6a13tt into fto issues

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

6a13tt into fto issues

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:45 am

As some of you know (a few more than others) I've been giving this some very serious thought many times over. Going as far as actually getting the Legnum, warts and all. However now it's time to actually get the extra bits that I need for the conversion.

I know there's a few people on here in the process of doing the "job" and this is mainly for them.

1. What's the hold up? I can think of 3 conversions that we're started but the curiously went away.. No more information was forthcoming.
2. Exhaust - Looking at Richard Battys build pictures I see what appares to be a complete custom set of headers & pressumably downpipes as well. Is there a clearance /fitment issue here?
3. Flywheel/Clutch Fitment/Gear box
I'm thinkign the Flywheel is dictated by the block.. so a lightened 6a12 flywheel on the 6a13tt block would be no good (caps was checked - thanks cj), has anybody come across a lightened flywheel for the 6a13tt unit? (I've checked rpw but cant seem to find anything)
Clutch wise what is the general consensus - I currently have a good clutch in, but I figure that I might as well get a new beefier one fitted seeing as the whole thing is going to be taken apart anyways.
Gearbox - I was going to stick with the Manual gpx box, seeing as mine seems strong as doesn't have any issues - anybody know of a particular reason why this could be a bad idea?
4. Last but not least - have you any thoughts about keeping the car on the road post conversion? Insurance, NCT/MOT concerns (emissions) otherwise.

Any feedback is appreciated..

oh and Shane.. sorry for bugging you prematurely - getting ready for this takes longer than I'd anticipated.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Re: 6a13tt into fto issues

Postby CJ » Tue May 25, 2010 1:56 pm

In case you've forgotten about this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7426

I would suggest you try and get in touch with ftorex for advise.

ClubVR4 is a good resource, I seem to remember some of the http://www.ftowa.com forum members undertaking a 6A12TT conversion.

Theres no easy way around it - lots of research required!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:00 pm

ta cj - Just pinged ftorex there..hope he's around..

..done a fair bit of reading already...it's just the "last bits" *cough*

I want to be sure I'm as ready as I can be..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Dragonheart » Tue May 25, 2010 6:44 pm

A few lads on ftoaustralia have done it, think the moderator is one, and I met guy over in NZ, ftevolution was his name, he had it done too. They have a few threads on it as far as I know.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby bigbear21 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:46 pm

hi,

sorry i am a newbie on this club so any help would be fantastic.

i am looking at putting a 6a13tt into my fto as my bottom ends are knocking :( and leaking oil.

now for this change i have a friend who has the tools, insurance sorted and a vehicle with everthing with 61,000 miles on the clock.

ok my fto is 1996 N reg GPX mivec four speed auto.

my questions????

1. would i have everything i would need on the swap?

2. could i use my auto four speed gearbox?

3. how many hours would this take? ruff figure

4. what welding would i need to do for the intercooler?

5. engine mounts same as the fto ?

6. i can get a engine for far cheaper but could i use the air con, alternator etc? from the fto ?

sorry for all the questions but reasearch only gets you so far.

many thanks

Tim
bigbear21
1st gear
1st gear

Return to Japanese Performance