TVR vs 350Z

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

TVR vs 350Z

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:20 pm

I've an opportunity to possibly pick up a TVR T350C and exhange my Zed in against this, I know the guy and he knows my car too and will offer decent money against mine...

question is, would you do it???

I really am in two minds!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:25 pm

Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:28 pm

that's the one...
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:29 pm

personally, no. Never got the whole TVR thing.
colm_mcm

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:31 pm

I'd be tempted if it was a proper color and running cost wasn't an issue..

TVR is just a more unique car - apparently they're made by nutters for nutters..

Sadly I've never had the pleasure of driving one..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:27 pm

Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ikeane » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:54 am

Dave wrote:http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=749942

this one to be more specific!

drooool

whats the colour like up close and personal?
ikeane
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 am

pictures don't do it justice, it is really a superb looking car but I really still am in two minds, I haven't driven it yet, might arrange to go have a look this weekend and see what kind of deal will be offered!!

I would imagine the resale would be a bit of a mare!!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:10 am

Dave wrote:http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=749942

this one to be more specific!

For €1 I think I might buy it myself.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:13 am

I somehow think it'll cost a smidge more than that!! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 am

that is an awesome looking machine!

I'd be slightly scared to ever test drive a car like that - for pure fear of falling in love with it..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby d_andrews78 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:59 am

My uncle had a TVR Tuscan (I think) a wee while back, said it was great on big main roads, but his commute to the train station was down roads, if anything bigger than a transit comes the other way then it's reverse time.
Anyway apparently he prayed alot on those drives, as TVR's feel very fat when your in it, a bit like the FTO I guess, but the back end is what you really have to worry about on the tighter twister roads.
But saying that I'll love to own one is I got the chance.
Lots to think about, nothing to worry about!
95 Mivec-Now a Clio replica & a 1.2 engine conversion.
d_andrews78
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: TVR vs 350Z

Postby baldtyres » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:11 pm

Dave wrote:I've an opportunity to possibly pick up a TVR T350C and exhange my Zed in against this, I know the guy and he knows my car too and will offer decent money against mine...

question is, would you do it???

I really am in two minds!!

I would do it.....but I have a history of following my heart instead of the head with no regrets.
Although I sold my FTO and bought a sensible Land Rover.....if I could afford to run a TVR T350C, I'd happily do it.
Big Decision :smt017
Midlifecrisisinagpx
baldtyres
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Mustang » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:15 pm

Dave what engine is used in these things and where does it come from?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:36 pm

Thats a very serious piece of machinery Dave. Theres the 350Z which is as good a coupe as you can buy or the T350C which is a supercar - theres no comparison to be made really.

Very very quick - but really only a 2nd car/weekend machine.
It would be cheaper to run an FTO as an everyday car and the TVR for the weekend than try to run the TVR as a commuter car.

No ABS - No Traction Control - No Electronic Brakeforce Distribution - No Airbags + lightweight body and 360bhp means you'll be washing your jocks a lot more regularly.

The TVR will have suspect reliability and will likely eat through clutches and brakes etc like you eat hot dinners!

Beautiful car - incredible sound - incredible dry weather performance - would personally love to own one some day - but it would be as a 2nd/3rd car.

If you're feeling brave enough than go for it - if you're selling the Zed let me know - I have a mate on the lookout for one at the moment.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:51 pm

all points noted, it's a dilema and normally i would go with the heart but when you're talking €40K plus on a car the head has to come into it, the resaleability of it, the reliability, the running costs... i would be using this as my sole car and i do at least 10K a year so I will wait to see what kind of deal comes up if any, but we will see, I have done my research and at the moment i think sensibly i am leaning towards holding off and waiting to see how the new Novidem kit in the UK comes together along with the PE turbo, both cheaper than selling the Zed and buying this.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby pergau » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:41 pm

I believe that the running costs are very high on the TVR. They're fantastic cars - I used to work near a TVE dealership in London and I lusted after them. But the cost of parts and servicing make them a rich man's car and not a commuter's car.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby adrian » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:37 pm

Oh my god, that's a beaut.... but then again so is your Zed. TVRs rock in every way. I was so close to buying a Cerbera before I picked up the 911.... was kinda put off by running costs and reliability. Mind you there is meant to be a superb independent mechanic in Belfast that 90% of TVR owners are going to... so compared to a dealer you'd be sorted for servicing etc.

Pistonheads have a super TVR forum:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/ half way down the page. I got a great idea of reliability (or lack of in some cases) on the Cerbera there. In 2 words..... buy it! If you ever have an urge to buy a TVR and one you know is looked after comes up that's the one to buy.... just my 2 pennies....
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:49 pm

a big thing on my mind is the resale of it, there has been one up on carzone now for a good few months and the price has dropped substantially, there's obviously not a massive market for them and i wouldn't be looking to hold onto it for much more than a year.... (I know, sense is kicking in!!)
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:55 am

Only keeping it for a year.... so go on, tell us... what have you planned for a years time?

I agree about the resale thing though, not a great market for them here. I'd be the same as you on it I think....
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:19 am

ah it wouldn't be a car that you would keep for too long, I haven't got much else on the cards in terms of future ones, maybe a Sagaris but that's the same dilema as the T350 without a lot of the reliability issues, the only thing holding me back is the saleability come change time, I've done the research and once the car is looked after it's reasonably reliable but it's like an FTO, there's always the small niggly problems, rattles and the likes!! I'm probably gonna hold out, hang off on it for a few months and if it's still for sale (which i imagine it will be) I'll talk to him then and squeeze a deal....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 am

I've stayed away from this one until now - Dave, I reckon you'd be mad to buy a TVR and run it as a daily driver, there are so many reasons why this wouldn't work (many of them already raised). Weekend car - yes please, daily commute - forget about it if you ask me!

If on the other hand you've a bundle of expendable income then go for it ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:37 pm

yeah i totally agree CJ, I'm going to steer clear on this one, as i said before, the saleability of it is a massive thing, running costs are obviously a bit on the scary side too!!

So as a definitive solution to my dilema, I'm in the process of ordering some parts for the Zed, new V2 nismo kit with carbon lip and so on, and a full carbon interior trim kit!! hopefully all done and dusted before September!!!

then I'll start saving the pennies for the forced induction route!! :twisted: (I know, ye've heard it all before!! :lol: )

Thanks for the input folks!! Mucho appreciated!!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Dave wrote:...........So as a definitive solution to my dilema, I'm in the process of ordering some parts for the Zed, new V2 nismo kit with carbon lip and so on, and a full carbon interior trim kit!! hopefully all done and dusted before September!!! .....

Cool - looking forward to seeing it - just sorted out the front end on my Zed as well - carbon fibre intake duct, Carbon front splitter, debadge, reflectors etc

Would be interesed in that carbon fibre interior trim - there are a couple of companys that make carbon copys of the interior pieces rather than overlays. Looks savage.
Still waiting on my carbon rear spoiler,sideskirts and spats. Hope these will be on the car for the Sept meet.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to Other Cars