Still amazed with GR

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Still amazed with GR

Postby soc » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:32 pm

3 months since I bought my GR - trading up from the GS was the best thing I ever did (touch-wood). I'm still amazed everytime I drive the car. Great looks, performance and handling. So far I've discovered that you can blow away most other cars in Ireland.

So here I am wondering if I should bother with a decat and filter? I still have the std exhaust and don't plan on changing it anytime soon and to be honest I'm afraid to make the car any louder (unless of course this means it sounds even more metallic and V6). So I'm wondering what kind of real-world on-the-road gains people have seen from a filter and decat? Also, will these mods increase the noise a lot? Does this mean a more metallic raspy sound or an auto-box inspired drone??? The reason I ask is that I didn't really feel any difference with a filter and decat on my old GS and to be honest it droned too much for my liking at low revs (which was a pain cause I mostly drive at 2-3k rpm).

Cheers
Shane
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:15 pm

It's definitely more throaty with the Mongoose and Decat - the decat makes the most difference to the noise. With the ITG filter, mongoose and decat it's quite load when you I hit the mivec. Sometimes I think I would prefer it to be a little more understated, as when I want to accelerate hard up to 8k it turns heads and seems to both scare and annoy people (as it sounds like you're going 80mph when you're accelerating to 40). There does seem to be a performance difference though and the car feels more responsive to the throttle.

Sounds good when stationary and gives an impressive rumble.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion