FTO at Hillside car spray

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

FTO at Hillside car spray

Postby Chris_Heilong » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 am

Just sent the car to Hillside car spray in Finglas for the boot lid respray, he will do the job for me for €150. Heres the interesting bit. When I arrived I saw a Silver 95 manual GPX there in a sorry state. From talking to the guy his story is; The car was owned by a very wealthy man who bought it back in 97, it was rear ended(why is the FTO a rear end magnet, so fast I have heard of 4 people that have had theirs rear ended) and the paint work was dull as it had been in a shed for the last 10 years, basically the rich guy said he wants his car looking brand new and does not care about the cost, so the guy in Hillside is going to turn it into a project car for his website, good choice, The engine was in great condition and had only 35k on the clock.

I will ask him about discounts for the club when I collect the car.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: FTO at Hillside car spray

Postby Sebastian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:27 pm

sounds familliar.
Spotted a 95 silver FTO in Terenure in front of a big house for a few years . good smack at the back of it . Tiptronic GR
it's gone now for a while , might be the same one . I even have a pic of the yoke somewhere . I left my number several times on the windscreen but never got any calls . Wanted tu buy the car for parts . There were an E Class and a triumph also there...
I'll look for that pic now
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Why is it that only idiots have money and blow it on sh*t. For the price it would cost to fix it if all all, you could buy several FTOs
And don't get me wrong FTOs are great cars but if I was loaded I'd have something more higher end.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Sebastian wrote:sounds familliar.
Spotted a 95 silver FTO in Terenure in front of a big house for a few years . good smack at the back of it . Tiptronic GR
it's gone now for a while , might be the same one . I even have a pic of the yoke somewhere . I left my number several times on the windscreen but never got any calls . Wanted tu buy the car for parts . There were an E Class and a triumph also there...
I'll look for that pic now

I remember that car, knocked on that door a few times :lol:
colm_mcm

Postby Chris_Heilong » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:33 pm

This one was a manual 95 GPX.

THe smack on the back was really bad. Engine bay was the cleanest part. The car was totally original, not modified at all.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby optical illusion » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Would love to see the engine bay!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:01 pm

I will get a picture when I pick my car up Saturday morning if its still there.
Chris_Heilong

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:57 pm

I got the car back today, a really good job was done. I will get some photos up later, I also found the guys FTO project on Facebook and was surprised to see my car in one of the picures. Some 70 year old guy who owns a lot of pubs apparently owns the carhttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Hillside-Car-Spray/430597703659161?ref=ts I mentioned the club and we talked about things like refurbing wheels but he said it wasn't worth his time doing it as a business as the materials are expensive.
Chris_Heilong

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:22 pm

That rear damage is easily sorted, just needs a bit of a pull :-)
- Most of the rust looks like it's on parts I'd be replacing anyways, but some of it will definitely need some good tidying.. Seems like an irrational venture to me, but then..who needs rational when you can drive a sorted FTO that there's clearly some degree of emotional tie to..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby goz_83 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:16 am

There's nothing rational about owning and driving an FTO, especially when you consider the almost impossible nature of insuring them against the relative ease of insuring cars worth 10 times more and are several times more powerful. I totally understand the idea of pumping money into an FTO. Sure, you can pick one up for €500, but you won't feel pride driving it until its right. For me, it's not the resale value; it's the value I hold over my FTO and I would gladly spend thousands all over again to get it the way it is now.

On a side note, I put a new set of blue dust caps on today. I parked outside the office and when I returned, 2 caps were missing. I would have been pretty peed off, but they come in sets of 5 and this was my second set, so I had 2 spare. Tomorrow I will take pics if they're still on my wheels.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Looks like a lot of work alright. Will be good to keep an eye on the project though.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Forgot to show the results

He matched the color and buffed and cleaned the car. Good job for €150.
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Looks very nice Chris. very nice indeed. Maybe the beautiful ass on the fto is why people seem to rear end it so often.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:37 pm

goz_83 wrote:Looks very nice Chris. very nice indeed. Maybe the beautiful ass on the fto is why people seem to rear end it so often.

lol, I was thinking that was the reason alright, they get awe stricken and forget to brake.
Chris_Heilong

Return to General FTO Discussion