GPS tracker (constant power)

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

GPS tracker (constant power)

Postby goz_83 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 pm

I have a GPS tracker and will be installing in a secret location in the car. It comes with a usb charger cable, but most electrics in the car go dead when the ignition is off. Only the clock and alarm have a constant feed. I'm wondering which one is best to draw power from, to keep the GPS tracker active all the time. If there is another suggestion, I welcome it. Could I connect directly to the battery, or would this be unwise? The battery is exactly like a small phone, or camera battery. The unit would last several days without being charged, but I don't want to take any chances.

It's quite a sophisticated little unit and can send last signal coordinates directly to my phone. I just tested it, and it showed the unit at a location a few meters away from where the unit was and it gave the address across the street. This is very handy, because when my 318iSE was nicked, most people reckoned it was stored in an under ground car park. Speculation aside....with the GPS, it would have been found, in one piece, or in many.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: GPS tracker (constant power)

Postby optical illusion » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

That's cool, but are you sure if you hide it that it will be able to establish GPS signal?
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:11 pm

optical illusion wrote:That's cool, but are you sure if you hide it that it will be able to establish GPS signal?

Yes. It picks up a signal in my house no problem, so it can pick one up in the car.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 pm

I'd be inclined to use the permanent live going to the radio and mount it inside the passenger side dash above the glovebox.

there isn't an airbag there right?
colm_mcm

Postby holio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:34 pm

How does the unit work in relation to tracking it? Does it need a constant electrical supply or does it store the location in the unit when switched off. I.e. when you prompt it for a location will it only send you the location if the unit is being supplied with electricity or will it send the location regardless?
Just out of interest, how much?
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Mustang » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:19 am

Will it work in an under ground car park, my sat nav (similar technology I assume) always looses signal in those carparks
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:02 am

colm_mcm wrote:I'd be inclined to use the permanent live going to the radio and mount it inside the passenger side dash above the glovebox.

there isn't an airbag there right?

There is an airbag there. I've got a place in mind. It responds when you call it and gives last known location. It gives both gps and gsm signal and can send signal when car moves. It can also be phoned to listen to anything within earshot of the unit. To the best of my knowledge, the unit will send the location based on the last place it had a signal. I am not sure how the last known coordinates tracker works. It also has a mad SOS function that can be pressed, or can be set off automatically in the event of a collision. It can track speed and can alert also if it passes geographic perimeters set up. Although I think the tracker bit is all I will be using. Will just top the phone up by a fiver every few months. Do pay as you go sim cards get deactivated if not topped up for a while? If so, how long do you get per top up?

The unit cost just over €75 but I got vat removed from that price at the source 8)
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:46 pm

You have 12 months with a SIM AFAIK.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:16 pm

optical illusion wrote:You have 12 months with a SIM AFAIK.

€5 per year ain't bad then
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby holio » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Good going goz, do you care to share the location you bought it?
I was contemplating buying a similar set up in an alarm but was looking at a bill of over 1500euro not so long ago for my leggy vr4. Should of bought it cause a short time later the car done a magic act and disappeared with a puff never to be seen again.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:21 pm

holio wrote:Good going goz, do you care to share the location you bought it?
I was contemplating buying a similar set up in an alarm but was looking at a bill of over 1500euro not so long ago for my leggy vr4. Should of bought it cause a short time later the car done a magic act and disappeared with a puff never to be seen again.

pm sent
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gfalls » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:47 am

Can you PM me details from whence you obtained such an interesting prospect..!
Hugely obliged.. :smt003
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby goz_83 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Pm sent
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby d_dan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:36 am

me too. my FTO sits on a drive uninsured.
I have taken a number of steps to stop the car from being stolen but this is something iv been looking for.
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:52 pm

pm sent
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:44 pm

So, I have been testing and testing the gps tracker since I got it and I have the following to report on it.

The unit needs to have a view of the sky, like any sat nav, in order to properly track it. I didn't want to give the game away, but i tried the unit under the bonnet, behind the coolant and down at the grille. I tried it behind the centre console, just on top of the aircon hose. I also tried it below the tweeters, but on all occasions, the signal was unreliable. I decided to attach it to the back of the rear view mirror. Not only is it out of view, but it gets perfect signal. I guess it could be put on the rear screen, but it would be as discreet, unless it was put down low, near the speakers. I personally think the mirror is the best spot and it was there for a couple of days without anyone spotting it. A thief would unlikely spot it there either, it's hidden in plain sight.

The usb cable provided with the unit does not provide power. a 12V to 5V cable is needed and the seller on Ebay has these. I have just ordered one, he seems like a very helpful chap and recommend him. I will update this post when the unit is powered on a constant feed and is working 100%.

The link to where I bought is http://www.ebay.ie/itm/250976413783?ssP ... 1497.l2649

The link to the power cable is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MESE:IT
-mansion_2010 is the seller, just incase the links become inactive. Andy is the guy I was dealing with.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion