All young male drivers starting out... my story.

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

All young male drivers starting out... my story.

Postby padidas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:50 pm

thought i'd have another rant about Quinn... since they're such a popular insurance company.

Wanted to leave some advice for anyone in their late teens - early twenties, basically my story was that I got my provisional when I turned 17, and became insured as a named driver on my mothers car...

Three years passed, and in that time I got my Full Licence but couldnt save up enough to get my own car...

Finally got myself a nice little 1.4 runabout for cheap and looked to Quinn when I was 20, got a "reasonable" quote of 1,100 euro fully comp as they counted my "3 years named driving experience".

First year finished (no claims made) and my quote jumped 250 euro. I rang, answer I recieved was that the "named driver discount" only counts for the first year of a policy, and now I was only down as having "1 year on my own policy"...

midway through year 2 I purchased an FTO GR Manual. Was hell bent on getting it, so didn't care how much my premium would jump, ended up stumping up a further 850 euro ONTOP of the full 1,350 payed at the start of the year!! MADNESS.

I rang up Hibernian direct the other day. (They won't quote on larger than a 1.6, without at LEAST 3 years No claims driving)

Lovely lady on the phone asked me all the questions, and after about 10 minutes i remembered that I had actually done 3 years claims free named, and not just the "soon to be" 2 years on my own policy with Quinn.

My quote on the FTO now?

3 years Named driving experience, with (when I finish this policy's year) 2 years on my own policy.

22 years old.

Full licence, held for almost 3 years.

960 euro - Fully comp.

Moral of the story is, don't get caught out by Quinn, other insurance companies count named driving exactly the same as NCD's on your own policy.

*Rant over* :roll:
padidas
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:19 pm

Crap, I only ever put down the 3 yrs NCB on my forms, never put down the 3 yrs previous to that as a named driver. It used tell me online that it was one or the other, is it ringing them up makes a difference so?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby padidas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 pm

Not sure how Quinn will let you get on (they seem VERY picky about all of it)... but with Hibernian Direct, I was told (and even went as far as to save an e-mail when I asked them about it online aswell, that they count it all the same, you should ring up and ask them, see if your premium will drop.

There's nothing special about it, all I needed for Quinn was a written letter from my previous insurer confirming my 3 years named driving experience and away I went.

Think its so confusing because of some Insurance providers such as Quinn, that people just simply don't think to ask at times...

They also charged me for the "mid-change of policy" when I moved to the FTO aswell....
padidas
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby optical illusion » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:06 pm

Most companies consider your named experience null and void when you start driving on your own policy. Which is stupid. Driving is driving, no matter what the circumstances.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby padidas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:10 pm

that's the truth..

that's why I even made a point of getting it in some sort of writing...

the e-mail I recieved back has the full name of an employee from Hibernian on it..

I'm sick of paying over the odds after never making 1 claim in 5 years!! there's nothing more I can do???

the extra driving courses some companies offer only apply to up to a 1.6 litre aswell.. so you get your licence as quick as you can, and no matter what you do, you still get overcharged...

ring Hibernian lads, just see if they say the same to you.
padidas
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby finers » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:45 am

Sounds Good, i think im getting ripped by Quinn, im 22 and got insurd on FTO at 21, only way i managed to get a quote was off Quinn was to go as named driver under my dads policy as he has company transport.

Quinn are charging for the insurance 1300 i think, i myself have about four years no claims as named driver and my dad well has the maximum.

Now in fairness i was doing exams when renewal was up so he looked around but you said Hibernian quoted you? said they wouldnt even insure my father on a FTO!!! w/o having a previous policy with them, he's 58 with no claim!! WTF!!.

Would love to know if anyone got cheaper quotes then then 1300
under circumstances like this??

Padidas did you have a previous policy with Hibernian?
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby padidas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Nope, never had before, it'd be worth your while calling them up, I did it just out of pure curiousity, was expecting a higher quote from them to be honest, but i'm too paranoid of Quinn after hearing that 2 people I know my age who had crashes, then asked Quinn to pay out, they were refused.

Quinn will literally try anything to make money, they told one of them that his "particular Nissan Sylvia, Type S" is a model they don't insure?? even though over the phone he made a point to tell them.

I got a quote with Quinn Easily enough online? have you tried the online system?

I had never dealt with Hibernian before, but i've heard they're excellent things about them, and their customer care is supposed to be next to none.
padidas
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby d_dan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:36 pm

tryhybernian there insuring me no bother
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:21 am

Hmm...

I would've tried them only for this in their assumptions list:

-Is not a car vanette, kit car, sports car, convertible, GTI, VTEC or high performance vehicle

They wouldn't insure me on a 1.6 Toyota MR2 because it was "high-performance" (125BHP, 0-60 in 7.7 if you're lucky)

They might try screw you over on this if you go with them online, of course if you have the forms and they're all correct then you should be ok.

Will try them when its time to renew, mother has her car under hibernian also. Sounds like they've changed their tune if they're insuring dan on a turbo!
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby finers » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:53 am

padidas wrote:Nope, never had before, it'd be worth your while calling them up, I did it just out of pure curiousity, was expecting a higher quote from them to be honest, but i'm too paranoid of Quinn after hearing that 2 people I know my age who had crashes, then asked Quinn to pay out, they were refused.

Quinn will literally try anything to make money, they told one of them that his "particular Nissan Sylvia, Type S" is a model they don't insure?? even though over the phone he made a point to tell them.

I got a quote with Quinn Easily enough online? have you tried the online system?

I had never dealt with Hibernian before, but i've heard they're excellent things about them, and their customer care is supposed to be next to none.

My point is that they said they wouldnt even insure my father who has the maximum no claims and is in his late fifties, this is Hibernian im with Quinn at the moment,

So other people here including yourself got a quote from hibernian?
Said they don insure new customers on an fto??

If this is the case it sounds like the luck of the draw what person you get on the phone!! ridicious
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:57 am

finers wrote:Said they don insure new customers on an fto??

This is the key point here - a lot of companies won't insure the FTO under new business but will cover it if you've already got a policy with them on another model and you then change to an FTO.

That said, there is a lot of variance out there in terms of individual experience....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:40 am

In the interests of balance, and just to make sure that nobody thinks the sun shines out of Hibernians ass. I would like to highlight my last experiences with them here.

On a more recent note my old man is insured with Hibernian and had a minor tip there a while back. The length of time, incompetance and inconsistancy experienced while handling the quote was just shocking :evil: It has been my opinion for some years, formed through experience, that Hibernian are on a race to the bottom quinn direct/ryanair style. This is a pity as they were (some years ago) one of the friendly faces of insurance in this country :cry:
Last edited by Mustang on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:49 pm

Hibernian sure quoted me happy when I got the fto.. 5000e

that's five thousand they wanted..

went with eagle star for 1200e at the time..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:53 pm

Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby d_dan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:21 pm

im not insured as a turbo with hybernian
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Just rang Hibernian there for a quote.. said they won't insure the FTO on new policies.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby finers » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:22 pm

TopCat wrote:Just rang Hibernian there for a quote.. said they won't insure the FTO on new policies.

Yup thats exactly what they said to me Tom, padidas you got a quote from them did you previously have insurance with Hibernian?

So moral of the story, get a free piece of sh** insure it for a week with hibernian then get a quote on the FTO, haha im going to actually find out if this will work, they may have a minimum time you have to be with them.
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby padidas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

alright lads.

Nope never insured with them before.. literally I started with AXA (I think it was) when I was a named driver for three years, and now Quinn for the last two on my own policy...

They never said anything about not insuring the FTO? and they seemed happy enough to quote me on my next car - 1996 MR2 turbo?

It must just be that i'm literally the basic of what type of preson they want to insure, they wouldnt quote me with less than 3 years on anything more than a 1.6, but when i mentioned that the 2 years i'll have in June with Quinn, wasnt my only driving experience, they counted the other three years aswell, which WELL put me over the 3 years rule they have...

I'm going to shop around now too, and see who else will insure me taking into account BOTH the named driving experience aswell as the two years on my own policy...
padidas
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to Motor Insurance