De-locking

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

De-locking

Postby Daz » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:05 pm

I'm contemplating getting my car de-locked has anyone got this done or do they know of where i can get it done

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:59 am

I'm think that a few boy racers around the place have had this done, I'd put a post on the maxed-ie.net Styling forum and see what comes back :arrow:

http://maxed-ie.net/forum/forumdisplay. ... forumid=10

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: De-locking

Postby soc » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:46 pm

Daz wrote:I'm contemplating getting my car de-locked has anyone got this done or do they know of where i can get it done

I'm sure any good body shop could do it.... AFAIK all it involves is removing the lock and welding a plate over the lock hole, smoothing down and repainting. expensive though.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:52 pm

Pardon my ignorance but why would you want to do that?

Does this mean that you are totally relying on the fob to gain entry to the car?
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:02 pm

Pardon my ignorance but why would you want to do that?

Well it ads to the overall look of the car and gives it a more streamlined look.

I think you can delock and also install a release leaver somewhere else in the car (eg. engine bay) in the event that you get stuck. I seem to remember a post about this on Smartgroups at one stage, a search of the web might bring something up?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ivan E » Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:42 pm

I suppose it would add to it alright but it sounds like it would cost a lot for such a small detail.

My main worry over something like that is that the FTO's weak central locking motor on the driver's side would not inspire me to get rid of my lock (even though my driver's lock is not in the best condition, is it expensive for a new lock?).

I had a problem with mine when it just stopped working, which I posted about here, thanks for the help with that Ciaran BTW, but it started working again. Seems its a common problem and unless the motor has been changed I am not sure I would do something like that as it may well look good, if you have to get in the passenger side or use a lever in the engine bay would take away from the look that is trying to be achieved.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Daz » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:57 am

Thanks for the info guys

As regards why i would do this it would be for security reasons not just the enhanced looks. Thus far i have had the drivers door lock punched in several times when either young lads messing or someone trying to steel it. As regards the faulty motors i would also be upgrading them aswell just to be on the safe side but as far as i am aware there is on override facility for just said problem or dead battery.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Ivan E » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:17 pm

As a matter of interest, did you replace the lock or repair it? And how much did it cost in either case? My lock is a bit damaged, still works which is good when the remote central locking decides to act up.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Daz » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:47 pm

Just repaired it as there was little or no damage done, it was just punched backwards into the door, i'm guessing since it is only a flimsy clip that holds it in place it is easy to do with a parallel punch or a screwdriver,

Ivan E wrote:As a matter of interest, did you replace the lock or repair it? And how much did it cost in either case? My lock is a bit damaged, still works which is good when the remote central locking decides to act up.
Daz

Postby soc » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:28 pm

Daz wrote:Thus far i have had the drivers door lock punched in several times when either young lads messing or someone trying to steel it.

That's a real pain in the ass - where has all this happened. There is a few things I hate with a passion and one of those is thieving scum (burglars, muggers, car thieves etc) - have no respect or sympathy for them!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:35 am

Daz, if you havn't seen this section on Lee Hemmings site, its worth a look:

http://www.ex-s.net/carstuff/fto/ftohtm ... /index.htm
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General FTO Discussion