Car cut out

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Car cut out

Postby soc » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:36 am

Driving into work this morning and as I slowed down to a stop at traffic lights my GR just cut out. It's done this before twice but each time it restarted itself no problems. This is the first time it's done this for ages. It has no trouble with idling when hot or cold and the car was pretty warm this morning although I had not been driving hard.

I think someone mentioned something about some wires near the cambelt before (?) anyone know why this might happen?

Cheers
Shane
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:50 am

There are wires near the belts that can be taken out if the power steering or alternator belts snap, but this is obviously not whats happened to you.
Have a go at cleaning up the stepper motor anyway, it won't do any harm and may be the root of your problem. If it keeps happening, you would be as well to get the car onto a MUT-II for some detailed analysis.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:05 pm

CJ wrote:There are wires near the belts that can be taken out if the power steering or alternator belts snap, but this is obviously not whats happened to you.
Have a go at cleaning up the stepper motor anyway, it won't do any harm and may be the root of your problem. If it keeps happening, you would be as well to get the car onto a MUT-II for some detailed analysis.

Ciaran

Happened again at lunchtime. I think I'll do an ECU reset and if it happens again after that I'll have a go at cleaning the stepper motor.... jeez, lots of little jobs to do now, rear arb bushes (when camskill get more in), passenger rear bushes, sound deadening for boot lid, new cd changer, oil change....... oh well there goes next saturday :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:12 pm

Shane, what material are you using for sound deadening and whats it costing? Rather than using Dynamat or Brown Bread, I was looking for sticky sided bitumen (used for roofing) but I can't find it anywhere. The lads in the UK use it as its a whole lot cheaper than the 'proper' stuff and does just as good a job.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:34 pm

CJ wrote:Shane, what material are you using for sound deadening and whats it costing? Rather than using Dynamat or Brown Bread, I was looking for sticky sided bitumen (used for roofing) but I can't find it anywhere. The lads in the UK use it as its a whole lot cheaper than the 'proper' stuff and does just as good a job.

Ciaran

I got some stuff similar to what you're describing for my GS - it was black bitumen/tar-like which had to be heated slightly to make it pliable. I got it from the motor factors in artane. But to be honest I'm not sure how good it actually was, it didn't seem to make that much of a difference. I reckon it's probably great for sound waves as in music etc. but not so great for stopping that classic FTO tin boot sound :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical