Trouble at VAGE?

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Trouble at VAGE?

Postby Mustang » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:24 am

This discussion going on over at octane. It seems that vage (the VW audi forum) has undergone a split as the committee has decided to levy a €30 membership fee. This has not gone down well with all the members. I have no interest in the vage site myself but it's an owners forum just like this one - but looks like it's in trouble.
Perhaps our man on the inside could advise. SOC where are you :?:
http://www.vage.ie/
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Trouble at VAGE?

Postby soc » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:51 pm

Mustang wrote:This discussion going on over at octane. It seems that vage (the VW audi forum) has undergone a split as the committee has decided to levy a €30 membership fee. This has not gone down well with all the members. I have no interest in the vage site myself but it's an owners forum just like this one - but looks like it's in trouble.

Yea, there's a bit of trouble there alright - dunno much about it but it seems the VAGE club have closed the forum to non-members (of the club). Stupid really cause it goes against the idea of a web forum. Creating a bit of bad feeling and now there's a new alternative VAG forum - www.vagdrivers.net
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dean » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:10 pm

Vag is the worst name for ANY forum I have ever seen.

It sounds like a lesbian chat group.
Dean
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby PT FTO » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:26 pm

Dean wrote:It sounds like a lesbian chat group.

:smt043 :smt043 :smt043
mmmm!! GPX........and its not all mine anymore....:-(
PT FTO
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:06 pm

Dean wrote:It sounds like a lesbian chat group.

:smt005 Depends on how you pronounce it though i.e 'vag'abond or well em the other alternative ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:42 pm

soc wrote:
Mustang wrote:This discussion going on over at octane. It seems that vage (the VW audi forum) has undergone a split as the committee has decided to levy a €30 membership fee. This has not gone down well with all the members. I have no interest in the vage site myself but it's an owners forum just like this one - but looks like it's in trouble.

Yea, there's a bit of trouble there alright - dunno much about it but it seems the VAGE club have closed the forum to non-members (of the club). Stupid really cause it goes against the idea of a web forum. Creating a bit of bad feeling and now there's a new alternative VAG forum - www.vagdrivers.net

Well mate the FTO Owners Club is also closed to non members. They can access the forum and look but they can't post after 20 posts and they can't participate in group buys or avail themselves of the club discounts.

People unfortunately think these sites pay for themselves - they don't, and although I know CJ doesn't want to take this route, there should be a contribution to this site also in fairness to him.

I know everyone has a different point of view but theres a lot of time and effort that goes into these forums, and they are under constant development. I agree with charging for them, but I have to say £30 is a bit over the top and unneccessary as we run our whole club on £15 joining / £10 renewal.
JJ
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:44 pm

JJ wrote:People unfortunately think these sites pay for themselves - they don't, and although I know CJ doesn't want to take this route, there should be a contribution to this site also in fairness to him.

JJ, last year, I started asking for contributions once annual hosting charges come around, its not obligatory and to be fair to the guys, the people who use the forum the most tend to be the ones who contribute. This forum is a lot smaller than the FTOOC one and doesn't require as much work in terms of administration and maintanence, that said, its become a labour of love over the past couple of years. If we suddenly get a huge influx of members, then it might make sense to start charging for access, until then, the forums will remain open to all :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic