The Price Of Perfection

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Price Of Perfection

Postby DubC » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 am

Those deflectors do really help to give it a meaner look imo.
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:10 pm

So I took a few snaps before she goes away :cry:

She could have done with a clean, but I will do that just before she gets covered.

97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 pm

The fire extinguisher is a nice touch, Think I will look into getting one of them.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby brccrx » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:48 am

I found them little bits ya need, also i see ya have broken speaker cover on passenger door, i'll have one for You too 8)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 pm

brccrx wrote:I found them little bits ya need, also i see ya have broken speaker cover on passenger door, i'll have one for You too 8)

Cheers. I got the bits I needed in the end Seb.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:33 am

I have religiously and sometimes obsessively updated this thread with updates to my beautiful FTO. As all of you know, I had intended on having her stored away at the end of last month. Well, she is not stored away and may not be stored at all. Nearly 2 weeks ago, the FTO suffered the same fate as my previous 94GR in 2011. Only this time, the damage is significantly worse. I had stopped to allow a car pass me in the opposite direction on a country road and I heard a skid and a whollop, shunting my car forward a couple of metres. The car that hit mine was of similar weight and was a sports coupe. The other driver did admit fault right away and had both vehicles towed. I won't go into any more details and won't be answering question as to the full circumstances of the collision for good reason.

This is the car :cry:

The car drives perfectly, but as you can see, the damage is pretty bad, with the left chassis arm bent. The best answer for repair is a donor car, but it won't be cheap and will never be 100% back to the way it was. I am so gutted by this, you wouldn't believe it. I want to fix the car, but I am not sure if I should. Maybe I should start all over, using parts from my FTO? But I just don't want to let it die if I can fix it, even if it means cutting off the dead metal and welding parts from a donor car. I could get GVD to do this work for around €1000-€1500. Insurance paying 2k and I keep the car. Any opinions?

I was unfortunate enough to not only get some nasty whiplash injury to the rear AND front of my neck (I didn't know that could even happen). I have also suffered a back injury, again, whiplash. I'm receiving GP care and also physio over the next few weeks. The other driver suffered a back injury also and a sprained wrist. His vehicle is also totalled. I won't post up pics though.

Although I won't be driving an fto for an unknown time, I still want to have one stored. Am I mad? I think I am, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to be the owner of one of the best and under valued cars around.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby waynebowden » Sat May 10, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi Goz,

I feel so sorry for you, its obvious how much you love your car.

Firstly thank god your injury's arent more serious, but again still whiplash and back problems can be haunting injuries.

Goz the 2k have you accepted this as i would be pushing for more and you can have the car independently valued if need be.

I personaly think when a car has been smashed like this its never the same.

I think you should cut you loss and us this as a doner

For 2000-3000 you coulf pick up a rare example, mabey a Car of the year edition in yellow? Or a GpVR?

Again so sorry this has happened!
waynebowden
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby brccrx » Mon May 12, 2014 1:11 am

Ive no words to tell :cry:

All it really matters that You and the other involved are ok (!)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby technikhaus » Mon May 12, 2014 8:33 am

:shock: :( So sorry to hear :(
I would love to see it repaired, personally.
But as you said, some say they are never the same after :(
1996 FTO GPX Manual in White with sunroof :D
technikhaus
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 pm

I was looking at a GPvR with no engine for 500 on done deal, but the guy selling was a total arsehole and time waster. I decided not to pursue it. I would have got a whole custom job done again, running into some big money, so it's probably just as well they guy was a tool who couldn't even be arsed to send on his address when I wanted to view the car. His ad has since been removed by done deal.

I'll be talking to GVD about the costs of using a donor car to replace the rear end AND getting it back to 100%. It would mean cutting out the whole boot floor, but if the numbers stack up, I am willing to get it done. I would use it as an opportunity to make further improvements to the engine bay area, getting it cleaned and sprayed and maybe adding a bit of flash. Not really sure yet. I would want to make it better than before!

If it can be done properly, i'll be putting my crazy thinking cap on. Although I may need to wait a while before I can get anything done. Between doctors bills, medication and physio and what not, I won't have any extra funds to lump into the car and i can't do any of the work myself. The quack says I have fluid build up around a disc in my neck, which could point to a bulging disc. I have to go back in to get it checked out tomorrow. For the moment, my med strength has been increased for the second time and i've gone from 1 diazepam a night, to 3 times a day. Fingers crossed it's all ok and I don't turn into a legal junkie.

Thankfully there is no rush to fix the fto, because I have my super cool mondeo and don't need the fto for driving :lol:
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue May 13, 2014 1:44 pm

Terrible luck and injuries to make matters worse - nightmare.

Hard to think that it could be made perfect again, but no doubt it can be done if the right men are on the job.

Best of luck with it all.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wagalini » Tue May 13, 2014 3:02 pm

I feel really sorry for you goz after all the love you've shown for this car. The main thing though is that you'll be ok after it all.

Sounds like it's not impossible to get her back in top condition so I hope you can do it.

Get better soon man!
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Goz did I see you drive past Atlas in Baldoyle at around 13:00 today? Did you get the car fixed?
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:12 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:Goz did I see you drive past Atlas in Baldoyle at around 13:00 today? Did you get the car fixed?

It would have been plastered up all over here if it was. My car is still in damaged state and I have been unable to drive for 2 weeks now from back injury. I wish it was me you had seen driving. Must have been a nice fto.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:56 am

I have my "to do" list done and dropped up to gvd yesterday. I am debating on whether i should add HID reinstallation to the list, but the whole nct fiasco is putting me right off.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Work started this week on the repair. Received a couple of photos from GVD of the progress. Looks like it's coming along.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Nice! When is she going to be back on the road?
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Wagalini » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:30 am

Great to hear! I hope it won't take that long.
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:18 am

Temeeo wrote:Nice! When is she going to be back on the road?

She won't be back on the road anytime soon. I still plan to put her into storage. I will be a bit torn when it comes time to take her back though. I doubt I will be able to drive her when the work is done :cry:
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:24 am

I will be able to drive her :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby akay47 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:22 am

Alright goz how's it going? Have you got her sorted yet? Just been looking at your fto and a bloody nice car I must say . How did you mount the air filter? On my one the previous owner just sat it in the old airbox and cable tied it on to where ever it looks shabby I must say. So want to take the rest of the airbox out but need and idea to hang or mount preferable to somewhere. I'll take a pic and show you what I mean.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:16 am

akay47 wrote:Alright goz how's it going? Have you got her sorted yet? Just been looking at your fto and a bloody nice car I must say . How did you mount the air filter? On my one the previous owner just sat it in the old airbox and cable tied it on to where ever it looks shabby I must say. So want to take the rest of the airbox out but need and idea to hang or mount preferable to somewhere. I'll take a pic and show you what I mean.

My induction kit came with a bracket, which holds it in place. Wasn't cheap though, but the way I see it, is, if you want it looking right, you have to spend time and money. Cheap looking crap is....well.....cheap looking crap.

I expected my car would be ready last week actually. I might drop up in a couple of days to have a look. As I can't drive it, I am not in a rush. I think it might be just the back window that needs to be replaced. The old window had a few welding spots that only I ever noticed, so I asked for it to be replaced.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:51 pm

My beauty has come home today. Wow, I am well impressed with the work done at GVD AUTOS. She is looking like a proper lady again and boy did I miss that roar from the V6 Mivec. She now sits idle in my driveway. What breaks my heart is that I cannot drive her because I my injury :cry:

Anyway. Here she is.

and she is back to new

Naturally, the interior is the same, so I won't repost those :mrgreen:
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Rare color this is! Finally she back home.......but you cant enjoy it now :r
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:06 pm

brccrx wrote:Rare color this is! Finally she back home.......but you cant enjoy it now :r

I can only enjoy looking at it Seb. I am unable to drive a manual car anymore. I also think it would be too low for me to drive. I am stuck with a boring old automatic. I actually have a disabled parking permit now. At my age, it's embarrassing!
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

PreviousNext

Return to General FTO Discussion