Expected price for selling?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Expected price for selling?

Postby finers » Wed May 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Not sure if this should be in the for Sale section, unfortunately it's time to sell my fto, was considering a year ago but stuck around Ireland, heading to Aus after the summer and the fto doesnt even get driven because of my motor bike so cannot justify keeping it.

Was wondering what price I should expect to sell for they seem to be going for nothing! at the moment, also it failed the nct on some simple issues, with the low prices do you think it would be worth passing the nct to sell it or just save the small amount of money and time I'd spend getting it sorted and just sell it?

It's a 98gpvr brand new clutch running like new, great condition for age.

Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: Expected price for selling?

Postby paul2508 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:42 pm

having the nct is a big plus. Puts people off nowadays when a car has not got one. if they are only minor issues,might be worth fixing them . when somone see's a new nct in a car, it usually draws them into the buy, knowing its road worthy and looked after. just my opinion :D
...Me fail english?..Thats unpossible.....
paul2508
FTO-Ireland rules my world

Postby Sebastian » Wed May 25, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm inclined to dissagre with you Paul , the PRICE is the selling point these days .

Sean , you put some money and effort into that FTO , why not dry store it till you get back ? it's around 500 per year and you have your jewel here when you return.
Everyone who sold in the last year lost a whole lot of money , you can buy now FTO's with the coins in your piggybank . If I was in the same sittuation I would do it.

Sort the ''rust '' thing , it's an easy job and the feckers seem to be failing every car that has traces of rust underneath . get her through the NCT , so you'll know that by the time when u return everything is in top notch

But then again , if you are stuck for cash selling the car would be the best option. .
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby finers » Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Seb I don't think i'll be returning from Aus anytime soon after i leave so im definitely selling up:/, u don't want another fto by chance:D will be a bargain:D, I think i'll try and pass the nct but realistically i know i'll be selling this for feck all but it has to go! asap
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby paul2508 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Sebastian wrote:I'm inclined to dissagre with you Paul , the PRICE is the selling point these days .

Sean , you put some money and effort into that FTO , why not dry store it till you get back ? it's around 500 per year and you have your jewel here when you return.
Everyone who sold in the last year lost a whole lot of money , you can buy now FTO's with the coins in your piggybank . If I was in the same sittuation I would do it.

Sort the ''rust '' thing , it's an easy job and the feckers seem to be failing every car that has traces of rust underneath . get her through the NCT , so you'll know that by the time when u return everything is in top notch

But then again , if you are stuck for cash selling the car would be the best option. .

i understand where your coming from seb with the price , but with being an import , 13 year old car , and of course a sports coupe , you will get fussy feckers offering you stupid prices with no nct. from looking at it , it looks mint , if you needed the money urgently for moving abroad you cant really afford to put much into it i suppose. if i was on the look out for a fto id whip this off your hands . i hope the right buyer comes along for mate.
best of luck with the sale :D
paul2508

Postby Sebastian » Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 pm

I've seen a very well mantained FTO with 2 years NCT sold for peanuts, Deffo the NCT makes a solid point in selling but it's all about finding the right(honest) buyer and not the usual lunatics .
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby finers » Wed May 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Getting the ball rolling!
Thanks for the feedback lads if i get any reasonable offer w/o nct i may take it i have print out from the nct test the other day as proof everything else is
in order, also i'm sure i could arrange for a mechanic to check the underbody about the rust issue but i know myself its not bad.

FOR SALE
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13146
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby paul2508 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Sebastian wrote:I've seen a very well mantained FTO with 2 years NCT sold for peanuts, Deffo the NCT makes a solid point in selling but it's all about finding the right(honest) buyer and not the usual lunatics .

fussy feckers , usual lunatics ... same differnece :lol:
paul2508

Postby Mustang » Fri May 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Given the open invite I'm gonna jump right in.
The glass ceiling on prices appears to be at €3k, despite some delusionalattempts to shatter this ceiling. :roll:

To my mind a clean well maintained, '98 manual GPvR, with fresh NCT, no outstanding work and a bit of tax left could expect to achive something approaching 3k probably closer to €2700 in reality.

You have pointed out that the car has some underbody rust which has cuased it to fail the NCT. In reality they all have some underbody rust, but the trigger point is wheather it causes an NCT failure (road safety concern) or not. Having failed on this point the next question is how serious is the problem -is this a replacement chassis leg issue -probably €200 -€300 per leg parts and labour to resolve, or are we looking at significant structural degredation -chassis compromised and flexing =unrepairable write off and unsafe.? In which case the car only has scrap value.

Most punters, myself included couldn't be bothered taking on such a project along with the other NCT failure issues (costs)-just wait until the next sorted car comes along.

Obviously both the NCT and price are important.

The NCT is a prerequisite to an easy sale.
Without NCT you'll have to discount substantially to make this an attractive proposition for someone to take on the project/ risk. ~€1500 IMO.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion