Viewing a good distance from home / insurance

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Viewing a good distance from home / insurance

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:08 am

You're looking a view a car a good distance away from home, chances are you're gonna do the deal. Rather than laying down a deposit and going to sort insurance (assuming the second driver isn't already insured), are there any options that people are aware for short term cover rather than trek back across the country to pick up the motor?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:09 am

Most comprehensive policies will have driving of other cars on them, basically speaking, you can drive any car on a third party basis. check with your insurers.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby stevec » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:41 am

On my policy, I can drive any other car "as long as I don't own it".
Most comp policies have this - only problem is as soon as you buy the car - you can't drive it...
Bring a mate with a similar ploicy and it should work.
stevec
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:16 am

Dave wrote:Most comprehensive policies will have driving of other cars on them, basically speaking, you can drive any car on a third party basis. check with your insurers.

On my policy, I can drive any other car "as long as I don't own it".
Most comp policies have this

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I was under the impression that third party driver extention was only applicable if car you're driving is already covered by an existing policy? (thats how it works with QD anyway...)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:39 am

CJ wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I was under the impression that third party driver extention was only applicable if car you're driving is already covered by an existing policy? (thats how it works with QD anyway...)

CJ

No I do not believe that to be the case. I specifically asked my insurer and they said the other car does not have to be otherwise insured. As a caveat to that I believe that your own car is supposed to be parked up at the time i.e. they will only cover one road risk at a time -I gues that would only become an issue if both cars were similtaneously crashed :shock: Either your insurance covers you on 3rd party extension or it doesn't what would be the point of requiring two insurance polices to cover your driving of the other car. :?:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:53 am

Mustang wrote:Either your insurance covers you on 3rd party extension or it doesn't what would be the point of requiring two insurance polices to cover your driving of the other car. :?:

Well I know for sure that QD won't cover you on a car that isn't already insured, some time ago, I had it out with them over the phone on this particular point. I'd be interested to hear if other insurers specify this requirement.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stevec » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 pm

If the other car is insured by someone else - you're still not covered to drive it. I don't see how this could make a difference..

The only issue raised if the other car isn't insured in it's own right is that it won't have a valid insurance disc and therefore (I think) not be legal on the road.

The question is - what entity is being insured, the car or the driver?

I'm pretty sure my policy (Allianz) says nothing about the other car needing someone to be insured on it - I'll have to read it tonight.
stevec
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby baldtyres » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Just to back up a couple of previous posts.....
If the car you are looking at is currently uninsured then your insurance will not cover it either.
Your policy may cover it if it is insured by it's current owner and your insurance gives you open driving.

The best way to do this is have a mate (or your mammy) drive you to look at this car. Give yourself a window of a few hours on that day to transfer your insurance over to the car to give you time to test drive it and get it home if you choose to buy it. No disk is necessary and your insurance company will (should) e-mail you a cover letter for this duration.
That way all you've lost is part of a day and you won't feel too much under pressure to buy the car.
I have often test driven a car this way.
A quick phone call to your insurance company with the reg and details of the car you're looking at and your ins. company should oblige.

I've taken new cars from garages for the weekend worth 7 times the price of my FTO and my insurance company covered them at no extra charge once I've given them the exact pick up and return time.

Hope this is of any help.
Midlifecrisisinagpx
baldtyres
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to Motor Insurance