Who commutes into Dublin?

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Who commutes into Dublin?

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:48 pm

I've been on a training course all week in the city, rather than spend 3 hours in the car every day, I've been getting the train in and out. At the beginning of the week, my head was done in with walking/cold/late trains and I had decided that I would never work in the city in the event I was relying on public transport (I'm spoiled you see, I work about 3 miles from home). Towards the end of the week, I was getting used to the commute, and to a degree I was enjoying getting up off my lazy ar$e and using my legs for once! On the other side, I don't know if I could keep an FTO at home all week and take it out on the weekends (where the traffic is just as bad, if not worse, in this corner of West Dublin), I do enjoy my drive in and out of work!

Do anyone of you guys keep the FTO at home all week and drive it on the weekends only? On the flip side, do you brave the traffic and drive into town? (I spotted 2 FTOs in town this week so I know that a few of you do!)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pergau » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:27 pm

I drive in (and out) every day.

Firstly, I have a car parking space in town so it's at least a possibility for me. I think it would be impossible to do this every day if you hadn't one and very expensive if you had to pay!

Secondly, my starting tmes are a bit flexible so I aim to be in at 9.30 and then avoid the very worst of the morning traffic.

Thirdly, the bus service to Lucan is woeful in the evenings so it would be difficult for me to take the bus. (there is a lot of buses but they are oversubscribed and also a bit of a walk from where I work)

Fourthly, I have a GPX Tip so the stop/start traffic isn't so bad in an "auto".

That said, the traffic is currently terrible (I believe that it is always at it's worst from the clocks going back until the start of operation freeflow) and I'm seriously considering the bus.

I don't know, I hate the bus and there's no train so the car is the only way and it means that I can sit in the luxury of my car and relax a bit.

And, CJ, the walk from the car park can be considered as exercise!
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby paulkenny » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:49 pm

I drive from kilcock to ballsbridge everyday. I tried getting the train for a while cos at least you can try to do something productive whilst your on the train ...but lately there's been problems finding parking at the train station so I'm back in the car again. I have to say door to door the car takes about the same time as the train.
That said I's sick of commuting, think I'll move into the city and be done with it!!
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Postby agent s » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:24 am

I get the luas in to Grafton St every morning so I guess a only really drive to & from that unless I'm on a day off. Don't mind though... sitting in that traffic would turn me against cars altogether!
“Don’t upset me. I’m running out of places to hide the bodies.”
agent s
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby soc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:19 pm

I drive to east point every day - only thing that really annoys me is having to pay to cross the east link brideg twice a day :evil: I'm lucky that I have flexi-time and can work from home cause that allows me avoid the traffic completely.....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gtoirl » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:51 pm

can work from home cause that allows me avoid the traffic completely
whit you on that one, if I do go to the office, I go in before 7:00 or after 10:30. no time in between.
gtoirl
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:39 pm

gtoirl wrote:
can work from home cause that allows me avoid the traffic completely
whit you on that one, if I do go to the office, I go in before 7:00 or after 10:30. no time in between.

it really is a pretty sweet deal although I have found I work a lot longer hours now as I'll usually login to work as soon as I get home and for long periods over the weekends
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:32 pm

soc wrote:it really is a pretty sweet deal although I have found I work a lot longer hours now as I'll usually login to work as soon as I get home and for long periods over the weekends

Bit OT (its is the OT forum I suppose!) but is your work quantifable from a management perspective? I have full access to all system resources from home and could probably do 90% of my workload outside of the office, unfortunately, its not a prevalent ethos in my company.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saoirse32 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:48 pm

i keep it home all week, and drive me lancer into work. cause i work on building sites so dont like driving the fto in and getting it wrecked with dirt etc..
and the petrol bills too are alot higher! :?
Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

96 passion red gr
saoirse32
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby soc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:32 pm

CJ wrote:
soc wrote:it really is a pretty sweet deal although I have found I work a lot longer hours now as I'll usually login to work as soon as I get home and for long periods over the weekends

Bit OT (its is the OT forum I suppose!) but is your work quantifable from a management perspective? I have full access to all system resources from home and could probably do 90% of my workload outside of the office, unfortunately, its not a prevalent ethos in my company.

CJ

Yea the work is quantifiable in that I'd work on a bunch of small projects or tasks within the larger scope - all opensource work atm which is very cool. Great place to work as the basic ethos includes:

1. as long as the work gets done the details of how or when are not that important
2. if you're not busy then find something to do - help someone else, read up on something you're not good at, innovate - e.g. write a script to automate a process, etc.

The have an official work from home policy and run a suray at home project too but I prefer the unofficial when it suits policy :D
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gtoirl » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:21 pm

CJ wrote:

CJ

I am the management :D.
gtoirl
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby kevinod » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:08 am

On the topic of commuting... I've always thought that if I was living in a busy city I'd just get a scooter or some small cc motorbike for going in and out of work (complete with the long lean back handlebars, for the street cred :lol: :wink: ) and use the car for evenings & weekends. Just drive by all the traffic.

They're supposed to be cheap enough to run afaik, so petrol savings with the car would go a long way towards its cost?

Anyway, that was my 'cunning plan', a bit more dangerous than going by car of course, but with a bit of cop on you should be ok I'd imagine... anyone know how much one of those things would cost?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby soc » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:14 am

kevinod wrote:On the topic of commuting... I've always thought that if I was living in a busy city I'd just get a scooter or some small cc motorbike for going in and out of work (complete with the long lean back handlebars, for the street cred :lol: :wink: ) and use the car for evenings & weekends. Just drive by all the traffic.

They're supposed to be cheap enough to run afaik, so petrol savings with the car would go a long way towards its cost?

Anyway, that was my 'cunning plan', a bit more dangerous than going by car of course, but with a bit of cop on you should be ok I'd imagine... anyone know how much one of those things would cost?

If I had a garage I'd probably be driving a 250cc or 400cc bike into work
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:28 am

gtoirl wrote:I am the management :D.

So you're the big man are you? ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pergau » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:33 pm

If the Irish weather was better, I'd consider a scooter but I don't have the guts to go out when the roads are dark and greasy or frozen so that rules out 4 or 5 months of the year.

Bikes are getting so popular in our office that theyhave run out of parking places for them.
pergau

Return to Off Topic