De-Cat Pipe

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

De-Cat Pipe

Postby Dave1971 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:51 am

My FTO was registered before May 1995, I have read that the car does not require a catalyst converter. So if i put a de-cat pipe on my motor will it pass its next mot or will I have to put the catalyst converter on for the mot again.
Dave1971
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: De-Cat Pipe

Postby White_Beast » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 pm

I know this is an old post but it's a useful topic to discuss if anyone knows the current "laws".

There are a lot of myths and grey areas surrounding the CAT / de-CAT. I "THINK" what you are saying about vehicles pre May 1995 not needing a CAT is from a manufacturers point of view. i.e after May 1995 manufacturers had to have a CAT fitted to their vehicles by law. However, i think if the vehicle is factory fitted with a CAT, it has to have it present for it's MOT even if it's pre May 1995.

Another grey area is being a JDM car, all FTO's are imports. At one time, imports wern't on UK MOT lists so they all had to be tested as de-CATS regardless. My FTO has passed previously with the de-CAT fitted. It has also failed with it. I think it depends where you take it. The times it's failed is when they test my car as a V6 Gallant because this is the closest engine to the FTO on a UK car. This really annoys me! Especially as once i had trouble taxing my car as the lady at the counter says the MOT and insurance documents don't match as one says FTO, the other Gallant :x

Best thing to do is say it's pre May 1995 and an import, then ask the garage how they'll test it. They're probably all different because they're not 100% sure them selves what's right and what's wrong.
1994 Mitubishi FTO GR owner 05 / April / 2005 to 06 / October / 2013
White_Beast
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: De-Cat Pipe

Postby Bernard » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Irish regulations for the NCT are probably different, handy info for UK/NI owners though...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to NCT \ MOT