GTO - €288 yearly road tax

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

GTO - €288 yearly road tax

Postby CJ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Yes, really:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1488015

Would you consider a similar FTO conversion?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GTO - €288 yearly road tax

Postby optical illusion » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Nice car but he is getting rid of it for a reason, new law will put and end to all that.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:14 am

Not sure anything will change Laura. There are too many ordinary folk driving corolla vans and pajeros for them to change anything.
As long as people can tax commercials everything
will continue as usual.

Insurance isn't an issue. A cmpromise will be made, effectively nothing will change.
colm_mcm

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:23 am

Also, I may as well add I drove a 2.8 pajero commercial as a car taxed commercial. Driving a gto as a commercial is no worse. The cc based tax system is a joke as is the co2 based system.

I pay 650 a year tax on the Toyota eventless, the tax on my other halfs micra is 170 and my car is as economical.
colm_mcm

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:26 am

The lads in work were on about this law, they have their vans insured as 'work vehicles', and if they get stopped after work hours they can get done for not having them properly insured. Thing is, the last couple of months things have been hectic in there, so everyone is working till 8 every night and all day saturday and sunday, which is technically outside of standard working hours, but they're still working at the end of the day. I reckon if you throw a few tools or something in the back to stay there, (nothing too expensive), then nothing can be said to you.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:00 pm

About that law..

I live in thew stickiest of sticks.. and close to the border at that..

there's a marked increase in the number of Customs checkpoints ...

I've seen 3 this year,.. 2 since the introduction of the new law..
3 is also the total of customs check points I have seen since moving out there..so yeah..

When I was on the aul yeller plates miself I wasn't shy of doing u turns, 3 points, and the odd sudden turn down a side road.. that's all I'm saying..and that might even have been too much.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:43 pm

If i thought I'd get away with it in the Zed then I would - it doesn't even have back seats - just a load space so there'd be nothing to change - however I'm absolutely sure the first customs officer I come accross would have a major problem with a 350Z driver claiming to be driving a commercial vehicle. Road tax would drop from €1566 to €288 though so it may be a chance worth taking.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Like I said, throw a bag of cheap tools in the 'loading area' of your Zed (ie behind your seat!) and then tell 'em you're off to a job with your work 'van'. You'd get 5 years tax for the price of one year if its possible.
Next they'll be looking for you to produce a C2 cert when stopped, to show you're a contractor.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Dragonheart wrote:Like I said, throw a bag of cheap tools in the 'loading area' of your Zed (ie behind your seat!) and then tell 'em you're off to a job with your work 'van'. You'd get 5 years tax for the price of one year if its possible.
Next they'll be looking for you to produce a C2 cert when stopped, to show you're a contractor.

It will not be as easy as that, they will ask for proof. They are wise that people will be up to this.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:50 pm

What more proof do you need than a bag of tools in the back? :wink:

I use mine for work purposes too and have often had a load of gear in there.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby stonchy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 pm

when your taxin a commercial vehicle you have to have a VAT number to prove its a work vehicle or the tax office wont tax it.
thats how they can catch you now.
BOOOM head shot
stonchy
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:40 pm

My dad's work van is commercial and he doesnt need a VAT number. Besides, you cant get a VAT number unless you have your own business, the run of the mill guys working on sites wont have VAT numbers as they are hired by a company so they cant enforce that.
The reason they're bringing in the law in the first place is to cut out people in their massive jeeps with full passenger seats and a flatbed at the back who dont need them, ie, people dropping their kids to school. Its a common problem driving through cities that outside schools is packed with these vehicles every morning and evening and causing mayhem cause most people using them cant drive them or cant park them, not out to offend anyone but its a simple fact. If you're a construction worker or someone who actually uses this type of vehicle in a day to day job, then you actually need it to transport stuff or to put dirty tools, materials, large planks of timber, furniture units, cement, mixers, whatever.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:If i thought I'd get away with it in the Zed then I would - it doesn't even have back seats - just a load space so there'd be nothing to change - however I'm absolutely sure the first customs officer I come accross would have a major problem with a 350Z driver claiming to be driving a commercial vehicle. Road tax would drop from €1566 to €288 though so it may be a chance worth taking.

In that bases, whats to stop any 2 seater claiming commercial status? Surely it takes more than only having 2 seats to qualify? I wouldn't have as much to save, but would still be great.

stonchy wrote:when your taxin a commercial vehicle you have to have a VAT number to prove its a work vehicle or the tax office wont tax it.
thats how they can catch you now.

Even if this was a requirement, it'd be easily enough sorted me thinks?
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 pm

TopCat wrote:........
In that bases, whats to stop any 2 seater claiming commercial status? Surely it takes more than only having 2 seats to qualify? I wouldn't have as much to save, but would still be great......................

The load area of the car must exceed the area of the rest of the car AFAIK - so for instance an MR2/MX5/S2000 etc wouldn't qualify. A Supra, GTO or 350Z (& I presume an FTO without rear seats) would.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby stonchy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Dragonheart wrote:My dad's work van is commercial and he doesnt need a VAT number. Besides, you cant get a VAT number unless you have your own business, the run of the mill guys working on sites wont have VAT numbers as they are hired by a company so they cant enforce that.
The reason they're bringing in the law in the first place is to cut out people in their massive jeeps with full passenger seats and a flatbed at the back who dont need them, ie, people dropping their kids to school. Its a common problem driving through cities that outside schools is packed with these vehicles every morning and evening and causing mayhem cause most people using them cant drive them or cant park them, not out to offend anyone but its a simple fact. If you're a construction worker or someone who actually uses this type of vehicle in a day to day job, then you actually need it to transport stuff or to put dirty tools, materials, large planks of timber, furniture units, cement, mixers, whatever.

i was told by someone i work with that her boyfriend went tax office and they told him they wouldn tax his jeep cos he didn have a vat number.
so i dont know to be honest with ye
BOOOM head shot
stonchy
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Maybe he he was trying to tax it under a company or something, the ordinary person trying to tax their own vehicle doesnt need a VAT number definately, to get a VAT number you need to set up a company and do a lot of paperwork and pay a lot of fees.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby stonchy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:32 am

Dragonheart wrote:Maybe he he was trying to tax it under a company or something, the ordinary person trying to tax their own vehicle doesnt need a VAT number definately, to get a VAT number you need to set up a company and do a lot of paperwork and pay a lot of fees.

i see i see.
BOOOM head shot
stonchy
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to Japanese Performance