How long would you expect gpx engine to last??

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

How long would you expect gpx engine to last??

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Got the lights up on my clocks today as car nearly wired up now clocks say 230000 kmhs which is 143000 miles bascially is that alot on the v6 mivec engine or will i have many years of fun before i have to worry ? Whats the highest miles a gpx has seening in yere opionon
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: How long would you expect gpx engine to last??

Postby StewyD32 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Mine is a couple of K off your mark and mine is perfect, never had a problem.
To be honest there is no real answer to your question, its basically down to how well maintained and taken care off the car is.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:56 pm

StewyD32 wrote:Mine is a couple of K off your mark and mine is perfect, never had a problem.
To be honest there is no real answer to your question, its basically down to how well maintained and taken care off the car is.

yes very true but you call 143000 miles very High milage ??
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:53 pm

A compression test on the cylinders would probably be a good way to estimate how much is left in that engine. TBH I've yet to hear of an FTO mivec engine letting go without a good reason (oil starvation/timing failure etc). I reckon you could double that mileage if regularly serviced and in any case you'd pickup a 2nd hand mivec for reasonable money.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:43 pm

:whs

Service the car on a regular basis and you will get AT LEAST double that milage without a MAjor problem engine wise .
I've seen FTO's with much more miles than yours in perfect condition regarding engine/power .
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Well thats good to no considering it be a car for sundays or trackdays and stuff it wont be puting up alot milage each week . Timing belt was just done out of car as it will be impossible to do in the colt.
How much would you buy gpx engine for these days just bare engine ?
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby StewyD32 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:20 pm

€250-€350
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:26 pm

wow thats cheap . Just relised my 1.3 corolla has 150000 miles on a 1.3 engine so 2litre block should be doubling that at least
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:10 pm

V6 Mivec Colt wrote:wow thats cheap . Just relised my 1.3 corolla has 150000 miles on a 1.3 engine so 2litre block should be doubling that at least

Em! - wouldn't think thats quite how it works tbh. Really depends upon the design of individual engines (block/cylinders/valves etc) and how the engine handles stress. A lowly stressed 1.3 engine could well outlive a high revving highly tuned 2.0litre engine.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:21 pm

True but the 1.3 gets alot of stress and still perfect and gpx engine got no stress expect for jason who drove it for a week before we striped it :D but ya i no what you mean
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby holio » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:00 pm

I used to have a 95 toyota corolla 1.3 turbo (previous owner addition) with a rediculous 3 speed auto box. Car looked like a piece of s51t with badly faded paint, 2 broken windows and 3 steel rims with 1 alloy. Had the car 2 years and in that time i opened th bonnet twice. Once to replace battery and once to verify it actually had a turbo. That car was abused everyday i had it, high reving on cold starts. Eventually i was rear ended on m50 by a 7series and sandwhiched up against a nissan primera. Car was destroyed, the boot ended up in the back seat. Front of the car caved in along with burst radiator.
The car still got me home, not an ounce of water in it.
Those things are bullet proof.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:00 pm

It's all relative..

If there's been no maintenance done on the engine then...wowzers that's big miles..
If it's been looked after and minded, then it's business as usual.

As was already mentioned here - do a compression test...and if you have any concerns get it rebuilt..

The engine should go for as long as it's maintained..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby asti rs » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:58 pm

8 years of racin 4 with a 80 shot of nos haha :P
asti rs
Octane king
Octane king

Postby richardc9052 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:19 pm

holio wrote:I used to have a 95 toyota corolla 1.3 turbo (previous owner addition) with a rediculous 3 speed auto box. Car looked like a piece of s51t with badly faded paint, 2 broken windows and 3 steel rims with 1 alloy. Had the car 2 years and in that time i opened th bonnet twice. Once to replace battery and once to verify it actually had a turbo. That car was abused everyday i had it, high reving on cold starts. Eventually i was rear ended on m50 by a 7series and sandwhiched up against a nissan primera. Car was destroyed, the boot ended up in the back seat. Front of the car caved in along with burst radiator.
The car still got me home, not an ounce of water in it.
Those things are bullet proof.

Was this a saloon or a hatch? any pics of it?
Cos they are "GORGEOUS" - StewyD32
richardc9052
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby holio » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:05 pm

richardc9052 wrote:

Dont have any pictures of it on its own but heres some where it was caught in the background/side of pictures i was taking of other cars.
[img]
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/tmp1135.jpg/[/img]

[img]
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/tmp3611q.jpg/[/img]

*EDIT*
Fully aware the first picture shows c**p all of the corolla, thought it might show the differences in paint but it doesn't.
I had a picture of it after the crash but can't find it, I'd eventually find it if i trawled through all the pictures on the computer but.......

*EDIT again*
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
That Legnum is the one that was robbed and never found. The wheels are fairly distinctive, if anyone knows anything I'd greatly appreciate any info.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby richardc9052 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:36 am

holio wrote:
richardc9052 wrote:

Dont have any pictures of it on its own but heres some where it was caught in the background/side of pictures i was taking of other cars.
[img]
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/tmp1135.jpg/[/img]

[img]
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/tmp3611q.jpg/[/img]

*EDIT*
Fully aware the first picture shows c**p all of the corolla, thought it might show the differences in paint but it doesn't.
I had a picture of it after the crash but can't find it, I'd eventually find it if i trawled through all the pictures on the computer but.......

*EDIT again*
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
That Legnum is the one that was robbed and never found. The wheels are fairly distinctive, if anyone knows anything I'd greatly appreciate any info.

Any pics of the engine bay?

i dont get how you managed to go 2 years without topping up oil or water? especially if it was running a 4efte? what was the boost like?
Im doing a turbo conversion to my saloon corolla at the moment and im just wondering what kind of power it has over the standard 1.3 in a saloon because as far as im aware only the older ae92 corolla saloons have been converted to turbo in ireland.. ive seen a few e10 hatch's turbo.. but not saloons so im ver interested to hear more about it..
Cos they are "GORGEOUS" - StewyD32
richardc9052
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby holio » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:59 pm

Unfortunately i cant help you there. I had the car before i gained an interest in the how the internal combustion engine worked. Having driven a friends friends corolla a year or 2 later (his was same model, engine and year just with a manual gearbox) the power in mine was up but not by a huge amount. I cant remember but id say it was hitting 60 in around the 7second mark, give or take.
I dunno how it ran for so long without the slightest bit of maintenance, just testimony to how strong little toyota engines were back then. It was completely original on the inside as it was to the outside, nothing changed at all, even had original tape deck stereo.
Drank petrol for a 1.3. Th freelander i had after it was more economical.
I didnt buy the car, was given it when a brothers mate emigratted to America. He woke up late for his flight and couldnt wait for taxi so he drove it and left it in short term parking in airport. Then posted the keys back to my brother. Just had to pay for short term parking to become owner of it.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to General FTO Discussion