HID Headlamp problem

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

HID Headlamp problem

Postby Mustang » Mon May 09, 2011 11:53 am

My right side HID has stopped working. I've swapped over the bulb from the LHS and it does not appear to be the bulb. I've also checked the light fuses in the engine bay -all appear to be intact. I also swapped over two of the light relays in the engine bay fuse box. -No joy there either.

There is a grounding point, just beside the RHS headlight, which is my next area of investigation -unfortunately I ran out of time/weather to investigate this.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Slightly OT -£60 for a replacement HID bulb from Camskill :shock:
Can these be had elsewhere at more reasosnable money?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: HID Headlamp problem

Postby CJ » Mon May 09, 2011 11:57 am

Normally, either the ballast or bulb gives up the ghost. Cheapest option would be to buy a new set off ebay and split the cost with someone in a similar situation....
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Mon May 09, 2011 11:59 am

When I changed mine Mustang I got them off some German fella on ebay, €40 for one. Osrams, I had a thread with pics of them but can't for the life of me find it. I was sure it was in the Knowledgebase.

(EDIT: Found it: http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11365)
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon May 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Dragonheart wrote:When I changed mine Mustang I got them off some German fella on ebay, €40 for one. Osrams, I had a thread with pics of them but can't for the life of me find it. I was sure it was in the Knowledgebase.

(EDIT: Found it: http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11365)

Thanks, I don't understand why you went to the bother of removing the bumper though. There are three (torx/ ribe) screws holding the back light-cover in place -remove the three screws, take off the cover and the bulb can be removed -in the normal manner no big deal. (Although the LHS one is obscured by the windscreen water bottle,) but still no need to remove the bumper -just to change/swap a bulb -it's a 5-10 minute job to replace the bulb (on the RHS).
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Mon May 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Like I've said before and in that thread, its not an aftermarket unit, its a factory one, the back of the light unit is totally different to the aftermarket ones. You can see it in the pictures, its over an inch longer, and the aircon pipes dont allow you to get at the final screws, and then dont allow the back of the unit to come off. Believe me, if there was a way to do it apart from taking off the bumper I'd have found it. So unfortunately, its not a plain simple job like a normal headlight, its an afterthought, and a very badly designed one at that. What should be a 5-10 minute job turns into a job that takes a whole day.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon May 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Dragonheart wrote:Like I've said before and in that thread, its not an aftermarket unit, its a factory one, the back of the light unit is totally different to the aftermarket ones. You can see it in the pictures, its over an inch longer, and the aircon pipes dont allow you to get at the final screws, and then dont allow the back of the unit to come off. Believe me, if there was a way to do it apart from taking off the bumper I'd have found it. So unfortunately, its not a plain simple job like a normal headlight, its an afterthought, and a very badly designed one at that. What should be a 5-10 minute job turns into a job that takes a whole day.

Well I believe mine is a factory fit unit, (although I could be wrong) -I think these were standard kit on face lift GPX's? but it sounds like either your light and/or a/c set up is different as I don't have the same access issues at the rear of the headlight unit. Anyone know if more than one OEM HID set up was used.
Is your A/c manual or auto? Or perhaps the a/c set up is different on auto verses manual transmission cars?
Will try and get some photos.
Anyway sounds like the balast is the problem, I guess next step is to swap the ballast unit over from the LHS :smt022
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Mon May 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Not sure if its something to do with the tip over manual. I do know that lads in Oz were having the same queries, and GT94 had the same issue also with his, and as far as I remember his was manual. Danny Kierans could answer that as he has it now.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Mon May 09, 2011 2:13 pm

My bumper had to come off too, no other way of accessing them. I bought the same ones as Mj, they are brilliant. Just don't buy one, replace the two.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Factory hids will have a HID logo visible with the bonnet closed.
colm_mcm

Postby Mustang » Mon May 09, 2011 2:37 pm

colm_mcm wrote:Factory hids will have a HID logo visible with the bonnet closed.

You what now?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 pm

A small logo on the headlight cluster at the bottom of the unit.
colm_mcm

Postby Dragonheart » Mon May 09, 2011 4:26 pm

optical illusion wrote:Just don't buy one, replace the two.

Ya good point, you dont want a different shade on one HID than the other. But if its not your bulb then you shouldn't have that problem anyway.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby paul2508 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:33 pm

i got a set off ebay for 40 euro some german manufacture . i got a set off 8000k just slightly different than the usual 6000k others get . if you want the name of the make let us know. ill just check the ballast.
...Me fail english?..Thats unpossible.....
paul2508
FTO-Ireland rules my world

Postby Mustang » Mon May 09, 2011 8:07 pm

colm_mcm wrote:A small logo on the headlight cluster at the bottom of the unit.

Colm could you be much more specific? I can't see any logo on mine when the bonnet is closed. :smt017

What is the balast? Is it an electrical transformer?

Anyway some pics of my units
RHS

Plenty of room behind the RHS unit to remove the cover and replace the HID bulb.

Yellow sticker -all in Japanese

On the LHS
A bit more tricky as the windscreen washer bottle obscures the access -difficult to get the bottom screw (nearest the wing) off but not impossible. Again enough room to remove the back cover and replace the bulb

@MJ
On The picture of your light below

Did the whole thing come off in one pece like that. What is the piece highlighted in red, it looks like a bracket, but it's not visible when installed on the car?

Is the balast that large section indicated with the yellow arrow?

Any chance you have some photos of the car head on with the bumper removed showing how the lights look?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Mon May 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Mustang wrote: Any chance you have some photos of the car head on with the bumper removed showing how the lights look?

Pics in this thread...
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11434&hilit=hid
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon May 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Bernard wrote:
Mustang wrote: Any chance you have some photos of the car head on with the bumper removed showing how the lights look?

Pics in this thread...
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11434&hilit=hid

Looks like the balast is mounted in a frame, under the headlight unit. This is looking like a complete PITA, just as well it's summer time, and bright in the evenings. Can't see myself finding the time to take this on. :roll:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby paul2508 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:55 pm

its easier than you think man. Once you hav your bumper off ,its handy enough
...Me fail english?..Thats unpossible.....
paul2508

Postby Dragonheart » Mon May 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Mustang: Ya the yellow arrow points to the ballast, the red is a bracket of some sort supporting the ballast, the whole unit came out as one piece. A bit of a pain as there was a bit of jiggely pokery to get it out even with the bumper off. Its actually not a very hard job once the bumper is off, its just getting it off is the hardest bit. You seem to have a bit more room than I do though between your light units and the pipes. I'll try and get pics tomorrow to compare.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Tue May 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Pretty much 3 screws has the bumper off. Just when aligning it to put it back on get someone at each end rather than yourself in the middle, as bf scratched the sh1t outta my right wing as a result :roll:
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 pm

optical illusion wrote:Pretty much 3 screws has the bumper off. Just when aligning it to put it back on get someone at each end rather than yourself in the middle, as bf scratched the sh1t outta my right wing as a result :roll:

You're forgetting about the bolts underneath.
Bumper removal
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Wed May 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Oh ya, and those :)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical