FTO as a first car?

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

FTO as a first car?

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to here.

Just want to give you some stats with regard to getting insured:

Female
No points
Named driver 1 1/2 years - QD
2nd provisional

Can't get an FTO till next year as going touring the world on Thursday for 5 months!

So lets just say that next year I'll have the above stats but I'll be 23 and have a full licence hopefully.

I love FTO's mostly for their looks, and while I'd love a bog standard GX, I'd be happy with a 1.8 if it meant no outrageous insurance quotes!

Thing is, it would be my first car... :?

Now, my question is (and I don't mind doing this if it means I get my FTO, I will not be happy till I get one) should I buy a cheap fiesta or something and work up 1 or 2 years NCB?

Or go ahead and get the FTO as a first car? My logic is that if I spend 2K on a fiesta say, and 800 on QD insurance, I'd have the FTO's insurance paid at that stage anyway, and that's at a pretty bad quote.

To be honest, after reading through the mostly negative posts here, I'm afraid of my life to ring QD, especially since I'm just enquiring and not getting one yet. And since ye say they won't insure you as a new customer.

So what do ye think guys?

My bf also says he thinks I'd be mad getting such a fast car as a first, and would be better off to get my parking bumps and scratches on a crap fiesta instead of my FTO. I've only driven on my own to be honest a couple of times, but I'm a good driver.

Sorry for the spiel!! :oops: Advice greatly appreciated!
Last edited by optical illusion on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:43 pm

Hey there,

I honestly wouldn;t think insurance would be too bad for a 23 year old female with a full license. You might be surprised. Of cuorse it will be more than a fiesta obviously, but not prohibitively expensive.

The one thing I agree with is your boyfriends comments about scratchs and parking bumps. From experience, you will always get a few taps and wheel scuffs and bumper marks on a first car till you get used to it. Maybe its just me, but I think thats normal.

I would normally suggest driving for 12 months on a fiesta or something, and getting the scratches and then getting an FTO with a years no cliams etc. but... I am impatient and when you want something, you want it. :lol: I'd say ring Quinn once you hit 23 and get a quote for full license. It its affordable, sure why not go for it. :wink:
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:51 pm

Dude, thanks for the positive answer!! :smt050 :smt038

In fairness, the only thing I had going for me I would've thought, like yourself, is the fact that I'm female.

I agree with your 'scuffs' statement, it's something I'm going to have to sit down and think about...

I've been obsessed for so long now... It'll be hard...

I wonder would there be much of a difference quote wise between a 1.8 and 2.0?

I have this bad feeling that all the companies I ring are gonna say: "As a first car?! Are you mad??" laugh, and then hang up... :(
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:51 pm

Hiya,

Welcome to the forum.

Your boyfriend has the right idea about getting the bumps and stuff out of the way in a wee car - but having said that I'm kinda of the conviction that if there is something you REALLY want you shouldn't deny yuorself by going the long way around.. Besides - you're more likely to get bumps and scratches in a car you don't really care about than you are in one you love.
With regards to insurance costs diffence between 1.8 (GS) to any of the other models most companies don't distinguish (ridiculous I know) so you might as well go for the full sha-bang unless ofcourse you'er worries about road tax or the enviroment.

Happy travels and I hope there's a few good FTOs for sale when you return.

(Insurance companies don't actually need to know it's your 1st car - if you have a NCB then you're flying it)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:00 pm

How can you have a NCB without having a car though?? Confused!!

I've had my eye on this one for aaaaaages: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rid=615297

Hasn't been sold for months now... Maybe someday... :cry:

And a bit OT but, why hasn't this been sold yet?? s3x on wheels like, I'd even be converted from loving black to liking white!! Prob be hard to insure with all it's mods I suppose... Not to meantion a MANUAL!!! Somebody buy it!!! :D http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=731961
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:05 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:you might as well go for the full sha-bang unless ofcourse you'er worries about road tax or the enviroment.

:lol: LMAO maud... My love for the environment almost stopped me getting my Version R for a Prius instead. ;) Go the whole sha-bang Laura. You'll love it. PS. The black 97 one is very nice indeed.
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:06 pm

I know mcgon, tis breaking my heart, been up there for months now begging me to buy it... *cries*

And a lady owner too, so it'll probably be clean... :lol:
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:09 pm

optical illusion wrote:And a bit OT but, why hasn't this been sold yet??

The main reason it hasn't sold is its not worth anywhere near 9250 euro.

The best thing you can do is talk to insurance companies and brokers to get an idea of the sort of money you'll be paying out on a premium. You might also want to bear in mind the yearly cost of tax on a 2L car.

I wouldn't recommend an FTO to an inexperienced driver, any mistakes you might make in a Fiesta will be compounded in a car with 2 and half times the power. That said, make up your own mind - if you want one and can afford it, then go for it. At times like this, its easy to let your heart overrule your head ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Really?? What do you think its worth?? I would have thought that was reasonable for such a nice car, that'll tell you what I know!! :roll: I suppose the GPvR is 7,900...

Definitely taking your advice on board guys, what's another year? I may tip around in a fiesta yet.. then get my dream car...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:27 pm

Sorry I misread the 1.5years named driver bit :-)

here's a thought - get an wee runabout till you find the right FTO :-) Even if you only have the run about for a few months it's all driving experience..

I used to switch from a 1.4l to the fto on a regular basis - and everytime I was reminded that the FTO is quite powerful.
Have been driving a 1.6l Golf for the past couple of weeks (car pooling, saving nature! ;-) ) and today was the 1st proper drive in the fto for a while.. some difference!

But - it all depends on how confident a driver you are..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Re: FTO as a first car?

Postby Gwyn » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:17 pm

'I love FTO's mostly for their looks, and while I'd love a bog standard GX........'
there is nothing bog standard about a GX!!!! How dare thee...... :wink:

I'd be happy with a 1.8 if it meant no outrageous insurance quotes!

Don't get the 1.8 - it's a 2.0 V6 or a fiesta............
Gwyn
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Well I'll put it this way: I'm a 21 year old bloke and I only got my full license TODAY and QD quoted me 1156 euro TPFT on an FTO GPX. Which I think is fantastic.

Now granted I do have 2 years NCB on my own policy, but insurance companies love women. My girlfriend, 20, who has never driven a car in her life gets a lower quote on my Punto than I do with her first provisional.

I don't think you've too much to worry about, give them a call!
Wildhound
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Bernard » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:19 pm

Wildhound wrote:Well I'll put it this way: I'm a 21 year old bloke and I only got my full license TODAY

Congratulations :smt023 :smt026
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Wildhound wrote:Well I'll put it this way: I'm a 21 year old bloke and I only got my full license TODAY and QD quoted me 1156 euro TPFT on an FTO GPX. Which I think is fantastic.

Congrats on your license... but 21, just got your licence, 1156 euro TPFT on an FTO GPX???? :shock: I hope you got that in writing!! I'm turning 31 shortly (going gray any day now... :lol: ), 3 years NCB (had 7 before that), license 12 years, and I'm thinking I should dip below the 1k mark this year hopefully. If you don't have it in writing, call them back and get them to send it to you asap!!
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 pm

kevinod wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Well I'll put it this way: I'm a 21 year old bloke and I only got my full license TODAY and QD quoted me 1156 euro TPFT on an FTO GPX. Which I think is fantastic.

... but 21, just got your licence, 1156 euro TPFT on an FTO GPX???? :shock: I hope you got that in writing!! ......... If you don't have it in writing, call them back and get them to send it to you asap!!

Kevs not wrong - I'm very surprised at that quote - I was paying more than that for TPFT at 33yrs and full NCB. Take their arm off and quick!
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:26 pm

I was surprised too! I was quoted 1198 over the phone for a Mitsubishi GTO non-turbo aswell. I have the reference numbers for both quotes and they're valid for 40 days so they can't really change their mind now! :)
Wildhound

Postby optical illusion » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Well done Wildhound!!!

Gwyn, no offence, hehe, I meant with no mods... :D
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby baldtyres » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:45 am

Just buy an FTO and don't scuff, scratch or crash it....SIMPLE :wink: