Reimbursable mileage

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Reimbursable mileage

Postby Mustang » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:37 pm

Do any of you guys have occasion to travel with your job? And if so what type of mileage rate are you being paid by your employer?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Reimbursable mileage

Postby CJ » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:52 pm

Mustang wrote:Do any of you guys have occasion to travel with your job? And if so what type of mileage rate are you being paid by your employer?

Yes, from time to time. IIRC we get 40c a mile...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:59 pm

CJ wrote
Yes, from time to time. IIRC we get 40c a mile...

Just when I thought i was getting a raw deal. We get 58c per mile. But I am talking with the finance people to have it reviewed, I was trying to get a feel for what others were being paid. The civil service rates are 79.7 c per mile rising to €1.08 depending on car cc.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:45 pm

I get 60p per mile - Its ok if you do highish mileage - but not great for the low mileage I am doing at present - Still at least my present FTO isn't getting caned around the backroads of the West of Ireland - my last FTO put up 35K miles a year which at 55cent a mile worked out quite nicely - it certainly didn't owe me anything - I had bought it for 10K and sold it for 8.5K. :D Try putting 35K miles and a year on a rep mobile and see what the depreciation is like.
I know we complain about the value of our cars but realistically you don't stand to loose much on the resale of an FTO - hence mileage allowances make much more sense even taking into account higher fuel and insurance costs.
Private companies are never gonna stump up civil service rates for mileage.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:58 pm

MfFTO wrote
35K miles a year which at 55cent a mile worked out quite nicely - it certainly didn't owe me anything - I had bought it for 10K and sold it for 8.5K.

Not bad considering you didn't change the tip box oil either :wink:

MfFTO wrote
Private companies are never gonna stump up civil service rates for mileage.

In general this is true, but there are exceptions, speaking to friends and colleagues the rates vary quite a bit. I know someone working in hibernian insurance and getting over €1 a mile.
A fiend of mine working for a small private company gets civil services rates, getting 79c per mile for his 1L car :cry:
The bank of Ireland pays 80 something cent per mile.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Reimbursable mileage

Postby CJ » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:10 pm

CJ wrote:Yes, from time to time. IIRC we get 40c a mile...

Sorry, I was wrong there its actually 51c, which is still less than what you're getting Mustang!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:10 pm

Mustang wrote:Not bad considering you didn't change the tip box oil either :wink:

Mustang - You've a memory like an elephant - my view on the Tip box at the time was if it ain't broke - don't fix it! Glad you didn't buy the car.

Mustang wrote:.. I know someone working in hibernian insurance and getting over €1 a mile..

Thats cause I'm paying the feckers over 3K a year on insurance for the 2 cars.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:12 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Thats cause I'm paying the feckers over 3K a year on insurance for the 2 cars.

Off topic I know, but is that 2 seperate policies and how did you work it out with the company? Might be workwhile starting a seperate topic in the Insurance forum for this one.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:22 pm

CJ wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote:Thats cause I'm paying the feckers over 3K a year on insurance for the 2 cars.

Off topic I know, but is that 2 seperate policies and how did you work it out with the company? Might be workwhile starting a seperate topic in the Insurance forum for this one.

CJ

Done through my broker over the phone CJ - so don't really know how its composed - Insured the FTO first - then when I called to insure the Mazda they mentioned it would be cheaper to go through my existing insurance company due to already being insured with them - tried several avenues and having both cars with the same insurer did turn out much cheaper. Makes sense really I suppose - you would more likely give an existing sports car policy owner a better deal on a second car - Maybe I should try crashing the comprehensively insured Mazda into the 3rd party FTO and see how that works out for them :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby JD » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:07 pm

I'm with a Health Board and get just over €1 a mile on the FTO for the first 4,000 miles (I think - it might be 2,000 miles) then it goes down a bit.
The really great thing about it is that it's tax free.
JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Return to Off Topic