Perseid meteor shower

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Perseid meteor shower

Postby gt94 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 pm

The Perseid meteor shower actually starts in late July and runs to late August. However, the best time to view is around the peak.

It’s not precise, but the 2009 peak is expected on August 12th at around 15.00 hours UT. There is some uncertainty, so it’s very worthwhile to observe either side of this.

In particular for European observers, the hours of darkness either side the peak hours, may well prove more fruitful! So try the previous Tuesday night, as well as the night of Wednesday 12th.

And there is also a potentially prominent Moon to contend with. It will not set below the horizon until the early hours of the morning.

http://iya2009.com/perseid-meteor-showe ... esday.html

I wonder how visable this will be tonight im working 4:30pm to 1:00am so i hope i see it.I remember seeing halleys comet when i was 10 it was a big thing cause if you missed it then in 1986 you wouldnt see it again till 2061,dont think i will be around then but fingers crossed :|
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Re: Perseid meteor shower

Postby Bernard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:10 pm

I'll have a look tonight, I'm working 'til 4am anyway...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Perseid meteor shower

Postby TopCat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 pm

Will try and remember coming home from the pub. Not sure how clear the skies will be though. :(
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to Off Topic