insuranse prob please HELP!!!

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

insuranse prob please HELP!!!

Postby 998cc-keith » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:39 pm

basicly my i was insured last year with them on a bmw 318is and i sold de day before insuranse was out so never rang them to cancel or anything so i buy fto ring them get insuranse everything great untill today when thry rang sayin i owe the money for bmw insuranse and i was like i dont have a bmw no more and they said well ya never canceled and we automaticly reinsure a car unless told other wise so they want me to pay for something i never asked for i got insranse last year and as far as i was concerned when it was finished it was finished feck wankers they want €256 for something i never asked for

wat should i do
998cc-keith
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:54 pm

Nah thats crap I'd say. Anytime my insurance was up with company or broker they send out a renewal form, if you dont send it back your policy is cancelled, simple as.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:05 am

how do you get insurance for €256?
colm_mcm

Postby 998cc-keith » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:09 am

it is how much they have worked out from then till now
998cc-keith
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:21 am

ah, I see. Can't see how you'd have to pay for this.
colm_mcm

Postby 998cc-keith » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:22 am

if i dnt they will cancel fto
998cc-keith
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:37 am

this through a broker? I wonder was your insurance on the FTO lower because they saw it as a second car?

It just doesn't add up. they sent you a letter looking for the premium for the period between when your policy expired and now. why aren't they looking for the full amount? do you pay by the month? is this one months installment?
colm_mcm

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:38 am

Dragonheart wrote:Nah thats crap I'd say. Anytime my insurance was up with company or broker they send out a renewal form, if you dont send it back your policy is cancelled, simple as.

Actually with my past two insurers they send out a renewal form and it says "If all details are correct you do not need to do anything and we will automatically renew your policy. If you wish to cancel please return this letter or call us quoting your policy number"

I'm sure the insurance cpmpany can just write off the 256euro and backdate it so the bmw insurance ended on the date of renewal last. should not be a big deal if there were no claims on the policy.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Marie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 am

Quinn usually just renew your insurance when you pay monthly by direct debit, is that who you insure with?
When you're good, you're good....... but when you're great you're ME
Marie
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:23 pm

I'd Mention that you'd be happy to discuss this with the Ombudsman.. surely they can't assume that you want to renew the policy for the BMW...
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby TopCat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:43 pm

I sadly have to agree that generally renewal letters tend to be be along the lines of "if all the above information is correct and you are happy with the quote (at which point you laugh), you do not need to reply and your insurance is automatically renewed". So I'm not too surprised they have said this.

That being said... I'd still follow it up, and do threaten to talk to the ombudsman. €256 isn't a lot of money to a company like this, but to an individual it is.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby sinlessgunner » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:20 pm

They can take the line though that "oh well the car was still insured as we weren't told otherwise" even though it doesn't matter because realistically you arent costing them any money at all unless a claim is made against you. It's just legalities but your best call is definitly to contact the Ombudsman. Officially the car was insured but just play the "I didn't understand" card and see how you get on.
sinlessgunner
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:54 pm

mcgon1979 wrote:
Dragonheart wrote:Nah thats crap I'd say. Anytime my insurance was up with company or broker they send out a renewal form, if you dont send it back your policy is cancelled, simple as.

Actually with my past two insurers they send out a renewal form and it says "If all details are correct you do not need to do anything and we will automatically renew your policy. If you wish to cancel please return this letter or call us quoting your policy number"

Really? Wow, didnt know that, better make sure in future!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Motor Insurance