TIP Recon or transplant

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

TIP Recon or transplant

Postby adrian » Wed May 28, 2003 10:00 am

Would you reckon a TIP BOX recon (nearly 2K euro here) or a second hand box (which I can buy and the UK and get free shipping from a mate and then about 500 Euro to fit) would be the better option? The latter is cheaper, but which is better?

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Re: TIP Recon or transplant

Postby soc » Wed May 28, 2003 11:44 am

adrian wrote:Would you reckon a TIP BOX recon (nearly 2K euro here) or a second hand box (which I can buy and the UK and get free shipping from a mate and then about 500 Euro to fit) would be the better option? The latter is cheaper, but which is better?

A

Would you get a guarantee with either? What about if you have problems with either and have to go back to the supplier... it might be easier to be dealing with a company you can call in and speak to face to face.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed May 28, 2003 11:48 am

The boxes from USave Auto in the UK (550 sterling) come with a 6 month Gaurantee. The work for the recon also comes with a gaurantee....I think 6 months too.

I am thinking a recon of my own might be a better option, albeit 2K euro.
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Wed May 28, 2003 2:27 pm

adrian wrote:The boxes from USave Auto in the UK (550 sterling) come with a 6 month Gaurantee. The work for the recon also comes with a gaurantee....I think 6 months too.

I am thinking a recon of my own might be a better option, albeit 2K euro.

Didn't realise you were talking about Usave - would the box they supply be reconditioned/checked over or just pulled out of a busted FTO? One good thing here is that Usave have a reputation with the UK FTOOC so they'd come recommended.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed May 28, 2003 2:32 pm

They are not recon'd. Just pulled out of FTO's from Japan mate.
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Wed May 28, 2003 3:59 pm

If you find out that theres a problem with the box internals, I would get a new one rather than recon the original, it would seem to be the more reliable route.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Wed May 28, 2003 5:27 pm

What do ya mean with the box internals Ciaran? I mean, I'll not know until it's strippe down.....and it it gets to the point of being stripped down then that means someone will be in the process of recon'ing the box anyway!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Wed May 28, 2003 7:25 pm

OK, the likelyhood is that some internal componants are knackered anyway. I havn't had any experience with reconditioned auto boxes so my choice would be to get a replacement unit. At the end of the day, its your choice though.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General FTO Discussion