Insurance and the NCT...

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Insurance and the NCT...

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:57 am

Can insurers default your insurance if your NCT is out.
A friend of mine was asked to submit his NCT cert with his proposal form... I think this is just specific to his insurer. My insurer never asked for NCT and I didn't notice it in the small print...
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby johnny » Thu May 24, 2007 4:50 pm

yeah I had to fax a copy of my GSR's NCT cert to Hibernian.. they said they wouldnt insure me if I didnt...problem was the car was freshly imported... managed to reason with them after 20 mins of arguing...they insured me under the condition I sent in the cert within 2 months of the policy start date. They said its because its a high performance car...but i doubt id have to send in the cert if I was 50 years old and driving a ferrari.... :roll:

Then when I got the Levin BZR (GSR wrote off :oops: ) they didnt mention anything about an NCT (thank feck - fresh import too)...even though they did comment that, like the GSR, its a "high performance car".... :roll:
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:53 pm

gfalls wrote:If you have an accident and your NCT is out, most insurers will deem that you should not have been driving in the first place, and will probably invalidate your policy.

hmmm. so technically there are 100,000 cars on the road uninsured?
Nothing in my policy mentioned the NCT. Interesting one if it ends in court.
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri May 25, 2007 9:36 am

"Try it and see, but try not to hurt anyone else in the process" how humourless. :shock:
I think I have 12 months after the car was imported anyways to do it. So I'll look at it again at xmas maybe.
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:17 am

Ah.. I think I'll wait to be stopped like you were and tell them I'm waiting for instructions. :)
Did I tell you why I'm sour Gfalls? The family car was failed last year for "canvas" showing on one of the tyres. Canvas? On a modern tubeless steel wire enforced tyre. I thought it was a wind up. but no. I tired to tell the lad that canvas has not been used in tyres since he was a young lad. Anyway, conveniently enough there is a tyre place 2 doors away form the NCT centre... sweet eh? :twisted: passed the second time, he didn;t even check was the tyre replaced. I couldn;t wait to get back for my next NCT. :lol:
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dave » Fri May 25, 2007 1:00 pm

gfalls wrote:
mcgon1979 wrote:
gfalls wrote:If you have an accident and your NCT is out, most insurers will deem that you should not have been driving in the first place, and will probably invalidate your policy.

hmmm. so technically there are 100,000 cars on the road uninsured?
Nothing in my policy mentioned the NCT. Interesting one if it ends in court.

If you read the terms of your policy, it will say somewhere on it that you will keep the car in a roadworthy condition. The NCT is a piece of paper that proves your car is in a good condition (even though its only really good at the time of issue). The insurance company is not going to chase you to get a NCT for your car. They are happy to take your money on faith, but when you have an accident and can't provide the proof of roadworthyness, you'll find yourself in breach of the terms and conditions, ergo, not insured. Try it and see, but try not to hurt anybody in the process :D

Insurance companies are obliged to pay third parties regardless of whether or not your insurance is void, but they'll then sue your ass!!!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Motor Insurance