Second Car Ideas

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Second Car Ideas

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:20 am

I'd get a 159 over a 93. Worked for a saab garage and while they're a nice enough car, I wouldn't buy one
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Mustang wrote:
My short list would be Saab 93, alfa 159 (although Irish cars are poverty spec and english ones aint cheap), alfa GT, accord CDTI, Octavia,vRS.

Thats a long list if you ask me ;) My shortlist is vRS and iCDTI, most likely will go for the latter in exec trim. Whats 'poor' mpg in earlier models by the way? It will be a novelty to own a car that returns more than 19mpg!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 pm

CJ wrote:Thats a long list if you ask me ;) My shortlist is vRS and iCDTI, most likely will go for the latter in exec trim.

Agreed, that was more of a long list -just trying to help. I also agree with your choice the skoda vRS and accord CDTI would be my top two out of that bunch.
My only reservation with the skoda would be that the suspension set up, might be a bit on the firm side, it being the sporty variant -making it less ideal as a commuter, I'm only guessing though. On the plus side it is a hatchback, which should have all the boot space you'll ever reasonable need. In my book the hatchback is a big plus when buying a sensible car. (That said the accord also has a big boot, but doesn't have the versatility of a hatch).

The exec trim accord is a nice car, and marks a huge improvement in terms of Jap car interiors. The accord feels solid and is a very capable cruiser. Friend of mine has a 04;' diesel, and does ~35k miles a year in it -no problems -that said his uncle is a honda mechanic and services the car religiuosly.
CJ wrote: Whats 'poor' mpg in earlier models by the way? It will be a novelty to own a car that returns more than 19mpg!

Mid 30's mpg. I think it just came down to teething trouble with Honda's first diesel engine. Check out this article. I believe it should be able to achieve ~50mpg.

Just to lengthen the list. Lexus IS220. Money no object I'd have a Citroen C6 2.7.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gfalls » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Get an Alfa. My 166 is absolute comfort, and it does 35mpg+. Not bad for a huge car..
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby soc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 am

CJ wrote: It will be a novelty to own a car that returns more than 19mpg!

CJ

I'm seeing a solid 44.5mpg in the 320d for my everyday city driving - got as high as 51.5mpg for motorway to sligo over the weekend. I really don't know myself only having to fill up every 14 - 16 days (it's a saving of 150pm over the TT on fuel alone)...
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey CJ,
Did you get a car yet?

I'm thinking of getting an Accord now myself, they have dropped in value now, so I fancy have a little more comfort for the motorway miles than the Octavia!

Dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 pm

Cj got a 320d. Saw an accord diesel 05 for around 7k a few months back. Thinking of upgrading too. Thinking s60/s80 d5 or omega 2.2d
colm_mcm

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:09 am

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that!!!

They have come down to reasonable money, 10K would get a top spec one with a few extras!! Anything would be better than the Octavia!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Previous

Return to Other Cars