Facelift Tiptronics

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Facelift Tiptronics

Postby adrian » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:40 pm

Facelift Tiptronics are aparently bullet proff and are very unprone to failure. Have you heard this? Reason I ask is I am seeing some lovely tip 1998 GPXs for sale but wanted a manual....but now thinking if the 5 speed tip is bullet proof then why not.

But would your average non-fto'r like us know this when it comes to selling them off again

Are they really much more reliable? Reason I ask is I saw this beaut if you have access to SG:

http://www.smartgroups.com/ads/ads.cfm? ... 0&AdID=569

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:00 pm

Yes, 5 speeds are much more reliable that their 4 speed cousins.
People not in the know won't know the difference however.

Adrian, after all you're talk about getting a manual, you're talking about a Tip, I'm guessing you're starting to get desperate ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:10 pm

Na, not desperate...I still have me GS! I just watch the auction sites and the UK stuff every day and a good manual GPX that's not white will be tough to get my hands on.....so that makes me a bit "oh, well maybe a tip aint THAT bad" :?

Also, I know I'll be waiting 3 months after ordering it so that makes me start thinkin i could get a nice 1998 + tiptronic from the UK tomorrow if I liked.

Don't mind me, I'm a changeable lad when it comes to me motors....
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Dean » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:21 am

adrian wrote:Na, not desperate...I still have me GS! I just watch the auction sites and the UK stuff every day and a good manual GPX that's not white will be tough to get my hands on.....so that makes me a bit "oh, well maybe a tip aint THAT bad" :?

Also, I know I'll be waiting 3 months after ordering it so that makes me start thinkin i could get a nice 1998 + tiptronic from the UK tomorrow if I liked.

Don't mind me, I'm a changeable lad when it comes to me motors....

Get that yellow GR from the english site posted earlier... I would be so jealous of you.
Dean
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby soc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:07 am

adrian wrote:so that makes me a bit "oh, well maybe a tip aint THAT bad" :?

Is the difference between a tip and a manual really that big? Surely in terms of performance the difference is pretty small (unless you're on the 1/4 mile)? Ok so there is gonna be a difference in initial respons but once these cars get over 3K rpm I would have though the difference is pretty small..... and a 5 speed tip will have better gearing than the 4 speed so acceleration will be marginally better.

As for reliability - ok the 4 speed tip is famed for dying but not if you take care of it.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:55 pm

Have you driven a manual?

Anyone owned both?
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:16 pm

Ivan E wrote:Have you driven a manual?

Anyone owned both?

AFAIK Daz currently owns a tip and a manual.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:28 pm

yeah he does, both GPX'S as well! jammy git!! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:01 pm

Manuals have more pull lower down the rev range, the Tip takes a bit more right foot to get going. Speaking from experience, Tips are great if you mainly drive around town. Daz would be the man to ask on this one, but he's not in work today. In the mean time, check out this thread from the FTOOC forum which includes some good pros and cons for both.

Ciaran
Last edited by CJ on Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby daniel » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:05 pm

Before buying my manual GPX i test drove two tips, both from Highgrade motors, which didnt impress me and nearly turned me off the fto. Personally speaking there is no comparsion in the driving experience, between manuals and tips, manual is def the way to go (even though they are getting rare to find), the power is always there when you want it.
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:18 pm

shane wrote:
AFAIK Daz currently owns a tip and a manual.

Dave wrote:yeah he does, both GPX'S as well! jammy git!!

:D :D :D :D Heeheehee that i do :D :D :D :twisted:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:20 pm

CJ wrote:Manuals have more pull lower down the rev range, the Tip takes a bit more right foot to get going. Speaking from experience, Tips are great if you mainly drive around town. Daz would be the man to ask on this one, but he's not in work today. In the mean time, check out this thread from the FTOOC forum which includes some good pros and cons for both.

Ciaran

Yep cj is right, the manual pulls better throughout the range but is only really noticable down low, Tips are better for driving in traffic but the manual is better at everything else.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Re: Facelift Tiptronics

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:24 pm

adrian wrote:Facelift Tiptronics are aparently bullet proff and are very unprone to failure. Have you heard this? Reason I ask is I am seeing some lovely tip 1998 GPXs for sale but wanted a manual....but now thinking if the 5 speed tip is bullet proof then why not.

But would your average non-fto'r like us know this when it comes to selling them off again

Are they really much more reliable? Reason I ask is I saw this beaut if you have access to SG:

http://www.smartgroups.com/ads/ads.cfm? ... 0&AdID=569

A

I wouldn't say the 5 speed Tip is bullet proof, mainly due to the fact no-one has put up the high mileage that is seen on the preface lift FTO's ie. 4 speed Tips. But there is a concensious that they will be more reliable, due to the fact that they have the extra gear thus less strain on the box.

Daz...
Daz

Postby soc » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:23 am

After driving around in dublin city traffic in the gf manual Polo for a day I actually think I'd prefer to have an auto gearbox..... but only if there is a manual override (i.e. tip, dsg, etc)
I found it a real pain in the ass having to constently change gears and stop start with the clutch.... maybe I'm just too used to the auto in traffic.

I'm still getting an STI though!

Now when the Audi TT DSG box is more commen I reckon manuals will go out the window. It's rumoured to be pretty amazing.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:31 am

shane wrote:After driving around in dublin city traffic in the gf manual Polo for a day I actually think I'd prefer to have an auto gearbox.....

I was thinking the same myself, I'm in a Focus at the moment, have to keep reminding myself to use the damn clutch. For city driving (all I really do), you can't beat the Tip, thats for sure...

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:36 am

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:After driving around in dublin city traffic in the gf manual Polo for a day I actually think I'd prefer to have an auto gearbox.....

I was thinking the same myself, I'm in a Focus at the moment, have to keep reminding myself to use the damn clutch. For city driving (all I really do), you can't beat the Tip, thats for sure...

Ciaran

At least the focus has 1400cc - I'm a 999cc Polo that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding :) I can now safely say that I could never ever buy a slow car again - like being drugs really. You get a fast car and then you want a faster car.

I like the porsche boxster too......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion