QD messing about

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

QD messing about

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:24 am

Just got my renewel in from good old Quinn Direct, last year, they quoted me €1004 FC, €799 with 2years NCB last year, this year they want €1137 FC and €1031 TPFT!?

I called them up and they made some excuse about insurance rates being higher at the moment and said there was no flexibility on the figures quoted.
Now I know I shouldn't be complaining as I'm paying a lot less than some people who have similar criteria to myself but in the current climate I can't understand how the quotes are that much more expensive this year especially when you consider I've another years NCB behind me.

As always, your opinions would be welcome.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: QD messing about

Postby soc » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:41 am

CJ wrote:Just got my renewel in from good old Quinn Direct, last year, they quoted me €1004 FC, €799 with 2years NCB last year, this year they want €1137 FC and €1031 TPFT!?

I called them up and they made some excuse about insurance rates being higher at the moment and said there was no flexibility on the figures quoted.
Now I know I shouldn't be complaining as I'm paying a lot less than some people who have similar criteria to myself but in the current climate I can't understand how the quotes are that much more expensive this year especially when you consider I've another years NCB behind me.

CJ

Personally I think they're talking crap... any excuse to push up the premiums. Surely with an extra years NCD and the fact that premiums have been dropping would be the worst that could happen is you pay the same as last year???
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:45 am

And you could always try what a guy I know did.....

He had all his cars insured with QD for years (mostly performance cars) and has a full NCD. He went to insure and Evo VI a couple of years back and then just refused. Then when he complained they gave him a completely rediculous quote. Now this guy is minted but he was really pissed off with their attitude so he went to the insurance ombudsman - long story short, he got insured with QD, fully comp, for €1200 .
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:13 pm

I know what you mean, I've had that with insurance companies for years, the 2nd year's has nearly always been higher than the previous years despite as you say a years more claim free driving, being older, car being worth a little less, etc. etc.

Up to the last year or two I've been changing most years, always shopped around and always saved loads of €€ from what the guys I was with quoted.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:28 pm

CJ wrote:Just got my renewel in from good old Quinn Direct, last year, they quoted me €1004 FC, €799 with 2years NCB last year, this year they want €1137 FC and €1031 TPFT!?

CJ

A friend on mine had a similar experience with QD recently. The renewal notice was circa €100 dearer than he had obtained as a new customer online. So he queried it and they said there was some issue transferring their data over to teh new database.. They had gotten the year of registration and some other details completely wrong. Something like mixing the cc of the car with the year of registration (this being a 1300cc car!). After a few phone calls back and forth they got it sorted, as it did appear to be a genuine mistake.
Unfortunately with the FTO you won't be able to get a comparative quote online :roll:
With the general inconsistency from insurance companies I'd suggest you just ring a couple of times until you get a different answer :wink:
Might be worth giving FBD a ring....the last quote I got from them seemed reasonable enough at ~€1500
Last edited by Mustang on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:46 pm

CJ

mine went up with qd this year too it went up €200 but still the cheapest at €960 fc

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby AL » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:27 am

id have to agree with the ombudsman approach, also try being an annoying bastard, get onto the spervisor in QD, i cant understand where they are coming from saying car insurance is high at the moment, this is nonsence.
but on the flip side, i reckon ur getting a good deal paying 1137 euro Fully comp with only 3 year NCB
AL
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Ivan E » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:20 pm

It's unfortunate because I don't think there is much you can do about it. Insuring mine under my wife's name, it comes in at €650. It came in this year again at the same price. There wasn't much I could do about it as that's by far the cheapest around really.

They actually reviewed it after and dropped it down to €550. I didn't realise this but they told me when I rang to pay it.

With my insurance on her car, I normally shop around to drop the quote. This year I was so pissed off trying to get a quote, a decent one, on the fto I just went and insured hers again. But instead of shopping around, I just asked was that the best they could do. With no other quotes, they dropped it by 150.

So I chanced my arm with the fto. She said that if I have a better quote, they would review it and then get back to me and see if they could do anything about it. But the 650 was by far the best quote out there (that's with me as a named driver btw) so when she said it was now 550 I was quite happy to go with that.

So I think you're in the same boat in that you won't get a better quote so you can't really haggle or shop around unfortunately.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:57 pm

Ivan E wrote:So I think you're in the same boat in that you won't get a better quote so you can't really haggle or shop around unfortunately.

I reckon thats the case alright, while I'm gonna call a few places, I doubt they'll come in near the QD price, we'll see how how it goes.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PT FTO » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:55 am

CJ wrote:
Ivan E wrote:So I think you're in the same boat in that you won't get a better quote so you can't really haggle or shop around unfortunately.

I reckon thats the case alright, while I'm gonna call a few places, I doubt they'll come in near the QD price, we'll see how how it goes.

CJ

CJ, check out Britton Insurance. They gave me the lowest quote by far and then I got AXA to match it. You can do the FTO quote online http://www.brittoninsurance.com/. At the end just tick the non imported box and it will give you a quote. Then phone them up and they will offer you the same price. Its just the site wont quote if the imported box is ticked.
mmmm!! GPX........and its not all mine anymore....:-(
PT FTO
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:55 am

PT FTO wrote:CJ, check out Britton Insurance

Paul, they came back with a quote of €934. Nice one! Hold on a minute, the quote is based on a €4000 excess!!! With an excess €350 (€100 above QD), they quoted me €1893 FC, its looking more likely that I'll have to renew with the dreaded Quinn, watch this space.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Motor Insurance