Loud squeal on startup, changed belts and pulleys already?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Loud squeal on startup, changed belts and pulleys already?

Postby Tweekender » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi all :) I'm new here, more of an American muscle car man myself ('67 Fastback Mustang) but I acquired my ex's GPX FTO when she left and have kept it as a runaround vehicle. I've had a squeal upon startup for a few weeks so I replaced the alternator and power steering belt yesterday, along with both tensioner pulleys. Adjusted the tension to 8mm-12mm and 3mm-5mm accordingly but still have a rather loud squeal upon startup for about 5-10 seconds. I took the alt. belt off and took a closer look at the pulley on the alternator itself. It definitely doesn't spin as freely as the other two. As I don't know a lot about FTO's, could this pulley be seizing up? Is this a common problem with FTO's? If not, what do you suggest could be the issue causing the squeal? I am in Australia where it's pretty warm so rain/snow is not an issue right now.

Some more info on my car is: 2000 Mivec V6 95 GPX, new pulleys and belts from Camskill replaced 2 days ago, correct tension on belts, alternator not touched in the 5yrs the car was owned by my ex, car has done about 220,000kms.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys and girls :)
Tweekender

Re: Loud squeal on startup, changed belts and pulleys alread

Postby optical illusion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Here, it's usually water on the belts that cause it. That's what it sounds like, could it be some oil on it or something? Throw a bit of baby powder on the belts and see what happens sure.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jazzer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 pm

its probably the started motor. strip it and grease it up or get it refurbished. had the same problem with mine
jazzer
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 pm

jazzer wrote:its probably the started motor. strip it and grease it up or get it refurbished. had the same problem with mine

That's more of a grinding squeal from the starter motor. The squeal the op is talking about is most likely from a worn pulley.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical