Fecking V6 rocks

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Fecking V6 rocks

Postby soc » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:55 am

Hey Guys,

I went out to look at some V6's for the first time yesterday. The first one was a tip GR. To be honest I wasn't expecting all that much but christ did I get a shock. The garage let me take a test drive on my own so as I was pulling out I lightly, well I though it was lightly, tapped the accelerator and nearly ended up in a fence. The bloody low down torque compared to the GS is huge! I was very, very impressed. The engine felt smooth and loose and you'd hardly know you had an auto-box.

And this particular one had a raspy exhaust which had a very metallic sound to it.... reminded me of the sound of a ferrari! Only thing was the rev counter didn't work and it took ages to start - looks like it has been standing for a while. I drove it for about 5 mins and then shut it off and it took even longer to start. That kind of worried me... anyone any feelings on this? Maybe someone has seen this car already - it's a '94 GR tip at north rd motors in Finglas!

So now I'm not sure I could be bothered waiting, looking and paying the extra for a manual GPX as I reckon I'd be very happy with a tip GR for the next year or so - It was waaaayyy faster than the Golf GTI I test drove!

Jaysus I'm getting excited just writing this...... I want a V6 now - all I have to do is convince the fiance. She can't understand why I'm selling one FTO to buy another FTO, especially as the GS is in good nick and has been utterly faultless.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Fecking V6 rocks

Postby adrian » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:54 pm

shane wrote:Hey Guys,

So now I'm not sure I could be bothered waiting, looking and paying the extra for a manual GPX as I reckon I'd be very happy with a tip GR for the next year or so

Steady on Shaner!! What happens if you buy a tip and same thing happens as mine! Then it'll be an expense to talk about! I will never buy a TIP again....but would definitely buy another FTO (manual).

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Ivan E » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:48 pm

Have you tried out a manual GS, they can be nippy enough also.

Not up to what a V6 manual would do but with penalty points etc and bad roads, its still a fast enough car.

I'd personally wait until you find an FTO that you are very sure of before buying it. If you have any doubts at all about the car then you might just regret getting one that causes trouble.

Remember tax on a 2.0l is €531 or something like that and you will be paying more on petrol etc. Probably won't amount to an awlful lot more but with a house and fiance, every penny counts. So it's better than you're 100% about the car.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:09 pm

Ivan E wrote:Have you tried out a manual GS, they can be nippy enough also.

I'd be suprised if a manual GS came anywhere near a GR - my old 205 and the Golf GTI I test drove were no where near as fast - well they didn't feel it anyway.

I'm not that interested in the old top end - more of a torque man, 0-60 etc. The GR seemed very quick in those areas.

Ivan E also]I'd personally wait until you find an FTO that you are very sure of before buying it. If you have any doubts at all about the car then you might just regret getting one that causes trouble.[/quote]

I totally agree here - hence looking at as many as possible. The one I've my eye on seems mechanically sound - body work needs some minor attention but it is totally standard - even has standard mitsubishi jap radio from the factory. It's been in ireland for 5 years - 3 owners, all known to each other. Obviously I won't be buying anything without the ok from my mechanic.

[quote="Ivan E finally wrote:
Remember tax on a 2.0l is €531 or something like that and you will be paying more on petrol etc. Probably won't amount to an awlful lot more but with a house and fiance, every penny counts. So it's better than you're 100% about the car.

The fuel economy on the GS was terrible but I used to drive from Malahide to Rathfarnham about 5 times a week, that's approx 250 miles on top of my usual trips to work etc.. Now I'm living in Stepaside I won't have to do that so it'll cut down on the milage and hence the fuel bills (probably balance itself out) -

As for tax - heh, tax on a 1.8 is EUR487 per year so feck all differnce. The main difference is gonna be servicing costs but I've started doing all the easy work myself - oil changes, disks, pads etc.

Insurance is a straight swap so that's cool too.

At 5K I don't think the risk is that big, as long as the gearbox don't die it won't really depreciate too much more so at resale it should still fetch a reasonable price.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:12 pm

I've a manual GR and I can give you a go in it if you want to see how a manual GR cuts the mustard.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Daz » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:45 am

Ivan E wrote:I've a manual GR and I can give you a go in it if you want to see how a manual GR cuts the mustard.

I've mentioned this before but there is very little difference between the GR and The GPX espically in the blast down the quater mile, the only thing missing is the mivec roar, so it's down to personal preference, Where are you based Shane, i might be able to give you a spin in a GPX tip for a comparision if you would like, I gave Adrian a spin and he seamed impressed in the difference (and the mivec roar) :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby adrian » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:31 am

Indeed I was, indeed I was :twisted:
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:13 pm

Daz wrote:
Ivan E wrote:I've a manual GR and I can give you a go in it if you want to see how a manual GR cuts the mustard.

I've mentioned this before but there is very little difference between the GR and The GPX espically in the blast down the quater mile, the only thing missing is the mivec roar, so it's down to personal preference, Where are you based Shane, i might be able to give you a spin in a GPX tip for a comparision if you would like, I gave Adrian a spin and he seamed impressed in the difference (and the mivec roar) :D

That's be cool - I was gonna go out for a spin with Ciaran but I just never got around to it.

I'm in Stepaside these days and unfortunately I have no car at the minute so am pretty much stung with the damn public transport :( But I might be in the Lucan neck of the woods today with my mechanic to get him to look at the wine GR. Daz, you're somewhere that side of the city, right?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:08 pm

Daz wrote:

Well it was more to do with showing how a manual drives in comparison with the tip rather than the difference in speed. There is always a difference between an auto and a manual in any car its just down to what you prefer.

Watch out around Stepaside, cops were out doing speed checks at the back of the race course!
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:34 am

Ivan E wrote:.

Watch out around Stepaside, cops were out doing speed checks at the back of the race course!

yea, the cops are always out there doing speed checks... you really have to stick to the limits in that neck of the woods.

as for auto's Vs manual - my better half doesn't want me to get an auto (cause of the potential riskfor gearbox trouble) but having just spent a weekend driving a manual i can safely say "give me back an auto"...... I got a pain in the ar$e changing gears all the time. - manual tip is much easier and more relaxing to drive and to be honest i reckon it's easier to drive fast too.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:45 am

Well it all depends what you're into really. I have driven high powered auto's before and liked them, never tried a tip though. But there's so much power in the V6 that it is such a pleasure to drive and working the gears makes the drive for me. Especially when you're going low down to make those quick passes.

I can understand being a pain in the ar$e changing gears but that goes against the whole idea of a performance car IMHO. Go for an old luxury car instead. But I do base my work around avoiding traffic so I am not stuck going nowhere.

But I'd seriously recommend you try out a manual while you're in the buyer's market as it will be a different experience. Like it or not at least you'll know what it's like.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:28 pm

Ivan E wrote:But I'd seriously recommend you try out a manual while you're in the buyer's market as it will be a different experience. Like it or not at least you'll know what it's like.

yea that's true... and I would like to but I've decided on a tight budget which won't stretch to a manual so I'll probably just go for the tip GR as it fits nicely into the budget.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion