Audi A4 Wagon

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Audi A4 Wagon

Postby Kace » Sat May 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Chaps - I am thinking about getting one of these as a second car for the family - the grief from the other half is becoming too much to bear so we need to expand the fleet.

I quite like these http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=676335 but don't want to go out and buy blindly without knowing the models that are best and the key things to avoid.

Any of you VAG heads know a good place to get the low down / comparisons / model types on these types of car.

I've been mostly on carzone to date (which has a good selection) but I would like to review opinions from others who drive etc ?

Anyone know the best place ?

Thoughts on this car as a choice for a family wagon (which can carry baby, wife, luggage, golf clubs and kite equipment )?

K
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Sat May 12, 2007 9:44 pm

I really like the A4 Avants - I don't know a lot about the diesels other than the 130bhp has plenty of poke for a diesel. You'll get a lot more info on www.vagdrivers.net or www.vag20v.net - there's another site but I can't think of the url rigt now.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Sun May 13, 2007 1:58 pm

Maybe someone will educate me sometime, but why pay Audi money when a Skoda is basically the same car way cheaper? :?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby soc » Sun May 13, 2007 5:52 pm

The skoda's not the same as the A4 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoda_Octavia - but I hear what you're saying. Personally I'd pay it for the looks - I think the Avant a great looking car :wink:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon May 14, 2007 1:18 am

Like the A4 Avants - though they're a little expensive for what they are.

For similar money also consider - BMW 3 series Touring - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=623226
&
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=683416

IS300/IS200 - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=623226

Subaru Legacy - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=553719

Peugeot 407 Estate (very comfortable car) - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=669691

All quite expensive though if you're looking for a second car.
If it was me I'd be going for something like this at half the money - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=679807
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Mon May 14, 2007 7:26 pm

For me I really have to like the look of a car - there's an awful lot of design tat on the road. The FTO actually still looks in style even though it's a 94 design.

I don't like the look of the Skoda, VW - BMW isn't bad but it's still not the best. The larger cars that look good in my opinion are A4 and A6 avants, BMW 5 series, Subaru Impreza - that's about all I like.

Not fully decided on the A4 yet as I know they are v. pricey - but I do like the look of the car. With a good colour and nice set of alloys it's a good looking and performing machine.

Next dilemma is whether to go 1.9TDI for economy or 1.8T for performance and rear looks (twin exhaust ;-) )
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue May 15, 2007 5:03 pm

Kace wrote:Next dilemma is whether to go 1.9TDI for economy or 1.8T for performance and rear looks (twin exhaust ;-) )

The 1.9tdi 130bhp is nippy enough and with a remap you'll see close to 170bhp plus a bootful of torque.

If you go for the 150bhp 1.8T you definitely need to get it remapped - it's heavier than the golf which wasn't really very fast in standard trim. A remap transforms the 1.8t engines.

Personally, I'd hold out for the 1.8t with sports kit and ideally quattro - much nicer interior and handling is vastly improved (although the non-quattro sport handles pretty well)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:32 pm

Got me family wagon last week to supplement the FTO. Tripped over to London on Ryanair last week to pick it up and enjoyed the 4 hour spin back to Holyhead immensely. Here is the spec.....

Finished In Metallic Blue Over Black Buffalino Leather Trim. High Spec Includes, Climate Control, Audi Gmbh Body Kit, 17" Alloys, Audi Symphony Radio CD Player, Bose Sound System, Alluminium Roof Rails, Electric windows, Electric Heated Mirrors, Sports seats, Front Fog Lights, Third Rear Headrest And 3 Point Seatbelt, Traction Control System, ABS, Computer, Remote Central Locking Alarm Immobiliser, 1 Owner, UK Supplied, Full Audi Service History, Recent New Tyres, Beautiful Unmarked Example. Superb High Spec Vehicle Rarely Available With This Low Mileage (35k).

All going well so far - a very different drive to the FTO with plenty of torque low down which then fades at 3.5-4k. Actually feels faster than the FTO but I know of course that it isn't.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:01 am

that looks great Kace! interior and seats look nice and comfy. 8)
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby kevinod » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:44 am

Nice looking motor, is it the 1.9 diesel or 1.8 petrol like you were mentioning earlier?

Out of curiousity, whats the white car behind the Audi in the pics?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 am

Very nice! Am half-n-half looking for somethign with a big-bootey for relaunching my Djing - did you save much by getting in in from the UK or was it a case of the car there being looked after better than the ones available here?
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Bernard » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 am

Muad_dib77 wrote:Am half-n-half looking for somethign with a big-bootey for relaunching my Djing

There you go Muad...It could be you.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:34 am

Sorry - but that's just wrong.(NOI!).I'd prefer not to go down that route..I'm thinking two seperate vehicles..one for fun and one for partying.. ;-)
Last edited by Muad_dib77 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby RussMan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:45 pm

Kace... nice motor... How much did that set you back(if you don't mind me asking?)
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby soc » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:29 pm

Very, very nice - looks like a really nice example. I'd love an avant - ideally an 4.2 V8 S4 :wink:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:18 pm

kevinod wrote:Nice looking motor, is it the 1.9 diesel or 1.8 petrol like you were mentioning earlier?

Got the 1.9TDI (130) in the end. I wasn't really pushed whether I got the 1.9TDI or 1.8T but this one came up on my autotrader search eventually and it had a couple of the extras I really wanted, namely buffalino leather interior and the BOSE soundsystem (this is really the mutts nuts - I now definitely need to upgrade the FTO system as it sounds sheeite in comparison).

Muad_dib77 wrote:Very nice! Am half-n-half looking for somethign with a big-bootey for relaunching my Djing - did you save much by getting in in from the UK or was it a case of the car there being looked after better than the ones available here?

I wasn't really doing the UK thing to save $ - it was more to get the extras and condition and mileage I wanted - the choice is huge in comparison to here and most of the examples here are imports anyway (from my experience).

In relation to price, I probably saved a little in the end but not as much as you can save by going BMW or Merc by all accounts.

RussMan wrote:Kace... nice motor... How much did that set you back(if you don't mind me asking?)

This car was cleared all in at a little under 27k - pricey I know but I'm afraid some of us have to pay for the name and the looks. VRT was 6322EUR on this model.

soc wrote:Very, very nice - looks like a really nice example. I'd love an avant - ideally an 4.2 V8 S4 :wink:

soc - yes I too would LOVE that 4.2l RS4 - but at double the price of this wagon it's a rich mans car.

kevinod wrote:Out of curiousity, whats the white car behind the Audi in the pics?

Finally.....fair play to you for noticing that - this is my first car and the machine that kept me safe for 5 years or so prior to the FTO. How about we do a little challenge to get you guys to guess what it is. I know you can't see much of it, but given the level of knowledge on this site I'm sure you'll get it - go on give it a go (split topic perhaps)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Kace wrote:
kevinod wrote:Out of curiousity, whats the white car behind the Audi in the pics?

Finally.....fair play to you for noticing that - this is my first car and the machine that kept me safe for 5 years or so prior to the FTO. How about we do a little challenge to get you guys to guess what it is. I know you can't see much of it, but given the level of knowledge on this site I'm sure you'll get it - go on give it a go (split topic perhaps)

its a Volvo 480 ES - you'll have to try harder to catch me out when it comes to cars. :wink:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:16 pm

Correct - well done !! 8)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars