a juddeding problem with my manual GPX and the plugs were the problem. The gap had opened and when I removed one it was plain to see they were worn.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:54 am

Hey,

No, I'm actually doing the plugs today. I'll keep ya posted.

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:43 am

adrian wrote:
shane wrote:Start advertising your car for sale - it may take a while for someone to come along that wants an FTO as its seems to be quite a niche market these days - at the same time start looking for a manual. But (as many people have found/said before me) manual's don't come cheap and don't come often so you may have to settle on a nice tip - just make sure you get it checked and get a warranty on the gearbox - should be ok then...

Yea, thats all very well but I want to decide now to do things to my GS (which is running so sweet again!) like lowering, white dials, front nose touchup etc. No point in doing all that if I am gonna sell it. I am thinking more and more of keeping it for another year or two and then getting something special (sorry, more special).

You could always sell the GS and get a GR/GPX for about the same money and just drive that for a year or two. That's what I'm doing. I've noticed that we (ireland) can sell a GS at a better price than in the UK as insurance is such an issue - young people can get insurance on the GS but not the GR/GPX. Having seen your car it looks clean so I reckon you could almost do a straight swop.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:34 am

Yea, know what you mean Shane. It's just finding that right 2L FTO is the problem. My car is totally spotless alright, and been well serviced too.

Anyone out there wanna buy it?? :wink:
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby adrian » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:46 am

Shane,

Why are you thinking of only keeping it for a year or so? Whats in your head for the next motor??!

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:03 pm

adrian wrote:Shane,

Why are you thinking of only keeping it for a year or so? Whats in your head for the next motor??!

A

As soon as I can get insurance (including comprehensive) again at a reasonable price - i.e. when the current claim is expunged from my record, which should be aug 2004, I'm gonna look at getting something more valueable. I've a couple of things in mind:

* honda s2000
* scooby sti
* lancer evo V
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:08 pm

The S2000 wins hand-down for me.
I'd just love one of em....and I would definitely import from the UK. Even with the
sterling difference and VRT it would work out cheaper.
A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Return to General FTO Discussion