Ànyone here on a provisional license?

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Ànyone here on a provisional license?

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:31 am

From the Indo

Drive-alone ban to hit 420,000 learners

By Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent
Friday October 26 2007

MORE than 420,000 learner drivers will be banned from driving alone from midnight on Monday.

Their insurance will be also invalidated if they crash, road safety chiefs warned last night.

If people flout the new law -- announced by the Government yesterday -- they face fines of €1,000 or jail terms of up to three years on a second offence.

Gardai last night insisted they would implement the drastic new measures which will put an end to provision licence holders, on their second licence, being allowed to drive without being accompanied by a fully qualified driver.

The new learner permit system starts from Tuesday.

It replaces the provisional licence with a learner permit - but crucially, all current licence holders will have to abide by the new restrictions.

Assistant Garda Commissioner in charge of the Garda Traffic Corps, Eddie Rock, said the new rules would be enforced "in a very effective manner".

He insisted: "Prosecutions will be taken."

Mr Rock also emphasised that gardai would police the changes in a commonsense manner which involved advice and cautions to motorists driving unaccompanied.

The serious prospect of learner drivers who flout the changes not being insured was raised last night by chief executive of the Road Safety Authority, Noel Brett.

"It is our understanding that if drivers are not accompanied by a qualified driver they will not be insured and will invalidate their insurance in the event of a crash," he said.

The safety chief urged anyone on either a learner permit or a provisional licence to check with their insurance companies if they planned to drive unaccompanied.

Insurance sources said last night that while injured parties would be covered in a crash, some insurance companies could introduce clauses onto crash damage of the driver's car.

Learner permit holders will have to have held the permit for at least six months before applying for a driving test from December 1.

RSA chairman Gay Byrne said the new measures were necessary as inexperience was one of the major causes of road accidents here.

"It's absolutely statistically true that the 17- to 26-year-old male -- and it's a male problem, not a female problem -- are among the most dangerous drivers on the road," he said.

"Because young men suffer from a disease which can only be described as '17 to 26' -- that is the disease in itself,'' added Mr Byrne.

The plan will also involve the introduction of mandatory tuition for all learner drivers over the next three years.

The professional tuition will have to be recorded in a logbook.

It is also planned to introduce a reduced speed limit for learner drivers and a zero alcohol limit.

Under the new road safety strategy, the Road Safety Authority is to advise the Government on the recommended new blood alcohol level for drivers, but there no level given in the strategy.

It states that the Government will act immediately thereafter.

The new five-year plan is designed to save 400 lives between now and 2012.

The strategy contains 126 measures with specific and non-specific implementation dates. Named officials have been put in charge of each measure.

Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey yesterday said: "In effect it holds people accountable for saving lives and nobody can shirk from that."

Mr Dempsey said they had full buy-in from all of the agencies and government departments who had signed up to the strategy.

"There is 100pc commitment to make it work," he said.

Also included in the action plan is the national rollout of a Garda Traffic Corps by the end of 2008.

"This strategy must be a success. We know that. We owe it to the families of those who have tragically lost their lives on Irish roads over the years," added Mr Dempsey.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, who launched the plan yesterday, said it should see Ireland approaching the best practice levels of the best performing counties in Europe.

Warning

The AA warned that it must be followed through with a clear commitment for implementation. Conor Faughnan of the AA said yesterday: "Our only concern is that the Government cannot allow these critical measures to be stalled by foot-dragging in the implementation, a problem which dogged the previous strategies."

- Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Get those licenses sorted Ireland...admit it - we all know the current situation really doesn't make sense..

I mean - how is it right to drive home from a failed driving test??
how is it right to be driving - if you don't have a license... reform the system!

[/high horse]
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Kace » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:41 pm

It's about time the government have taken the finger out and put some measures in place to stop people who have not passed any driving proficiency test whatsoever from burning about on our roads. We must have been the laughing stock of Europe having such leniency.

Good old Gaybo !! :P
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Marie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:05 pm

Gota agree lad's
However as a person having many provisional licenced friend's it's very rare u actually see a crash on the news involving a car with L plates up? Diana was killed by one of the world's most skilled driver's?
Ireland's main problem is drink driver's & the state of our road's why do we even pay tax?
When you're good, you're good....... but when you're great you're ME
Marie
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:10 pm

gfalls wrote:He might have been one of the worlds most skilled drivers, but that all goes out the window when your pi$$ed...!

.....and your passengers aren't wearing seatbelts..

Anyway, statistically learner drivers are far more likely to have accidents than fully lisenced drivers
colm_mcm

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:52 am

Just in case you didn't hear / the above has been postponed 8 months..

Handy for any learners needing their car for work..atleast now there's a chance they might get a test..(friend of mine has been waiting for 4 months.)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Daz » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:13 am

Marie wrote:Gota agree lad's
However as a person having many provisional licenced friend's it's very rare u actually see a crash on the news involving a car with L plates up?

Ah yes but how many of your friends drive around with their L plates showing i knew of plenty of learners that didn't display their plates.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby JD » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:53 am

Muad_dib77 wrote:Handy for any learners needing their car for work..atleast now there's a chance they might get a test..(friend of mine has been waiting for 4 months.)

The problem now is that the steady trickle of applications, which they are struggling to deal with, will shoot up as 400,000+ people try to get a test. I think they've ruined their chances of getting the waiting list q's down to eight weeks by Feb '08.

It's a good idea but they should have waitied until they had all their new testers in place and then rolled it out over a two year period - or just give another amnesty :shock: :roll: .
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:29 pm

Yeah it should definately have been done differently..
I totally agree with the overall idea..but it could definately have been processed a bit better..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Return to Motor Insurance