New car

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

New car

Postby soc » Fri May 09, 2003 5:10 pm

Well I've definitely decided to change cars! Just got back from a spin in a '00 Golf GTI - very nice car, solid, well built and torquey as hell! Made my poor old GS feel like a snail (literally). I didn't get a chance to really rag the car but the low down torque was just brilliant. Something the GS lacks.

I have to say I am well impressed and despite my love of all things "coupe" I'm seriously considering getting one of these cars!

Someone persuade me otherwise.... Ciaran - I'll have to call you about that spin in your GPX.

If only I could just transplant the VW build quaity and bang a turbo on the FTO :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Sun May 11, 2003 6:58 pm

Someone persuade me otherwise.... Ciaran - I'll have to call you about that spin in your GPX.

Don't buy it before talking a spin in a GPX! Give me a call during the week for a test drive and we can arrange to meet up.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ivan E » Mon May 12, 2003 11:18 am

What's the bhp of the GTI? Isn't it 155 or something. For a car of that weight it doesn't seem that much but then it is more than the GS.

Only thing I can say about the GTI's is that there are an awlful lot on the road and most people will just see you in a Golf!
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

00 Golf

Postby Eamon » Mon May 12, 2003 1:16 pm

Shane,

A mate has just sold his 99 Golf GTI.
He let me borrow it a few times when he was away on holidays etc.
All I can say is that for a car with 150 BHP, it seems every bit
as capable as my 95 Tip GR. It has a much sturdier/solid feel and
is far more comfortable to drive. Also has ABS, Traction Control, Climate Control. However, if you are thinking of buying a 00 Golf, you will pay approx twice the price of a 95/96 GPX, and you will no longer be noticed.

Eamon
Eamon
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: 00 Golf

Postby soc » Mon May 12, 2003 3:36 pm

Eamon wrote:Shane,

A mate has just sold his 99 Golf GTI.
He let me borrow it a few times when he was away on holidays etc.
All I can say is that for a car with 150 BHP, it seems every bit
as capable as my 95 Tip GR.

Would you say that the GR is as torquey? The Golf felt similar to the WRX I once (and for a very short time) drove - similar in terms of responsiveness and low down pulling power - I know the auto box doesn't help at all which is why I'm reluctant to get another auto (despite its brilliance in traffic). I'd say the Golf feels like it has much more bhp and a bonus is it would be very easy for initial tuning.

Eamon also wrote: It has a much sturdier/solid feel and
is far more comfortable to drive. Also has ABS, Traction Control, Climate Control.

These are some of the things I really like about the Golf - the quality feel about the cabin. Don't get me wrong, the FTO has a superb driving position. Low down with a really sporty feel but the Golf just has a real quality feel to it.

Eamon finally wrote: However, if you are thinking of buying a 00 Golf, you will pay approx twice the price of a 95/96 GPX, and you will no longer be noticed.

Eamon

This is the big crunch...... I could end up spending EUR20K and everytime I see the car I'd think "BORING"! Atm, everytime I get home after driving the FTO I just cannot help having a look over my shoulder and admiring the looks of the car. That said one of the things that I'm looking for atm is a solid quality feel. Like I said, if I could get a really good condition GPX (or even better a GPvR) then I'd go for it... but I think it could be a pretty long wait and I don't want to sell my GS and be without a car for ages.....

Btw, the poxy dealer tried to offer EUR3k for my car - I was not impressed.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: 00 Golf

Postby soc » Mon May 12, 2003 3:38 pm

Eamon wrote:A mate has just sold his 99 Golf GTI.

Eamon,

I meant to ask. What did he get instead?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Mon May 12, 2003 3:47 pm

Well it will be off to the Golf Gti forum with you then!

No chance of getting a Scooby WRX yourself then?
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Mon May 12, 2003 4:10 pm

Ivan E wrote:Well it will be off to the Golf Gti forum with you then!

No chance of getting a Scooby WRX yourself then?

Unfortunately a WRX is a definite no-no. My better half hates them. She thinks they're tacky and a great symbol of the "dreaded boy racer" - ah well.

I'm hoping I won't have to join that GTI forum. It'll be a couple of weeks before I do anything as we're in the process of moving into the new house so I've a bit of time to sort something on the GPX front. As long as QD don't refuse to insure FTO's ............
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Eamon » Tue May 13, 2003 8:02 am

Shane,

My mate is going for a '02 Audi A4 1.8T.
Looks good, with twin exhausts.
Eamon
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby CJ » Tue May 13, 2003 8:17 am

Eamon wrote:Shane,

My mate is going for a '02 Audi A4 1.8T.
Looks good, with twin exhausts.

Personally, I reckon the A4 is just another fleet car, if it drives anything like the Passat 1.8T you will be disapointed.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Tue May 13, 2003 11:25 am

CJ wrote:Personally, I reckon the A4 is just another fleet car, if it drives anything like the Passat 1.8T you will be disapointed.

Ciaran

I have to both disagree and agree with you there.... in one respect I think the A4 is one of the best looking saloons out there even in bog standard boring trim (I just love the shape). And the 1.8T and quattro looks extra cool - twin exhaust, slightly lower suspension, and the quattro 4wd has a totally different stance (looks like a wider track). BUT there are just sooooo many out there! Maybe not many 1.8T or quattros but loads of 1.6, 1.8 and 1.9tdi's which all look pretty similar and are mostly driven by arsehole "i'm great in my company car" "i'm mr. bigshot business man" idiots (NOI to your mate eamon)- unfortunately not for me thanks to the overpriced premium you have to pay to drive one (unless someone wants to pay the tax and insurance on a quattro). I'd rather get a '00 320ci (for the same kind of money) - which (no matter how much we all hate the stereotype drivers) are a really excellent car to drive!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion