downloading music

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

downloading music

Postby colm_mcm » Thu May 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Killing the music industry, obviously deplorable behaviour. Just curious as to what programs (torrents etc) these awful people use and what ones are generally recommended?

hypothetically, if someone had Eircom Broadband and didn't want to get caught...
colm_mcm

Re: downloading music

Postby Uncle B » Thu May 06, 2010 7:22 pm

If I were one of these despicable people who hypothetically downloaded music I'd use rapidshare.

If any of the brutes friends/family were also horrible enough to want access to every album/movie/game under the sun they could all chip in €10 each and get 6 months of high speed downloading by sharing the details.

Of course I woudn't know myself but the allowance is supposedly 4gb a day which builds up to a maximum of 24gb.

So if noone were to not use it for a while one could go and download 24 movies in a single day, or so I've been told.

The beauty of rapidshare is that it doesn't use obscure ports that companies/colleges block. So you are able to download at mad speeds. Apparently.

The material is very easy to find and there are multiple programs to help with everything.
Now I only know this because I checked up on it after seeing how poor Madonna and her ilk are struggling to get by. I mean only being able to give your child a million for her birthday is crazy in this day and age.

These people do have to be wary as they could find themselves at their monthly download limit quite quickly.
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Bernard » Thu May 06, 2010 7:29 pm

You should get yourself one of these Colm.
One touch downloads, no hassels :D
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Thu May 06, 2010 7:32 pm

The big freeloaders out there use Rapidshare as per Uncle B, its a subscription based service with plenty of legitimate uses. Peerblock is worth considering as a means to control spyware and stop certain parties snooping in on your Internet traffic.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gfalls » Thu May 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Rapidshare monitor your downloads. If they see your account being used by several different ISP's, they terminate your account. Voice of experience speaking. I gave my account number to a mate (ex-mate) who decided to give it to everybody he knew. I got an email from rapidshare, after they'd cancelled my account.. :(
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby colm_mcm » Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Is rapidshare legal so? I mean would eircom have a problem with it?
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Thu May 06, 2010 9:58 pm

I have been going legal for years now as I couldn't be arsed with poor quality and uncertain downloading times etc.

It's Alltunes all the way for me. Russian in origin and quite hard to get the payments processed for those without the patience to learn how to do so, but at 1/10 the price of iTunes and a very very large selection it's a real winner. Interface and download options are great too - several different download qualities are possible with the lowest bit rates much cheaper again.

Shhhh - don't tell everyone about it though !!
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 07, 2010 8:06 am

colm_mcm wrote:I mean would eircom have a problem with it?

It runs over the same ports that your web browser uses so it doesn't stand out like torrent traffic - however, they will get you if your bandwidth usage is consistently high. Check the T's & C's in your contract. Rapidshare is totally legal (for the moment...)

Good tip re Alltunes Kace, I'd forgotten about them.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Computers and IT