new 97 gpvr4 4wd

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Re: new 97 gpvr4

Postby Danny Kierans » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 am

TopCat wrote:Somehow it never regeistered in my brain that you are converting to 4wd too, I thought it was just a straight engine swap. I see it now in the very first post, but its only when I read the last post about the floor plans that it clicked! Makes it that much more unique. Very ambitious, fair play.

up dated the heading. thanks , yes im going all out. i want an evo 7 but they dont look as nice as fto. so this is the best answer. and cheaper. :D
My new site http://www.turbowizz.com
The Kandy FTO maker. :)
Playstation id= danny-jnr-why

NO-1GR MANUAL 96|NO-2GR TIP 94|NO-3 GPVR MANUAL 97|
Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: new 97 gpvr4

Postby Danny Kierans » Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

colm_mcm wrote:Motor display systems

couldnt find were they did badge's ?

im looking for something like this

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: new 97 gpvr4 4wd

Postby colm_mcm » Fri May 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Sorry, just thinking back there, d+s roe are who you're looking for.
You may have a problem getting a oneoff, but if you put some number plate/dealer sticker/tax disc holder business their way they might oblige.

Or you could get these:
http://www.sourcingmap.com/english-alph ... 35797.html

Halfords also do vw style lettering for around €2.99 per letter. Had them on my blue fto.
colm_mcm

Postby Danny Kierans » Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 pm

colm_mcm wrote:Sorry, just thinking back there, d+s roe are who you're looking for.
You may have a problem getting a oneoff, but if you put some number plate/dealer sticker/tax disc holder business their way they might oblige.

Or you could get these:
http://www.sourcingmap.com/english-alph ... 35797.html

Halfords also do vw style lettering for around €2.99 per letter. Had them on my blue fto.

i get all that stuff off d+s roe already. ill ask my rep on monday thanks.

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat May 21, 2011 12:10 am

For some reason I'm only picking up on the fact you are considering going 4wd with the FTO.
Can't see this happening without massive work - how would you get the FTO to fit the VR4 floorplan/drivetrain?
And its not like you could just transfer the 4wd system from the VR4 over - for instance theres no way the propshaft would fit under the FTO.

IMHO you should keep it simple - FTO FWD chassis combined with VR4 engine and concentrate on getting it mapped properly and up and running with a diff / good brakes and suspension.

You are entering a world of pain (and expense) with the 4WD idea.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby asti rs » Sat May 21, 2011 3:51 pm

fto rear is pretty smiler to the colt underneath all the bolt holes for the diff and stuff are there as it is so cutting out the boot floor them welding up whats needed not that big a job with a good welder and mechanic
asti rs
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Danny Kierans » Sun May 22, 2011 2:22 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:For some reason I'm only picking up on the fact you are considering going 4wd with the FTO.
Can't see this happening without massive work - how would you get the FTO to fit the VR4 floorplan/drivetrain?
And its not like you could just transfer the 4wd system from the VR4 over - for instance theres no way the propshaft would fit under the FTO.

IMHO you should keep it simple - FTO FWD chassis combined with VR4 engine and concentrate on getting it mapped properly and up and running with a diff / good brakes and suspension.

You are entering a world of pain (and expense) with the 4WD idea.

check out my post before we already made an evo colt 4wd. and the fto floor plate is the same as colt and alncer and leggy.yes the prop shaft will need to be mod just like the colt.so it can be done and yes it is a big job but my fto is only my toy so it can go off road for as long as it takes. i will have a gpvr-4 4wd this time next year. or by this time next year we will be million airs ..lol

no really there is a high chance this will be a gpvr-4 4wd.

im planing to have it running at 350-380bhp so fwd not good idea. need 4wd to but it down on the road.and running it on an evo ecu with hybird turbos, uprated injectors,f.pump and more.i hope it works. i wont stop until it does. trust me.

if not im sorry but that is the plan which does look like we can do it.

already have an order in for when i do this 1 for the next gpx to be done. :smt003

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Danny Kierans » Sun May 22, 2011 2:28 am

asti rs wrote:fto rear is pretty smiler to the colt underneath all the bolt holes for the diff and stuff are there as it is so cutting out the boot floor them welding up whats needed not that big a job with a good welder and mechanic

:smt023

yes they are

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Danny Kierans » Sun May 22, 2011 2:29 am

got the vr4 leggy today. happy as a pig in crap. watch this page. :wink:

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby CJ » Sun May 22, 2011 9:13 am

Danny, I'd love to see a picture diary when you get started on the job, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would follow it with interest.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Danny Kierans » Sun May 22, 2011 10:40 pm

CJ wrote:Danny, I'd love to see a picture diary when you get started on the job, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would follow it with interest.

CJ

i sure will. loads of pictures will come.im thinking of making it kandy blue then to,go away from the pearl white.

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby asti rs » Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Danny Kierans wrote:
asti rs wrote:fto rear is pretty smiler to the colt underneath all the bolt holes for the diff and stuff are there as it is so cutting out the boot floor them welding up whats needed not that big a job with a good welder and mechanic

:smt023

yes they are

taught as much but id stay fwd for more fun and ya could always run in itcc then if ya wanted plus i no of 2 egs 1 with 350bhp other with 450 fwd and there used everyday :mrgreen:
asti rs
Octane king
Octane king

Postby RichardB » Mon May 23, 2011 4:35 pm

good luck with the build.
RichardB
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Danny Kierans » Mon May 23, 2011 4:49 pm

RichardB wrote:good luck with the build.

thanks

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby colm_mcm » Mon May 23, 2011 8:54 pm

A TT dash would be class.
colm_mcm

Postby RichardB » Tue May 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Danny Kierans wrote:

thanks

gimie a shout if you need to know anything about the VR4 engine :)
RichardB
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Danny Kierans » Tue May 24, 2011 2:16 pm

dame just put her on the ramp. the leggy 4wd is notting like an evo or gsr. it will not do,ill have to buy a crashed gsr or evo 3. now. :evil:

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Danny Kierans » Tue May 24, 2011 2:18 pm

RichardB wrote:
Danny Kierans wrote:

thanks

gimie a shout if you need to know anything about the VR4 engine :)

have you an e.mail so i could send something to you if needed.

thanks

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby RichardB » Wed May 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Danny Kierans wrote:have you an e.mail so i could send something to you if needed.

thanks

richard <at> mitsubishi-fto.net
RichardB
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Danny Kierans » Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 pm

RichardB wrote:
Danny Kierans wrote:have you an e.mail so i could send something to you if needed.

thanks

richard <at> mitsubishi-fto.net

thanks mate.

started striping her down today.

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Danny Kierans » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 am

just a quick post to show both cars together before i start the madness.iv just being busy and going on holidays to spain next week so ill start when i come back.
Image Image
Image Image

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby gr fto reborn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:48 pm

hello mate. i have recently compleated my vr4 engine transplant. There are two people in the uk currently going through $wd conversions. one is swiss nick on the UK OC. the other is a guy called Marco who is building a FTO roadster with 4wd EVO power. The way these guys have done this is taken an EVO 4 floor and replaced the fto with it. http://fullyloadedcars.com/fto-project.html Here is some images for you to chew through.

with regards to getting the vr4 block into the fto. you will need to keep the FTO power steering pump and relocate one of the high pressure PS lines to run over the block or the rear turbo melts it. i would also relocate the brake manifold and the fuel filter onto the bulkhead above the seam line. you will also need plenty of heat wrap around the shifter cables or again they get melted. littel dent required in the bulkead for the rear turbo to fit. you shouldnt have any probs with the starter motor or front actuator as your usning VR4 G-box. with regards to wiring it is a whole lot easier to go with a standalone ECU. Jinglis on the FTOOC has posted pinout diagrams etc which are very usefull. I had eurospec do my wiring as thats far too much for me. Get a decent radiator, heat wrap your exhaust and get some high flow fans or you will have the overheating issues i am getting ATM. The rear downpipe from the turbo pretty much hits the steering rack so get custom down pipes made up and get a nice stiff rear engine mount i feel the FTO ones just arn't up to it. If you rusing the standerd bonnet prepare to get the grinder out.

TBH thats all i can remeber ATM. good luck mate i hope your pockets are deep. i did £5k getting my block in and im still spending.
gr fto reborn
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:33 pm

gr fto reborn wrote:hello mate. i have recently compleated my vr4 engine transplant. ........
with regards to getting the vr4 block into the fto. you will need to keep the FTO power steering pump and relocate one of the high pressure PS lines to run over the block or the rear turbo melts it. i would also relocate the brake manifold and the fuel filter onto the bulkhead above the seam line. you will also need plenty of heat wrap around the shifter cables or again they get melted. littel dent required in the bulkead for the rear turbo to fit. you shouldnt have any probs with the starter motor or front actuator as your usning VR4 G-box. with regards to wiring it is a whole lot easier to go with a standalone ECU. Jinglis on the FTOOC has posted pinout diagrams etc which are very usefull. I had eurospec do my wiring as thats far too much for me. Get a decent radiator, heat wrap your exhaust and get some high flow fans or you will have the overheating issues i am getting ATM. The rear downpipe from the turbo pretty much hits the steering rack so get custom down pipes made up and get a nice stiff rear engine mount i feel the FTO ones just arn't up to it. If you rusing the standerd bonnet prepare to get the grinder out.

TBH thats all i can remeber ATM. good luck mate i hope your pockets are deep. i did £5k getting my block in and im still spending.

Some excellent info there. Really not surprised to hear a figure of 5K GBP for the transplant (and that wouldn't include the 4WD drivetrain). Even after you fit the VR4 block you'd probably have to look at oil coolers, LSD and upgraded suspension and a big brake kit. I personally would bother with the 4WD idea Danny - a good LSD and 300bhp + will be plenty entertaining.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gr fto reborn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:14 pm

My car is currently running low on boost and subsequently low on power. But I have no LSD either. At 230 bhp it's a price of piss to drive really. But it will be a different story once I have sorted my boost issue out. I went out with Jinglis in his 310bhp fwd fto and it's an animal he has a cusco LSD I think. The guy is a 6'3" rugby player and he had to hold on lol. The power goes down quite well tbh. I am sorting out the overheating issues you get with this conversion ATM. So add to the list.
Oil cooler, ali radiator, high flow fans, vented bonnet, heat wrap, and engine ice.
gr fto reborn
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:55 pm

+ oil temp, oil pressure and boost guages - you'll need to be able to keep an eye on an aftermarket set-up.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

PreviousNext

Return to General FTO Discussion