Fto Lancer Conversion Problems

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Fto Lancer Conversion Problems

Postby 01evolution » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:23 pm

hi,im in the middle of transplanting a 6a12 mivec into a 98 lancer,ive converted it to a manual using a manual fto harness and ecu,the engines in and thanks to your downloads page most of the wiring is done,unfortunatly it wont start.its getting fuel but theres no power going to the injectors and most of the other connectors on the engine,the ignition coils have power but no spark,i think the problem is j/c 1,the block connector with all red wires beside the ecu connectors,there doesnt seem to be any power going to it,i tried connecting +12v and all of the injectors plus other connections all had power but it seems to have fried the solenoid on the starter,luckily i have a spare but i dont want to connect power again only for the same thing to happen again,any help would be well appreciated as i fear im starting to lose my mind,
thanks,
stan
01evolution

Re: Fto Lancer Conversion Problems

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:49 am

Sounds like an interested project stan, did the engine fit without much trouble? Which gearbox did you use?

Electrical problems of this nature are difficult to diagnose and can be time consuming. I suggest you start with checking continuity between the relevant wiring engine side and the ECU to ensure some wiring hasn't been damaged during the conversion.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dilogoat86 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:30 pm

As CJ said recommend to run a continuity check. All it takes is for one earth wire on one harness to cause massive headaches.
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:34 pm

I'd be contacting tintin on this forum, he did an FTO conversion into a Colt

Also check the connections in the fuel tank, Something similar happened to the FiesTO. the FTO has a cut off for the ignition and fuel pump if it senses the fuel level is too low. if this sensor isn't connected you won't get anything working in the engine, If you're still using the Lancer fuel pump or sender, this may be the problem.
colm_mcm

Postby steelroe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Ignition Failure sensor maybe
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Aido C » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:34 am

Could be a broken wire. As CJ said, check the continuity. Download the wiring manual from the downloads section. It should be a help.
Aido C
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby 01evolution » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:23 pm

hi,as far as i can figure out the wiring is good,the problem lies,i think,with a block connector beside the ecu connectors,it has 8 red wires connected to it but as i dont have an fto i cant check to see if it plugs into anything,i know it powers the sensors,injectors,cranks sensor etc on the engine and as far as i can tell there is no power going to it,anyone any ideas what it connects to?
yeah the engine dropped in easy enough,the gearbox is off a manual mivec i found in scotland and had it shipped over,everything else with the conversion is handy enough apart from the wiring,thanks for all your replies,
stan
01evolution

Postby Aido C » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:05 pm

01evolution wrote:hi,as far as i can figure out the wiring is good,the problem lies,i think,with a block connector beside the ecu connectors,it has 8 red wires connected to it but as i dont have an fto i cant check to see if it plugs into anything
stan

That block doesn't connect into anything. It's not a plug.
Aido C

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:25 pm

what setup are you using for the fuel pump?
colm_mcm

Postby 01evolution » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:02 pm

hi,just using the standard lancer fuel pump,it is working as im getting fuel to the fuel rail.after too many hours tracing wires ive found that the 7 or 8 red wires that come from the connector beside the ecu connectors are not connected to either a power source or the ecu,they all run to other block connectors and since ive only the ecu connected maybe im missing something.there is a small black and red wire that runs from the starter and connects to the engine harness,about three inches from where it connects is another much bigger black connector with ten wires running into it,red,black,black/white,white/black,yellow/green,white/green,pink/blue,light green,black/yellow,blue/white,i cant find anything it connects into but now im thinking its the fuse box (which i dont have),if someone knows or could have a look for me that would be a great help.
thanks,
stan
01evolution

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:18 am

I think you need to use the orighinal FTO fuel pump. As outlined in a previous post, I had the same symptoms as you had. The ECU takes a signal from the fuel level sender, if the fuel goes below a certain level, then it cuts off the pulse to the injectors.
colm_mcm

Postby 01evolution » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:14 am

finally got it started today,the engine control relay was missing from the engine loom,once i installed it it started first time.it sounds great,i installed a 2.5 inch custom exhaust,havent driven it yet but i hope to tomorrow.still seems to be one or two sensors missing as the idle is well high,i could do with a look at an fto just to work out whats missing,if anyones free over the weekend for a few mins to check out the engine bay that would be great,i live in wicklow,has to be a gpx,
cheers,
stan
01evolution

Postby Dilogoat86 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm in Knocklyon, close enough up the M50 if you want to take a peek sometime on Saturday?
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby RockShox » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:50 am

How's the project car? I have the same project but it's a 6A12 Non Mivec.
The engine directly bolts on using the same FTO engine mounts. All 4 wheel disc brakes directly bolts on too. Basically got an FTO in a form of a Lancer.

Taken off from the halfcut FTO GR

Front disc
* marked as for a lancer.

Rear disc

transplant begins

Got the engine in
Using the same FTO mounts

Rear Disc mounted

Final bolt ins

Buzz Specs that came with the FTO

Even used the same LCA and Stabilizer bar from the FTO.

Rear upper struts

FTO Wheels

Done!

Track test
RockShox
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical