Track rod end nut torque

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Track rod end nut torque

Postby Superwofy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi guys, another torque question:

I will be replacing a split steering rack boot over the weekend and would like to know the correct torque for the nut that attaches the track rod end. I have the manual at hand and found the relevant page. Unlike other manuals I've seen before, many torque values are given in intervals. The driveshaft nut for example, is given as 196-255 N-m. That's a big interval.

Why are they given like this?
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Track rod end nut torque

Postby goz_83 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Either it's not that important, or it varies depending on the variant of fto. I vote for the former.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:32 pm

There is also page with "standard part/tightening-torque table" before the start of the engine section, so maybe go with that or pick some value in between and make a note of it. :wink:

I'll need to do the same job on my GX, the boots on the steering rack are split and so are the boots on the track rod ends and drop links, have just ordered the parts the other day.
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:37 am

Temeeo wrote:There is also page with "standard part/tightening-torque table" before the start of the engine section, so maybe go with that or pick some value in between and make a note of it. :wink:

I'll need to do the same job on my GX, the boots on the steering rack are split and so are the boots on the track rod ends and drop links, have just ordered the parts the other day.

What's Been done with the gpx?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:32 pm

What's Been done with the gpx?

Still sitting in my driveway, have only taken small bits out of it so far (or to be exact swap them)

Wouldn't be really taking things like the track rod ends and droplinks out of it as I consider them to be "consumables" - if I go down the road of replacing them and then get the wheel alignment done I might as well use new ones.
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to FTO Technical