Thinking of Importing from Japan

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Thinking of Importing from Japan

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm

So was seriously thinking of importing a car from Japan and was looking at a few different options to get an idea of whats available for cheap. My search parameters were a car under €2500 with another €2000 to put towards VRT and Euro Tax, under 2 litres and 200hp+. I was surprised at how few options came up, In Ireland anything over 2L is just not worth it because of stupid tax system here but looking on this site http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/nissan/skyline%20coupe/ it really is apparent how much power Mitsubishi pushed out of the FTO, the only cars in my price range that were 2 litre and came close were the Nissan silvias but the truth is I want to hold onto my FTO and would be looking for something like a Skyline or an Altezza, you know, a nice family car.

Anyone have any good sites for buying cars from Japan?
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Thinking of Importing from Japan

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:08 pm

Family car my ar$e :mrgreen:

I heard the altezzas are very poor handling, but that might be just hear'say. The Skylines are are perfect drifters. What kind of family driving do you do? :smt005

Tradecarview is where I looked too. Don't know any other good sites. With small money, it's mot worth approaching an agent here, but it could be worth a call. The old opel garage beside tesco in clarehall do jap imports. I'm sure there is also a place in newtown (coolock) industrial estate, across from newtown supplies.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 pm

Thanks Gary, as you can see it is even cheaper to insure a Skyline than an FTO. Image
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby StewyD32 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 am

Everyone goes to tradecarview and the prices are out of the market range compared to other map sites.

If I were you I'd get a narrow down a set few cars you have in mind and register on some japanese car auction sites on line for bidding. A lot of imports were done this way and know a few people who got quality cars for a lot less than tradecarview.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:58 pm

I've imported through http://www.nikkyocars.com/ and can recommend them.

Sit down and do the maths before making any commitment, include all of the costs (insurance, shipping, duty, VRT etc), importing direct from Japan isn't what it once was in terms of bagging a bargain, you may find that its cheaper to purchase at home right now.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Drive an altezza before you decide on one, handling is poor and they are slow.

Less hassle and better value in Ireland if you are willing to wait for the right car to come along.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:38 pm

optical illusion wrote:Drive an altezza before you decide on one, handling is poor and they are slow.

Less hassle and better value in Ireland if you are willing to wait for the right car to come along.

Thanks, I have heard that about the Altezza a few time now, I am really looking at a Skyline, I was checking out a few forums on them and it seems they really lack power in NA form and the turbo versions are all over 2l, so it looks like I need to go to 2.5l if I want anything over 200hp which is a must. Down side to a SKYLINE is I think it would be more likely to be stolen than the FTO and I would need a good alarm installed.

Thanks for the info CJ, I remember you imported the VR4. Thanks for the advice but the Japanese market has more choice(colour/bod style) and they seem to be cleaner examples. Once I get the bug for something I usually see it trough to the end
Chris_Heilong

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Well after much research, it seems insanely expensive to import anything at all, I calculate that to buy a relativity cheap car, lets say €3k from auction then you pay €750 for the agent(you must use a registered agent to buy from a Japanese Auction house) to de-registered,transport, inspected, clear japanese customs and get the car onto the ship. You pay about €1000 for the ship to be delivered to Ireland, In Dublin customs is charged at 10% of cost car + shipping costs (€400). VAT is charged at 21% of cost of car + shipping + customs so around €1400. Then you pay VRT at €1200, then Tax at €1080 and insurance at least €1500. So thanks in part to SIMI and Ireland's illegal VRT system to own a "cheap" Japanese import skyline will cost about €10,330 and thats before I get an alarm installed and any other things the NCT find........ :cry:

I knew it was expensive but this is apeshit, so I guess I will be going over to the UK.
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Crazy Prices.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Add to that the cost of replacing anything that goes "missing" from the car while it's in the dock in Dublin....
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:50 pm

I assume you're looking at the likes of a GTS-T, you'll pay £6.5 - £7k in the UK for a good one, it'll be cheaper than the Jap import route but not hugely so. Depending on your budget , you may want to focus on the home market for the next few months, its by far the cheapest route. In the mean time, hang around the UK Sykline Owner Club forum, thats were I'd be buying from as the first port of call.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:06 pm

CJ wrote:I assume you're looking at the likes of a GTS-T, you'll pay £6.5 - £7k in the UK for a good one, it'll be cheaper than the Jap import route but not hugely so. Depending on your budget , you may want to focus on the home market for the next few months, its by far the cheapest route. In the mean time, hang around the UK Sykline Owner Club forum, thats were I'd be buying from as the first port of call.

They have dropped a lot in price over in the UK, I am on skyline owners.com and use the for sale section to search for potential buys, they seem to go for £4 - 5k at the moment, depends on mods. If it was UK then yeah it would be a R33 GTS t, if it was Japan I was told I could get a R34 GTT for under 3k, Some of the prices in Ireland are still in Dreamer land of 8 and 9k but I will still check Donedeal as it would be less hassle.
Chris_Heilong

Postby optical illusion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Have you driven the skyline yet, like, properly?
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:47 pm

No, I am afraid if I do I will realise it does not handle as well as an FTO and it was a big mistake to buy one. Its one of the cars on my 'would like to own" list and with Tax jumping up every year and insurance companies reaction to al things JDM I feel my window to owning one is getting smaller.
Chris_Heilong

Return to Other Cars