New Donegal FTO Owner

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

New Donegal FTO Owner

Postby waynebowden » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Hello Guys,

Just took ownership of a lovely FTO. Long-time lover of all things Japanese. Have to admit I have had Toyota tunnel vision until recent years. Bought a 1997 Starlet for my first car out at 17, moved to a 1995 liftback corolla (which I spent nearly €5000 pimping out, the folly's of youth) onto big boy toys with a 250bhp Glanza and the a trip down nostalgia lane with a mark one boxy MR2 complete with rusted out subframe which was scrapped a few weeks after selling. I grew up and wanted a car to project a professional image so I acquired a 320D BMW which introduced me to leather interiors, cruise control, reverse parking sensors, 48mpg city driving and excellent safety record. But with these modern comforts came boredom a distinguished love of driving dwindled until now.

As family circumstances forced the need for a second car and with Christmas fast approaching with my partner struggling on what gift to get me I decided what better time to acquire a Japanese dream machine. I must admit my Toyota tendencies began to creep back and with a need for a car 1994 or older to qualify for vintage insurance in January, clapped out Celica's and worse for wear MR2 were all done deal had to offer. I broadened my search and came across the listing's for the FTO's a phone call some negotiating and a trip to Dublin later I am now the proud owner of a 1994 white V6 triptronic mivec FTO.

And some rear window graphics listing this forum's web address has brought me here hoping to meet some liked minded individuals.

Im also hoping that as the website was fixed to the car I might be able to get some information and history on the vehicle from forum members who are familiar with the car or possibly the previous owner the reg is 94 D 47999

Thanks guys

Wayne
waynebowden
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: New Donegal FTO Owner

Postby Kace » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:21 am

Welcome !

Can't help you on that machine but I'm sure someone here can.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:33 pm

:wel

Know nothing about that particular car, but hope you enjoy it none the less. I too fund this site thanks to some window graphics. I think we should all get fto Ireland decals for our rear windows
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby waynebowden » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks Guys great to be here. Yes for sure its a great way to advertise the site and unify all the FTO owners in the Isle :)
waynebowden
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Bernard » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Hey Wayne, welcome along.

AFAIK, that was Baldrick's car (not 100%)

Picture from April 2009, more here.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby waynebowden » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Bernard

Yep that's the car is all its glory. Still as immaculate a small crack and scuff on the bumper but other than that Identical. Are you aware of any history of the Car the guy I bought the car from was far from an enthusiast! Had had splashed out 400 euro with receipts for a new starter only 1 month ago imported from Japan a quick search of this forum and a guide to restore with parts costing 20 Euro would have saved him a lot of Money. Looking to make the car my own now have my eyes on some nice to parts to add my own flair but not take away from the originality and excellence the car is.

Thanks

Wayne
waynebowden
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Bernard » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:48 pm

I have no idea of the car's history, have a browse through Baldricks old posts...
Here's his For sale thread http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12143&p=92785#p92785

FYI, it's a GR and therefore not a Mivec model
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby waynebowden » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:19 am

Thanks for the info Bernard.

Im a little peeved as the car was sold and the car history check listed this model as a Mivec but here we are.

Is there major difference in performance between Mivec and none Mivec?

Thanks

Wayne
waynebowden
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Uncle B » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi Wayne,
:wel

GR puts out ~170BHP while the Mivec is ~200BHP.

If the oil cap is on the right its a GR, if its on the left its a GPX as far as I remember.
You'll notice the difference in engine note at around 5.5k RPM when Mivec kicks in also.

I've never driven a GR so that's about all I know about them!

Paul
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby waynebowden » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Uncle B

Thank you very much for the info. The oil cap is indeed on the right. I presume its located to the right when looking into the engine and not right from sitting in the car facing forward.

When I test drove the car the engine changed its noise at around the 5000 rpm sound like drawing more air and you get a real back into your seat thrust so I had no question of there being "something extra" But as stated this is my first Japanese non Toyota Purchase So I was a little naive.

But we live and learn the car is such a joy to drive and Im happy with the overall purchase

Thanks guys for all the info

Wayne
waynebowden
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Bernard » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Search is your friend, most questions have been asked and answered over the years.
Here's one on the difference between models to get you started :wink:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Uncle B » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:28 pm

What model/colour MK1 MR2 did you have btw? I've always liked them!
Had a go in a nice supercharged one :-)
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

Postby waynebowden » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:10 pm

It's was a white one the first generation 1.6L 4A-GE engine version never had the pleasure of the suer charged version. At the time of purchase they were hard to find and people where looking for a ransom. The 4A-GE gave alot of bang for the buck. With a removable sun roof and electric mirrors and windows they must have seemed like spaceships sent back from the future when released in 87
waynebowden
Speed freak
Speed freak

Return to Introduce yourself