The ultimate fuel economy test.

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

The ultimate fuel economy test.

Postby brccrx » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 am

Its about 2 months since ive map the car and ive changed the map 4 times and ive been also working on either performance and fuel economy sides of it time to come to share some progress.

Yesterday i fill up the car with 12.59l of petrol

Added bit of dipethene:

And i headed for a nice relaxing easy driving spin :)
Only starting:

Small bit more done :)

The number lol

And finish!

Its good enough, probably one of best you will see on fto, but being honest i was hoping to break 200km mark :)

Ive drove motorways for about 40km, dual carriages for about 80, country roads about 40km and town/city roads only 20.

This movie shows the performance side of the map rev.4, however i also have 1.6 mivec rs non lsd gearbox and clutch flywheel fitted.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbJjMmoo7Y

This movie shows r.e.d. with 4.4 lsd gearbox, its also mapped but its only map rev.2

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R2FtudM2ir8
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Re: The ultimate fuel economy test.

Postby Mick ah » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:35 pm

When I saw this this morning I did a quick calculation. That's 40 mpg lads.

That's a serious improvement over a standard FTO and if you ask me, would actually make it a contender for a daily driver. Especially if fuel costs were your only consideration (and not say, fitting three kids into the back seats of your vehicle).

Mick
Mick ah
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby brccrx » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Yeah about that Mick, im very, very happy with the result but i was trying to break 200km, that was my real goal, also there was very little town/city driving tho.

I'll try to break this record next year, when winter is over as the car is of the road for the next 6 months.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:19 am

I will be asking you to do the same conversion and map on my own FTO Seb. Great result. I'll see what ECU I have in mine when I get it back. Hopefully it's a plastic case.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:43 am

Lads, what would you get out of 20e at current petrol prices, im asking rather about extra urban than city driving.
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:21 pm

about 10miles :lol: need to get a carbon fiber right foot.really need to get that neo mapped,that should see me get a few more than the 24mpg i usually get.ill see what im doing to 20 next fill.
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ebrewer89 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:50 pm

It seems my mpg is slightly worse than suspected :shock: after driving 130km on 20euro at 1.26 per l it apears my mpg is around 19 and not the 23 suspected.this was done driving very carefully for the first 90 as I had a cake onboard :cry: and then some more gentle ish driving.I may need to change plugs soon I think.and get the neo mapped as this is a little ridiculous
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:19 am

Just to add my stats here. I get about 600km per 50litres or 34mpg. Stock GPvR. I service the car very regularly (5k tops) and use FS oil, and the IK22 denso iridiums are changed every 75k, put in a new Fuel filter not too long ago too, gear box oil last year too, and timing belt on its second change, with tensioner etc, (in other words, I try and give the cars economy every mechanical advantage). I think anyone can degrade or improve their fuel economy by =/- 10% with driving style. I see lads racing past me on th mototway only to have to slam on the brakes and slow down behind the car in front. Complete watse of fuel, zero road gained, and I cruise by at the same rpm in 5th.
I'd say 75% of my driving is 5th gear motorway 100kph, although to be fair, that's sometimes as bad as town driving between 8am and 9am with all the starting and stopping on a 3 lane motorway & 1st and 2nd gear for 10s of km etc. zzz. Try to leave before 8am some days to get a nice 5th gear straight run. anyway, it's still a good figure I reckon. Car empty obviously and just me in it 1190kg (according to NCT weight).
I also don't drive the car like I used to. (cruising around balbriggan up and down the mainstreet and flooring it near built up areas, civics, integras, or tunnels, to hear that sweet mivec roar fitlered down the zigen. haha. Still, I do get her into mivec at least once or twice a day as traffic allows.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to General FTO Discussion