Im gonna get killed for asking this one

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Im gonna get killed for asking this one

Postby Dean » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:15 pm

GR or GPX?

Manual GR or Tip GPX.

Hmmm....

If it is the new car route, I am a little unsure whether I should go for a manual GR, or the apparently more smooth ride of the GPX.

I mean.... the GR I am looking at is a manual, but the GPX is a MIVEC.

Mmmmm.
Dean
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Viper » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:07 pm

Does anybody in the history of the Earth have a preference for autos?? :twisted:
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: Im gonna get killed for asking this one

Postby soc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:17 pm

Dean wrote:GR or GPX?

Manual GR or Tip GPX.

Hmmm....

If it is the new car route, I am a little unsure whether I should go for a manual GR, or the apparently more smooth ride of the GPX.

I mean.... the GR I am looking at is a manual, but the GPX is a MIVEC.

Mmmmm.

hehe, shameless plug here....... I might be selling my GR at a very reasonable price around July :wink:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:57 pm

personally i would go manual, there are always the debates on the english forums that the manual GR's are just as quick as the tip GPX.... plus there's less chance of the gearbox packing it in.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:44 pm

Go manual and get the best GR or GPX that you can, obviously a GPX would be preferable, but if you come across a well looked after GR, don't pass it up because its lacking MIVEC, as great as the MIVEC roar is, its not the end of the world if you don't have it.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:53 am

CJ wrote:Go manual

but mines a tip :D - seriously though, if you are prepared to wait I'd also go for a manual. Just remember - if you get bored waiting, mine might be coming on the market in July..... heh :oops:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:56 am

shane wrote: if you are prepared to wait I'd also go for a manual. :

Or (as shane just reads entire post) if you've already found a nice manual GR then that's the one I'd go for!!!!

The diff 20bhp makes wouldn't really be that noticeable in the real world especially as it's all at the top end - I'd say you would notice a much bigger difference between a manual and tip car.... just ask Daz - he has both!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

bla

Postby mark » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:27 pm

Well I drove loads of GPXs' as I was hell bent on getting one,Wouldn't even look at GRs but then I came across a manual GR and jesus just had to buy it.A GR has faster low down acceleration that a GPX because Mivec is for higher- end speed. I've also been told that you can chip a GR and get around another 20 to 30bhp. Now, all of a sudden your hitting around 200bhp,if you stick an induction kit and good exhaust system on then i'd easily get 220 on mine,i'm checking all this out at the moment but have been told by some pretty reliable sources.
Most GRs have lower mileage etc as they're less sought after. I have absolutely no regrets about getting a GR!
I bet your confused now!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: bla

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:45 pm

mark wrote:A GR has faster low down acceleration that a GPX because Mivec is for higher- end speed. I've also been told that you can chip a GR and get around another 20 to 30bhp

Gotta disagree with you there Mark, the GR will match a GPX up to about 90MPH, its only then that the MIVEC starts making a difference. I'd be interested in finding a chip that can liberate an extra 20-30bhp on any FTO, AFAIK, the Mines ROM is probably the best you can get (and the most expensive - ~€1k) and it will do well to add an extra 10bhp. The FTO's V6 engine is very highly tuned in its original state so you would need to spend a bucket of cash on either NOS or a custom turbo\supercharger conversion for any serious gains.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:51 pm

CJ wrote:The FTO's V6 engine is very highly tuned in its original state so you would need to spend a bucket of cash on either NOS or a custom turbo\supercharger conversion for any serious gains.

Ciaran

I'm in agreement with Ciaran here - anything I've read would suggest that hte V6 is very hard to tune as it comes from the factory so highly tuned. In fact the aussies would say that the 1.8 is much better for tuning and you can get good gains very easily.

One option for better acceleration could be a lighter flywheel (on a manual obviously) outside of that you're not gonna see much difference unless you go the NOS or turbo route..... at that stage you might as well buy an impreza (at least that's what I plan.... :twisted:)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:34 pm

Well all i can say is that the FTO v6 engine is proving very difficult to improve upon as they had it the best they could coming out of the factory, this point is illustrated in this months jap performance mag, where a company tried to tune up the engine and couldn't do it so slapped a turbo into it and this package when all the bugs are ironed out and has proved itself to be reliable will become available.

Daz...

PS. that package is for a GR v6
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby soc » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:25 am

Daz wrote: jap performance mag,

can't find that mag anywhere - where you get it?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:36 am

shane wrote:can't find that mag anywhere - where you get it?

I'm assuming Daz is talking about the December edition that had an article about the Calder car in the UK. Theres been threads on SG for about a year on this car, they imported it turbo'ed but keep getting the car featured in magazines all the while taking credit for the turbo work.
From what people are saying, it appears to be a dodgey job as well.

On that note, if you haven't read the Turbo FTO articles on the Downloads page, they're well worth a look.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:53 pm

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:can't find that mag anywhere - where you get it?

I'm assuming Daz is talking about the December edition that had an article about the Calder car in the UK. Theres been threads on SG for about a year on this car, they imported it turbo'ed but keep getting the car featured in magazines all the while taking credit for the turbo work.
From what people are saying, it appears to be a dodgey job as well.

On that note, if you haven't read the Turbo FTO articles on the Downloads page, they're well worth a look.

Ciaran

Aye that was the one, i didn't realise they brought it in like that??

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Dean » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:18 pm

What I really want is my Falcon back.
http://www.fordracing.ford.com.au/content/ba_racecar/default.asp

Ok, so mine wasnt as done up, and it was a 1996, and 4litre V6 instead of 5 litre V8, but you get the gist of it :)
Anyone know if anyone has gone as far as to import any of these babies?
(Beleive it or not, I payed only $900AUS for fully comp on one of these)
Shows how much of a rip-off the irish market is eh. 8)
Dean

Postby soc » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:17 am

Dean wrote:What I really want is my Falcon back.

Ok, so mine wasnt as done up, and it was a 1996, and 4litre V6 instead of 5 litre V8, but you get the gist of it :)

Tax on a 4lt is €1300
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dean » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:26 am

shane wrote:
Dean wrote:What I really want is my Falcon back.

Tax on a 4lt is €1300

:shock:
Dean

Return to General FTO Discussion