Air-con not working

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Air-con not working

Postby buzz » Sat May 06, 2006 8:08 pm

Just thought I'd switch on the air con today, and it's blowing out hot air even on the lowest setting, does it need re-gassing :?:
checked the sightglass can't see any bubbles
checked the valves on the pipes under the light blue caps, and there's a hissing sound, so I assume that means there's gas in the system.
also the revs don't seem to increase as they did, when I switch the AC on

Any ideas :?:

Thanks in advance.
"Gort...Klaatu barada nikto"
buzz
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Sat May 06, 2006 11:38 pm

Can also be the magnetic clutch - this is what went on me, Just bought a second hand one from Steelroe and fitted - works fine now
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby buzz » Sun May 07, 2006 9:17 am

Kace wrote:Can also be the magnetic clutch - this is what went on me, Just bought a second hand one from Steelroe and fitted - works fine now

Is that a part of the pump itself :?:
buzz
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Sun May 07, 2006 10:15 pm

Yes it is. It engages when the aircon comes on. When the clutch engages (working properly) you will see your lights dim for a split second and hear the unit kicking in periodically.

If your aircon isn't doing this then it is likely that the clutch is the problem
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed May 10, 2006 11:27 am

Kace wrote:Yes it is. It engages when the aircon comes on. When the clutch engages (working properly) you will see your lights dim for a split second and hear the unit kicking in periodically.

If your aircon isn't doing this then it is likely that the clutch is the problem

Coincidence or what, but I reckon I have the same problem. Had the system refilled a few months back, it was also leak tested without problems. The system won't blow cold air and I notice no increase in revs that you get when switching on the aircon, this was pretty obvious to me in the past.

Kace, do you know whats involved in diagnosing and replacing the clutch, is it difficult?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Wed May 10, 2006 1:04 pm

After driving without aircon for about 18 months I did some research by looking at the FTO technical manual and there is a test listed there where you need to take out 2 connectors off the unit and do some multimeter tests to see if it is working correctly.

In the end I didn't bother trying to do the tests as I figured it had to be the clutch not working. I knew I didn't need a gas refill either - I got a guy to check it out (car hasn't had a refill in 10 years and it's still fine).

You'll know if your clutch is not engaging if you can get the chance to see someone elses working. The magnetic clutch is down by the alternator and the belt runs around it also. It's somewhat like a normal clutch in that it has 2 plates which come together when the clutch engages. If you look down you can actually see the 1mm gap between the plates.

So just bought the second-hand one for 80 bills or so and got Paul Nolan to fit it. You don't have to disconnect any of the anircon hoses or anything to replace it so no re-gassing or anything required. Hey presto - aircon worked fine again.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed May 10, 2006 1:20 pm

Kace wrote:After driving without aircon for about 18 months I did some research by looking at the FTO technical manual and there is a test listed there where you need to take out 2 connectors off the unit and do some multimeter tests to see if it is working correctly.

Yeah, theres a section on page 55-25 of the Chassis manual:

I'll take a look later when I'm trying to locate the vehicle speed sensor :roll:

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Wed May 10, 2006 7:25 pm

Pic of the ac clutch in place, deffo no clicking out of it when the a/c is engaged, couldn't get at the terminals, it was too tight:

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed May 10, 2006 10:40 pm

If anyone would like to take my A/C out of my car they'd be more than welcome to it - its 50kgs I really don't need in this climate.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby buzz » Thu May 11, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info guys

Had it checked out today, turned out to be a corroded pipe (in corner under air filter box) :cry:

New pipe £50 + labour

re-gas & oil

total £186 :roll:
buzz
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Fri May 12, 2006 1:08 pm

gfalls wrote:CJ... nice picture...how the hell did you manage to get you and a camera inside the engine bay? are you a secret miget?

Short @r$e, yes, midget, no :)

It was taken from underneath the front bumper.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical