New here and want to buy my first FTO

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

New here and want to buy my first FTO

Postby Intox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Hey all I've known about this site for some time but just singed up today as I think im nearly ready to take the plunge and buy an FTO.

The only thing that has me torn is I have a fondness for the 99+ celica (which would cost me in the region of an additional grand or so over the FTO)

So Im down to:

FTO 1.8
Celica 1.8

I guess I started this thread in the hope I could be swayed one way and get advice on FTO models.

Has anybody on here got experience of driving both?

Thanks for any input in advance
Intox

Re: New here and want to buy my first FTO

Postby optical illusion » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Why 1.8?

The gearbox in the celica would worry me, I'm assuming it's the older version you're talking about?

You should look up insurance before you decide, FTOs are impossible to insure.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Intox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Hey. reason I say 1.8 is because this would be my 2nd car and Im on a learner permit! so trying to keep insurance as low as possible. Im 26 so that is the only thing that has worked in my favour.

Nope dont mean older model celica. 99 - 06 model.

Ive always wanted an fto growing up, but feel that now I am off age and in a position, that maybe the car has aged and would be more trouble than worth hmmm
Intox

Postby d_dan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Hes talking about the 7th Gen celica's

if your going for the 140bhp celica and 1.8 GS FTO id go for the Celica.
But if you would considder going for a bigger engine model.
GPX FTO VS (VVTl-i) celica it would be very close. if you want performance I would go for the FTO but if your going on looks I prefer the celica
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 pm

I'd be the opposite opinion to Dan on the looks but its all down to personal taste. The 190 bhp Celicas would be close in performance to the GPX, but in my opinion theres just toooooo many Celicas on the road, and they all look the same, apart from the odd one that has the TRD bodykit, and those are few and far between. The Celicas lines are totally different to the FTO, the FTO's are more curvy and the Celicas are straighter and harsher. Other than that they're very similar, both have big heavy doors, (Celicas seem bigger though), both can be modded subtly and tastefully, and if its the 190 bhp model both are close in performance. If its the standard 1.8 vs the 1.8 GS then yes the Celica would be quicker, provided thats what you're after. Also there is the age thing, you'd have to make sure an FTO was well looked after, as the newest FTO you will get would be almost the same age as the oldest Celica you'll get, (of the model you're looking at).
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby d_dan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Not to mention its very hard to find a clean GS Probably the rarest model in Ireland
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 am

d_dan wrote:Not to mention its very hard to find a clean GS Probably the rarest model in Ireland

For good reason tbh. Doesn't do the FTO justice at all. Manual Mivec is your only man. The sound off a 2L V6 mivec (esp with aftermarket exhaust and induction) is just fantastic compared to the 4 pot 1.8 litre Celica.

FTO is a far better looking car than the Celica IMO and has aged much better to boot (despite being considerably older).

Personally I don't think the age of the car is really going to matter once you go over 8-10years old - its all going to come down to how well the car has been maintained. I really don't think that the 97 FTO I have at present is going to be any worse for wear than the vast majority of 01-03 Celica's.

Having said all that I allways wanted a GT4 - particularly the earlier model - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2502642
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:18 am

+1 - turn on the key to any V6 FTO, stand behind it and listen.

Bye bye Celica.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsubishi-Mental » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Nothing wrong with the GS FTO I've owned mine for a year now and i took a step back from the 175bhp mirage mivec. the 1.8 FTO is economical, relatively easy to insure, fast enough and the engines are bulletproof and is a god starting point before moving onto the likes of GPX's which are near impossible to insure. Far more rare than the Celica which are so common. nice cars but not quite FTO in my opinion
Wicklow Vtec Fighter
Mitsubishi-Mental
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:17 pm

IMO the celica is a nice looking car, but I would have to pretend my wife owned it if I had one. It is a bit of a womans car, albeit a quick one. The FTO is much better looking and much fewer on the road, so you get more attention :) Celicas are way too common.

But lets look at insurance here: OP is comin off a learners permit, so NCB is likely low, or NIL. Insurance in a mivec would be impossible and the GS is at least realistic. It was only weeks ago when I almost sold my FTO, because the insurance companies had it down as a mivec, even though it was a GR. I could not even get a quote! AND I am 28 with full NCB!!! Thankfully I got it insured and I am happily motoring.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion